Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2018 6:54:54 PM EDT
Im hoping to get some info on how you guys add a dry film lubricant to the inside of your uppers and what products you use. Also, if you use dry lube anywhere else.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The only place the bolt carrier contacts the upper is the rails on the carrier.

With that being said the dry film is for break in only.  It does not last long and not really needed with proper wet lube.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I like to spray dry lube on the inside of my buffer tube,, not sure why other than the fact I know the higher end buffer tubes come with a pre dry-lube so it must be good for something, keeps the buffer spring happy.

Otis makes a dry lube you can find on Midway.com
Otis Dry Lubricant 2 oz Aerosol
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't imagine using dry film lube on any firearm.  I do have a spray can of a Birchwood-Casey product called Moly Lube that is perfect for door latches and key locks, esp those exposed to the weather.  Unlike any oils or greases I've tried, only this dry moly stuff keeps car door locks from freezing solid in cold weather. - CW
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry lube is useful on rimfire semiauto bolts when you want to minimize grunge buildup and field stripping is a challenge, e.g. most Ruger Mk model pistols.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow i cant believe i never thought of adding it to my 15-22 bolt that does make good sense.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I always coat all my parts in WS2. It's the most lubricious material on the planet. More effective than oil with a lower coefficient of friction. It sticks to all ferrous metals but doesn't stick to any type of policies metal like stainless unless bead blasted.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top