BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2019 7:27:09 PM EDT
I'm sure PMags are good but which Aluminum Mags are good as well?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
brownells has them and makes them
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, they are GTG.  I buy the stainless version.  Wait and they will go on sale with free shipping code
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, they are GTG.  I buy the stainless version.  Wait and they will go on sale with free shipping code
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Edited..Just did. Did you mean stainless steel body?

If so, couldn't find them.

Are the Okay 20 rounders any good?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep Okay are better than OK, great mags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep Okay are better than OK, great mags.
View Quote
I ordered a couple of Okays in Black Teflon from Botach to try .

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
^

All mine are Brownells'
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on Brownells 20’s
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have mostly Brownell’s.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
D&H, Magpul, & Lancer
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Brownell's work just fine, I have several of them and once you shoot them a few times, they break in and are very reliable.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Just received my Okay 20 rounders.

As expected, they seem well constructed.

Can't wait to try them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The mags worked fine today. However, this evening I reloaded them again and they are both nose diving. The follower is not binding and moving freely when performing the ruler test.

This sucks. OKAY Mags are supposed to be good.

I'll try Brownells next.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Straight 20s are not "no tilt" magazines, they can't be. Are you loading long such that the bullet tips are dragging or anything like that?

You can get curved 20 round magazines that use no-tilt followers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Straight 20s are not "no tilt" magazines, they can't be. Are you loading long such that the bullet tips are dragging or anything like that?

You can get curved 20 round magazines that use no-tilt followers.
View Quote
No. The tips aren't dragging. The rounds are all the way to the rear of the mag. Maximum COL is 2.250. Most are 2.245 and shorter.

If I remove a few rounds, the bullet comes up to clear the front of the mag.

I had them loaded to full capacity today and they functioned fine. Now they nosedive.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-223-5-56-ar-15-20-round-stainless-steel-magazine.html

Myself and a few friends have been running the 20 round ASC mags for a couple years.  They are stainless and allow for a longer OAL than polymer or aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay Surefeed
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Okay Surefeed
View Quote
That's what these are. They're Shit!

I loaded the mags again and when I get to around 15-16 rounds, the rounds nosedive and won't clear the front of the mag. The spring (weak) is shit and must have taken a set after one use!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#18]
You said they worked right?
Just shoot them
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just shoot them
View Quote
Yeah they worked but the rounds didn't nosedive the first time.

They aren't going to work the way they are now They may work if I download them to 14- 15 rounds but that's bullshit.

I'm sending them back and trying some Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I've seen the same thing with USGI 20 rounders. Can't remember if I reassembled it again to make sure they were assembled  right or if I just loaded it and ran it as is. Either way, it worked fine
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've seen the same thing with USGI 20 rounders. Can't remember if I reassembled it again to make sure they were assembled  right or if I just loaded it and ran it as is. Either way, it worked fine
View Quote
I can try loading it again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Surprised you are having issues. Never issues with OKAY but IIRC, the ones I have used are 30's.

Keep us updated, I sure don't want any 20's that are not reliable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#23]
So you haven't actually shot these and had malfunctions?

Keep in mind that the traditional 20 round mag has a different feedlip design and rounds will look and present a little differently than what you might be used to. They do look out of position in the photo you posted.

Make sure you are pushing the rounds to the back of the magazine when loading.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So you haven't actually shot these and had malfunctions?

Keep in mind that the traditional 20 round mag has a different feedlip design and rounds will look and present a little differently than what you might be used to. They do look out of position in the photo you posted.

Make sure you are pushing the rounds to the back of the magazine when loading.
View Quote
I messed around with them again and they appear Okay ( no pun intended) now.
I always push rounds to the rear of mags when loading.

It appears that the COL has to be a little shorter than with a 30 to work with these mags.

I measured all of the cartridges. There were a very few ( like 3) that measured between 2.253-2.254. I separated them and loaded them in the 30s.

The ones I loaded in the 20s were no longer than 2.245.

Normally 2.260 and shorter works fine with mags.

I'll report next time I shoot them.

One thing that I don't like is that the front of the rounds can be pushed too low, too easily with these 20 rounders.

Supposedly 20s are supposed to be very reliable compared to 30s but the way these are behaving;I don't understand how?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Just curious. How are the D@H 20 rounders?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#26]
D&H 20s are just shorter 30s, so work the same essentially. Use an anti-tilt follower for best performance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I know the question is for aluminum mags, and for this I have NHMTG mags, not sure if they still make them, also have some Brownells....never an issue.

But to be straight up, you cannot beat the 20 round Pmags or Lancers for bench shooting.

I have 10 Pmags and 6 Lancers that I use every weekend for years now, they have thousands and thousands of rounds through them with never an issue.  Have put the rest of my mags all away for later use.

The NHMTGs are straight, but if I were to purchase 20 round aluminum mags in the future, would look for the 20 round curved, as they can use the Magpul AT followers

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
D&H 20s are just shorter 30s, so work the same essentially. Use an anti-tilt follower for best performance.
View Quote
I'm going to try some. PSA has a deal on them. Supposedly they come with Magpul Followers.

I've always had great luck with D@H 30s.

To be honest, I'm not that impressed with the Okay straight 20s so far. The follower and spring seem a little flimsy and it doesn't take much to tilt them.

Also, evidently the rounds have to be a shorter COL to fit.

I may try PMag 20s in the future but for now I want to stick with Aluminum.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I got a bunch of Lancers before x-mas, great deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To be honest, I'm not that impressed with the Okay straight 20s so far. The follower and spring seem a little flimsy and it doesn't take much to tilt them.

Also, evidently the rounds have to be a shorter COL to fit.
View Quote
Straight 20's are the original, early Vietnam-era magazine design. Being straight, the follower has to allow tilt for the magazine to work. The feedlip design is different than later mags and more susceptible to damage.

Since they don't have to lift as many rounds, the springs are not as stiff as typical 30 round springs.

All that said, they are very popular for some usages and people use them a lot for decades with satisfactory results. I can't tell you if Okay is doing something different with these current production ones as all of mine are much older, but the over 50 year old mags I have used for ages still work fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They aren't going to work the way they are now They may work if I download them to 14- 15 rounds but that's bullshit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just shoot them

Maybe you should try them. I'm betting your test method is flawed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe you should try them. I'm betting your test method is flawed.
View Quote
No it isn't.

I will try them but when I loaded them initially, the rounds, nosedived and would not strip off the mag with my fingers. No way in hell it would have fed like that.

The way I have it loaded now, it should work.

I will report back after next range trip.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#33]
D&H 20 rounders work fine. If we ever meet up at the range you can give them a work out
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted: I will report back after next range trip.
View Quote
Tagged, to see how you fare.

Interesting because I have several gray body Okay 20's (recent) and they run GREAT. Longest load is PPU 75gr BTHP @ 2.250 on the nose. Other stuff incl Magtech 77gr OTM @ 2.246 is stored & dispensed with gusto. (No handloads, though.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tagged, to see how you fare.

Interesting because I have several gray body Okay 20's (recent) and they run GREAT. Longest load is PPU 75gr BTHP @ 2.250 on the nose. Other stuff incl Magtech 77gr OTM @ 2.246 is stored & dispensed with gusto. (No handloads, though.)
View Quote
Initially I had a few rounds that were 2.253-2.254. Evidently they were long enough to cause problems.with these mags.

They work fine in all of my 3Os.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#36]
BTW the brownells 'stainless' mags are stainless steel springs, they're usually available in either stainless steel or chrome silicon.

Some say the chrome silicon springs have a longer service life, I can say for sure the stainless springs are MUCH more rust resistant.

I've not had a problem with either my Brownells or OKAY/Surefeed straight 20s but IMHO I still like my Lancer 20s better and are my SHTF mags. The Lancers are pretty popular with .300bo as well so if they can cycle 200 gr. bullets with long OALs they should run any 5.56 just fine.

I've not seen it but I've read some of these mags can come with the springs installed backwards and casuse nosediving. I've opened all mine and were correct from the factory.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BTW the brownells 'stainless' mags are stainless steel springs, they're usually available in either stainless steel or chrome silicon.

Some say the chrome silicon springs have a longer service life, I can say for sure the stainless springs are MUCH more rust resistant.

I've not had a problem with either my Brownells or OKAY/Surefeed straight 20s but IMHO I still like my Lancer 20s better and are my SHTF mags. The Lancers are pretty popular with .300bo as well so if they can cycle 200 gr. bullets with long OALs they should run any 5.56 just fine.

I've not seen it but I've read some of these mags can come with the springs installed backwards and casuse nosediving. I've opened all mine and were correct from the factory.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip. I can open them and check.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
D&H 20 rounders work fine. If we ever meet up at the range you can give them a work out
View Quote
Thanks John.  I ordered some from PSA but haven't shipped yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Both mags worked flawlessly today.

I'm planning on using them on a regular basis.

Now I know to watch the COL. Nothing over 2.250.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad for the closure. :)
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Old 20 Rd USGI mags are my favorite.  I think mine were all bought used and I never had one that didn't work perfectly.  50 years later and they can't be be improved on.  Except maybe some can stand better being run over by a truck or something...
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I use the Magpul 10rd mags for bench shooting and load development
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Still waiting for my D@H 20 rounders. They didn't ship yet. I never had to wait this long with PSA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Old 20 Rd USGI mags are my favorite.  I think mine were all bought used and I never had one that didn't work perfectly.  50 years later and they can't be be improved on.  Except maybe some can stand better being run over by a truck or something...
View Quote
I have several of the GI 20rd mags and have never had a problem with any of them , even when in the Army in 69 this is what we had and used , I carried a combat load of 21 - 20rd mags all worked 100% even in full auto mode, if you can find them worth the money get some , Adventure Line , Simmonds , Colt  ,if I remember right most of the one we had were made by colt , they had the UI stamped in the front of them , and I'm thinking they were made by Okay with a colt floor plate , they all had allow followers in them and not one problem , dont understand why they stopped making them ..
I've been using the 20rd pmags and I like them also , not all will take 20rds ,  I trim off the bottom of the follower a little  so it can hold 20 ...
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks John.  I ordered some from PSA but haven't shipped yet.
View Quote
Welcome.  I just picked up a few Lancer 20 round
smoked translucent magazines. Hoping they run as
good as the solid Lancer 20 rounders.  Going to be
giving them a work out this spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I just loaded them up again for the next range trip.  I separated the rounds that were slightly over 2.250.  They seemed to load fine again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just loaded them up again for the next range trip.  I separated the rounds that were slightly over 2.250.  They seemed to load fine again.
View Quote
Years ago I encountered this the first time when I actually handloaded for a semi; my B-i-L's Rem 7400 deer rifle. With bolt guns was so used to just keying on the ogive and not worrying about terrible runout (talking to you Nosler & sometimes Hornady) that I forgot his gun needed me to stick to "here, and no further."  Actually got a good load for him but it was a PITA till I slapped myself upside the head & realized there was something else in nature that needed to be in harmony.
:)
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the update, Italianstallion.... Probably a lot of lurkers here :)

Glad they are working out for you......
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#49]
CDNN send out an email today; 20 round ASC (Aluminum curved) for 10 bucks if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
CDNN send out an email today; 20 round ASC (Aluminum curved) for 10 bucks if anyone is interested.
View Quote
No thanks. I don't buy anything formerly known as Cproducts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top