Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 1:27:58 PM EDT
Curious on how people store their ammo. Or recommendations. M2A2 can with ammo left in the box or loose? Desiccant bag to help keep it dry (humid here in the south) or? Have both .223 and 9mm
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally boxed, if the boxes are conducive to efficient storage.

Loose 5.56 & .300 BLK is put on stripper clips and stacked in the can. 9mm is generally stored in boxes.

Desiccant in all cans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In boxes. Dehumidifier in the storage room.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Curious on how people store their ammo. Or recommendations. M2A2 can with ammo left in the box or loose? Desiccant bag to help keep it dry (humid here in the south) or? Have both .223 and 9mm
View Quote
loose/stacked.

no boxes, they waste room and can cause corrosion.

no desiccant needed

stack round in 50/30 cans if your tite on room

1200 556 or 2200 9mm loose in a 50 can.

If you stack the 556/762 you can get 1400/840
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
In sealed cans, in boxes, with dessicant

If you leave your ammo in boxes, you get the following advantages:

A. You can identify what you have
B. You knowexactly how much you have
C. Its easy to handle.. grab a box instead handfuls
D. Its easy to sell, barter, trade.. its packaged and "new"
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Reloads, loose.  If I buy it in boxes it’s generally stored in those boxes. 30 and 50 cal ammo cans depending on caliber and the volume of ammo I have.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is in wooden cases or tin, that is the way it stays. Reloads are stored on stripper clips inside of .30 -.50 or 40mm ammo cans with desiccant. Factory ammo is stored in the same mentioned ammo cans in the original boxes with desiccant. Over the years I have bought many pallet loads of military ammo cans & have plenty to store ammo, parts & to sell to friends.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
In magazines that are in turn in magazine wells or ammo cans. Sealed factory cases stay as-is and get socked away.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Mr ATF, the only weapon I own is a single shot .22 for home protection.   I keep that in a locked safe in the basement.  I own one round for it (who needs more?), which I keep in a safety deposit box at the bank.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a can of boxes, a can of lose and a can with rounds loaded in magazines for my  5.56. Other calibers are generally boxed in cans sorted by caliber. All cans have desiccant but the humidity in the basement is rarely over 30%
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If I hadn't lost it all in that boating accident i'd have it boxed and loose in cans with desiccant because it's cheaper to play it safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
clipped, boxxed, or loose however it comes just toss it in a can with desiccant.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
For 556, they r on stripper clips.  Rest of the ammo is loose unless they are in the 100 round plastic ammo containers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Why do some of you store a lot of ammo in magazines? It increases the amount of magazines you need to own, and IMO you don't need many full magazines to grab-and-go for zombies in the neighborhood. I use ammo cans that seal well and keep the ammo in whatever box or bandoleer it came in. Basement storage, dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do some of you store a lot of ammo in magazines? It increases the amount of magazines you need to own, and IMO you don't need many full magazines to grab-and-go for zombies in the neighborhood. I use ammo cans that seal well and keep the ammo in whatever box or bandoleer it came in. Basement storage, dehumidifier.
View Quote
It's not just about having enough mags to carry and fight with, but enough to replace said fighting mags as they fail and shit happens to them over time, enough mags to swap out when you don't have time to sit down and load the empties, enough to use as gifts, enough to share with family/friends that can't get them, enough to barter/sell when they're rare or outlawed, etc. Many reasons to own more mags than you need to grab-and-go, across many different lines of thinking ahead. Stockpiling ammo without magazines is like routinely changing your oil filter but never your fuel filter; it's a step in the right direction, but an incomplete thought.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
5.56 on stripper clips in marked ammo cans equipped with vci emitters.

Attachment Attached File

Pistol ammo boxed in ammo cans each with an emitter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ammo cans, boxes, cases.  Never had any go bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's not just about having enough mags to carry and fight with, but enough to replace said fighting mags as they fail and shit happens to them over time, enough mags to swap out when you don't have time to sit down and load the empties, enough to use as gifts, enough to share with family/friends that can't get them, enough to barter/sell when they're rare or outlawed, etc. Many reasons to own more mags than you need to grab-and-go, across many different lines of thinking ahead. Stockpiling ammo without magazines is like routinely changing your oil filter but never your fuel filter; it's a step in the right direction, but an incomplete thought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the purpose for owning a bunch of mags. I have many. I don't understand loading all of them (hundreds) with ammo like I have seen posted on this site at times.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know the purpose for owning a bunch of mags. I have many. I don't understand loading all of them (hundreds) with ammo like I have seen posted on this site at times.
View Quote
An empty magazine can't do anything useful except maybe hold a bolt open. Load them because at least then they CAN do something, even if the chances are remote you'll need to ask them to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
An empty magazine can't do anything useful except maybe hold a bolt open. Load them because at least then they CAN do something, even if the chances are remote you'll need to ask them to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question is why load hundreds as a means of storage?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because it's a good way to store both ammo and mags simultaneously, in a ready-to-go format.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because it's a good way to store both ammo and mags simultaneously, in a ready-to-go format.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5000 rounds would be 167 magazines loaded and stored indefinitely. Perhaps store enough loaded mags to load a vest if ready-to-go is the thing. But for bulk storage, I’m not seeing it for my purposes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

5000 rounds would be 167 magazines loaded and stored indefinitely. Perhaps store enough loaded mags to load a vest if ready-to-go is the thing. But for bulk storage, I’m not seeing it for my purposes.
View Quote
Whatever works for you, but when it comes to ARs ammo without a magazine or a magazine without ammo is next to useless. May as well put in the effort to store both together and not have to make assumptions about the circumstances that will be in place when you need to tap into said stockpile.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#23]
For 223/556 dont store all my ammo in mags but I store all my mags full but a couple range mags. The rest in stripper clips. All in ammo cans.

Other ammo in boxes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I ran out of boxes.  Now I have 4 crates of 4 ammo cans full.  Damn sale on ammo cans made me do it.

I probably never should have started with boxes, but they are convenient to throw in the range bag..
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@Eagle_19er
FWIW... this gizmo works pretty good at easing stripper clip loading...

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1701
View Quote
Ohh, I like that. Great idea!
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most folks don't have unlimited storage space, so being able to store two items which are used together in the same exact space as you would use to store just one of the two is an advantage. I can fit enough mags to hold 1,000 rounds in a 40mm ammo can. If I store them loaded, I only take up the footprint of the ammo can. If I store them empty, I take up the footprint of the ammo can AND the footprint of the box(es) in which I bought/store the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I always thought one of these would be a good way to store ammo... It adds a whole new meaning to two-boxes-per-gun.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top