Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 7:48:47 AM EDT
I’m about to finish a 14.5 pin and weld, I need to slap an optic on it. It’s a back up gun and not one of my main carbines. It is mainly colt and bcm parts, my dilemma is I want an acog since I have always thought they’re a good general purpose optic, especially the acss aurora model. But that is not a cheap optic and I would feel bad buying that optic for one of my guns that isn’t going to get used a whole bunch. So maybe keep it cheap with a holosun of the 503 variety, my acss 503 is nice but I have a bit of astigmatism so red dots are a bit of a slash for me. My Eotech at work is perfectly clear for me but eotech’s have a less than ideal battery life. I lean towards the holosun 503 because of the multi reticle options. I prefer the 503 over the 403 I got for the reticle and the battery compartment too. I’m a fan of Trijicon LPVO’s and have some accupoints, accupowers, and VCOG’s. But those aren’t cheap, the primary arms acss scopes but I don’t remember them being very bright from the ones my buddies had. Vote in the poll and help spend my money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a Primary Arms GLx-2x in your poll, so voted "something else".
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up an MRO for my AR.

What is your intended use? You said back-up carbine. is this meant for CQB type ranges? Or longer? Acog may be a hinderance depending on the power you get and the intended range.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Just because its a "backup" gun doesn't mean you throw crappy optics on it.  Heaven forbid you need it and you cheaped out on parts/optics.  If you want a LVPO get a Razor
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd wait till the 3rd quarter for the new micro prism from PA.

Or their new 1-10
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Delta Stryker 1-6.  It's basically a Trijicon LPVO with a better reticle/daylight bright.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the Delta Stryker 1-6.  It's basically a Trijicon LPVO with a better reticle/daylight bright.
View Quote

I saw that one and looked it up and I saw the reticle, I’ve gotten used to my segmented circle accupower and VCOG that I prefer that style. My concern on the delta is also durability. I know Trijicon is going to last.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just picked up an MRO for my AR.

What is your intended use? You said back-up carbine. is this meant for CQB type ranges? Or longer? Acog may be a hinderance depending on the power you get and the intended range.
View Quote

I have an MRO on one carbine already, i got a good deal from a friend on his. I would like to see the HD one with the circle dot reticle. It’s a general purpose gun, I could definitely use it at cqb flat range stuff. I’ve also been a fan of having magnification, the allure of the acog and Accupoint is the lack of batteries, lighter weight, and durability.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote glasses.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I say be patient and wait for a good deal on a regular Ta31. I bought one NOS with a Larue mount for $525 shipped on the EE.

Be patient and you will find a deal too good to pass on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Aimpoint PRO, or the PA GLx 2x.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
TA31 and offset dot
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I vote glasses.
View Quote

I have 20/20, and I’ve never had vision problems
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not try a 3x magnifier for your ACSS Holosun 503? That will clear up the fuzzy  reticle due to your astigmatism and essentially give you a daylight bright ultra light 1-3x FFP LPVO with BDC for 5.56 as a bonus.

Also, glasses can help with astigmatism even if your vision is otherwise good. I don’t have a strong enough prescription to require glasses for driving, reading, etc. but got glasses anyway for shooting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#15]
1x prism and 3x magnifier?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why not try a 3x magnifier for your ACSS Holosun 503? That will clear up the fuzzy  reticle due to your astigmatism and essentially give you a daylight bright ultra light 1-3x FFP LPVO with BDC for 5.56 as a bonus.

Also, glasses can help with astigmatism even if your vision is otherwise good. I don’t have a strong enough prescription to require glasses for driving, reading, etc. but got glasses anyway for shooting.
View Quote

I’ve never been big on magnifiers, but that’s mainly because the Eotech one was the only game in town. The 6x magnifier from primary arms is very cheap so maybe that’s an option.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  It’s a general purpose gun, I could definitely use it at cqb flat range stuff.

Based on my limited experience, I'd say the recommendation for an Aimpoint PRO was a good one for this role.

I’ve also been a fan of having magnification, the allure of the acog and Accupoint is the lack of batteries, lighter weight, and durability.

The PRO fits in here, too, relative to durability (reliability), lighter weight, and batteries that last so long the need to have them is not of concern.  

Being a "fan" of magnification and allowing that to drive your selection makes me think the firearm is also for use at the range.  Do you really plan to engage bad guys at >200 yards where magnification comes into play for identification and engagement?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’ve never been big on magnifiers, but that’s mainly because the Eotech one was the only game in town. The 6x magnifier from primary arms is very cheap so maybe that’s an option.
View Quote

EOTech’s magnifier price is a hard pill to swallow for only 3X boost in magnification, same with Aimpoint.

However, you’re clearly not opposed to import brands based on your red dot choice. Holosun and Vortex also make inexpensive magnifiers with QD mounts. You can move the magnifier between guns or just remove it to save weight when not needed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the ta-33 acog on my general purpose rifle - a fixed stock 16" middy. The a2 stock works for me being 6'5" with long arms and eye relief is not an issue with the ta-33. 3x is enough for me and the weight is a lot less than most red dots with a magnifier. Thinking of getting an offset rmr for backup/close range just to try it out. Worst case it can go on a pistol if I don't like it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want a fixed power battle sight, like the ACOG:

Steiner M332

I'll give you $100 for the binos.  Bonus, has a QD mount so you can keep that flip up rear.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The aimpoint PRO is a good optic, It's esentially the COMP M2. I would probably just get another MRO to save on weight and to keep the same CR2032 batteries.  As far as being able to identify,  or further shots, or make shots on smaller targets yes I do prefer havign some magnification.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m about to finish a 14.5 pin and weld, I need to slap an optic on it. It’s a back up gun and not one of my main carbines. It is mainly colt and bcm parts, my dilemma is I want an acog since I have always thought they’re a good general purpose optic, especially the acss aurora model. But that is not a cheap optic and I would feel bad buying that optic for one of my guns that isn’t going to get used a whole bunch. So maybe keep it cheap with a holosun of the 503 variety, my acss 503 is nice but I have a bit of astigmatism so red dots are a bit of a slash for me. My Eotech at work is perfectly clear for me but eotech’s have a less than ideal battery life. I lean towards the holosun 503 because of the multi reticle options. I prefer the 503 over the 403 I got for the reticle and the battery compartment too. I’m a fan of Trijicon LPVO’s and have some accupoints, accupowers, and VCOG’s. But those aren’t cheap, the primary arms acss scopes but I don’t remember them being very bright from the ones my buddies had. Vote in the poll and help spend my money.
View Quote

You have multiple VCOGs? If you ever want to make a donation to the Church of CommandoDad...
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I run Aimpoints on all of mine.
I change the battery every 2 years in them, but possibly could go much longer.
I can crank up the dot large for close work and turn it down to a fine dot for 100 yard work.
I noticed they are still making the pro model.
pro runs about $400 but it comes with the mount which usually is a added expense.
Check out larue they make great mounts and you can buy a Aimpoint with a Larue mount, they usually throw in some "Swag" with orders.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Aimpoint T2's.

I also have an NX8 which is nice.

Thermal and NODS for night time.

T2 is my favorite.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You have multiple VCOGs? If you ever want to make a donation to the Church of CommandoDad...
View Quote

Maybe not a donation but I’m considering selling my 1-6 VCOG to get a credo.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As far as being able to identify,  or further shots, or make shots on smaller targets yes I do prefer havign some magnification.
View Quote

I mentioned those because a 14.5" barrel is not usually associated with longer distance shooting.  Still, it's up to you, I was just trying to raise issues,... to get you to consider them before you spend the money..
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree the PRO is a good optic and it’s one I recommend to people. I prefer the MRO for being slightly smaller and the CR2032 batteries over the little drum batteries.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I mentioned those because a 14.5" barrel is not usually associated with longer distance shooting.  Still, it's up to you, I was just trying to raise issues,... to get you to consider them before you spend the money..
View Quote
Military employs 14.5" barreled M4s at ranges beyond 300m all the time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]
ACSS Aurora ACOG with offset RMR is my favorite setup, I have 3
I probably wouldn't run an ACOG without a dot for close range though, if only one optic maybe a TR24 or Kahles if you have the bones.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ACSS Aurora ACOG with offset RMR is my favorite setup, I have 3
I probably wouldn't run an ACOG without a dot for close range though, if only one optic maybe a TR24 or Kahles if you have the bones.
View Quote

I have an extra TR24 lying around right now, it’s the German 4 crosshair. It was my first LPVO. It worked well in my first 3gun match and I’ve used it hog and varmint hunting. It may wear that in the interim. The ACOG has always been an optic I wanted to own and the new aurora reticle looks awesome even though I always liked the horseshoe dot reticle too. Do you run the RMR at 45 or piggy backed?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I use the Arisaka set at 35 degree offset. With an offset RMR the center of the dot lines up to the center height of the ACOG when your rotate.
45 degrees is too much IMO.  Lots of people like the piggyback, it's personal preference.  If you're running around with passive heads up aiming you might like the piggyback better, I prefer the offset so my height over bore POA POI is the same for both optics. I do most of my shooting from 100-400 meters and occasional snap shots up close with the dot, with practice works just as well as a primary red dot up top (for me.) I wouldn't want the offset setup if I mostly did shooting close up and running around barriers and transitioning targets quickly, definitely an Aimpoint or Eotech\1x LPVO for that. The rotation of your wrist or chicken wing of your arm will get tiresome having to make lots of shots in a row rotated.  
I've tried all the ACOG reticles, including the standard horseshoe and the ACSS horseshoe, both for me cover up too much of the target's general area when making precise shots. I like to clearly see all around what I'm aiming at, especially small stuff. The ACSS horseshoe is much smaller than the standard one, the inside of the ring feels fairly cramped. If you're looking for more speed on silhouettes you might like the horseshoe better, shooting cans at 150 go chevron.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd wait till the 3rd quarter for the new micro prism from PA.

Or their new 1-10
View Quote

Anyone have any info on this^ would love a G series w/griffin recital and 34mm tube.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Parallax test results on common/popular red dots.  Food for thought in making a choice.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Standing by for the obligatory Eotech hate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Of the 14.5"s that have have, one has a TA31RCOM4 and the another has a T2.

I prefer the ACOG.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I have two T2 knock offs with the holosun 403 and 503 but honestly for dots I prefer the square window of an Eotech. The t2 style always felt tube like to me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m surprised the majority of the votes are acogt
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm surprised the majority of the votes are acogt
View Quote
Because it's not the most advanced optic out there, but it's easily the highest quality optic on your list, and they just work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m surprised the majority of the votes are acogt
View Quote

The ACOG is still a great optic, and your list ranges wildly in price and quality.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#40]
It varies because I have a large collection as it is and I’m a mild optic snob with most of my guns having Trijicon LPVO’s or a MRO/eotech. So part of me says keep a good optic on it, the other part says it’s a backup backup gun throw a cheap dot on it. I might get a holosun as a place holder until I save up for an aurora acog, they’re also back ordered.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top