Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What barrel is that?
View Quote
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-1-7-nitride-upper-w-o-bcg-or-ch-507020.html
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m running low on ammo, what I need is back ordered at SGA so It’ll be a few days before I can resume.  I’m using about 100 rounds per test.

I’m surprised how pathetic the groups have been with the Magtech 77gr and the Wolf gold is not much better.

I’d like to include a Krieger also and I’m trying to resist the temptation to spring for a 20” DCM contour, 7.7-1 twist, stainless ($450). I use a Krieger barrel on my precision 308 and absolutely love it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully you’ll get some better results with the Magtech and ADI in the future. Both of those have produced multiple sub moa groups in a variety of barrels that I’ve used. I just purchased some ADI based on your results. I’m curious how the new lots compare to the lots from a year ago.

Appreciate the effort. I know something like this isn’t always the easiest to do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you do "free floating"(IE only gas tube touching barrel) vs "fixed handguard" (simulated by a weight hanging from them at gas block) strictly for precision(im failrly sure POI would change but group size is more important anyway)? I'e been really curious as to the effect of same barrel free floated and not free floated.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, is there any way that you could include mean radius/avg to center numbers on your group measurements? that is a better gauge of precision than extreme spread, although they both factor in
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, is there any way that you could include mean radius/avg to center numbers on your group measurements? that is a better gauge of precision than extreme spread, although they both factor in
View Quote
I hear this all the time, but what is the standard mean radius for a decent group vs extreme spread? Most precision courses or competitions typically have a 1moa requirement. I’ve never seen a mean radius value.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#8]
How’s this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have loved to see the colt socom, fn socom, bcm socom and Remington  socom 14.5" barrels compete.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hear this all the time, but what is the standard mean radius for a decent group vs extreme spread? Most precision courses or competitions typically have a 1moa requirement. I've never seen a mean radius value.
View Quote
You can have two loads that both have an extreme spread of 1 MOA. Would you rather a perfect 0.5 MOA radius circle, or a 0.3 MOA cluster with an outlier? MR accounts for more than 2 rounds.

ES is really only used because it's easier to just slap a ruler on the 2 while at the range, and MR used to be moderately math intensive, until software came about to do it for us.

ETA: rule of thumb for estimating MR is dividing the ES by 3, but depends on the pattern.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#14]
that's perfect!

The ADI 69gr really is a great round. I shot this 10 round group from a Steyr AUG with the 1.5x optic

ADI_69_2
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]
All things considered, it appears that length matters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
@BlackdogGS

just for shits and giggles, could you shoot the Magtech out of the 20" Colt with the 1/9 twist? it would be really cool to see what the slower twist does for group sizes compared to everything else
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Great thread!  Thanks for taking the time to shoot the groups and post results.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@BlackdogGS

just for shits and giggles, could you shoot the Magtech out of the 20" Colt with the 1/9 twist? it would be really cool to see what the slower twist does for group sizes compared to everything else
View Quote
Depending on conditions it may well stabilize and shoot fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@BlackdogGS

View Quote
I attempted the same with the 77gr but the groups were 4-6” and some were missing the target so I thought it was pointless at that point.  I still wanted to see if they would keyhole so I took it out to 150 then 200 yards.  It still wouldn’t keyhole at those ranges but the groups were huge.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I attempted the same with the 77gr but the groups were 4-6" and some were missing the target so I thought it was pointless at that point.  I still wanted to see if they would keyhole so I took it out to 150 then 200 yards.  It still wouldn't keyhole at those ranges but the groups were huge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@BlackdogGS

I attempted the same with the 77gr but the groups were 4-6" and some were missing the target so I thought it was pointless at that point.  I still wanted to see if they would keyhole so I took it out to 150 then 200 yards.  It still wouldn't keyhole at those ranges but the groups were huge.
Interesting. I've shot 77gr smk out of my 20" AUG with a 1/9 twist, and groups were in the 2-3" range with no signs of keyholing
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting. I've shot 77gr smk out of my 20" AUG with a 1/9 twist, and groups were in the 2-3" range with no signs of keyholing
View Quote
My understanding is that not all 1:9 twist barrels are created equal.  Some could be 9.25:1 twist while others are 8.5:1.

I have a 1:9 twist Remington 783 that shoots the Hornady 75 BTHP really well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All things considered, it appears that length matters.
View Quote
But muh stiffness.

Be interesting to know what lengths and chambers the manufacturers tune to.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top