Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2020 11:26:38 AM EDT
My whole life I have just aways shoved a cleaning rod down the muzzle of the barrel usually with a 3 piece rod hoppes rod with no guide... I just found out that people say this is bad after I did it to my new AR ... How much can this really damage a barrel after one time? How much can this damage a barrel after multiple times? How are you guys cleaning your barrels?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
HERE is where you want to be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I take the Upper off and squirt some Fireclean (or whatever cleaner I choose at the time, I've got a few) down the barrel and on all the parts that can move.
Let it soak for 5-10, while doing the same to the lower.

Then I run a bore brush (cotton) kind down the barrel a few times, might use a bore snake.

Then I use my barrel light (small AA Cell light with a Bendy Plastic rod to Illuminate the Barrel and Chamber) to inspect the barrel.
If clean I move on, inspect the chamber, make sure no carbon build up. If Carbon build up, I use various tools to remove it.
Sometime I completely disassemble to BCG some times just soak it in cleaner and rub it clean with Blue shop towels then lube it.
Sometimes I soak parts of it in my Ultrasonic cleaner, then lube them.

When done, I wipe it all down, add a few more drops of Fire Clean to any moving parts and cycle a few times to make sure.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
There is virtually 0% chance of damaging a barrel with a brass or aluminum cleaning rod in a single use. If the barrel steel is not stronger than those 2 materials you’ve got bigger problems

I prefer a snake just for convenience but used rods for many years before buying one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Blast BCG, FCG, and barrel with brakleen

Put #9 on snake, pull snake.  Put mobil 1 on snake, pull snake.

Drown everything in oil.

Done.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is virtually 0% chance of damaging a barrel with a brass or aluminum cleaning rod in a single use. If the barrel steel is not stronger than those 2 materials you’ve got bigger problems

I prefer a snake just for convenience but used rods for many years before buying one.
View Quote

My rod is aluminum... I used one of those screw-on tips that have the gray "maybe" cotton material on it and worked it in from muzzle to chamber. I think I am going to buy a snake or cable next time and definitely work chamber to muzzle...
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a chamber brush on a T handle...pass or two with a bronze brush from chamber end... brake cleaner spritz... and finish with compressed air for the barrel... disassemble the bolt, clean carbon off rear, carbon off the carrier .... oil rings, cam pin and inside of carrier... outside of carrier and reinstall
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Pull BCG, wipe and clean. Re-lube, re-insert. Bore-snake if I'm feeling crazy.

During a class, long range day, etc? Spray Slip 2000 into the action. Rack several times. Resume Shooting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My rod is aluminum... I used one of those screw-on tips that have the gray "maybe" cotton material on it and worked it in from muzzle to chamber. I think I am going to buy a snake or cable next time and definitely work chamber to muzzle...
View Quote

I’m sure your barrel is fine....think about the forces, pressure and heat that copper bullet puts into the barrel every time you pull the trigger and what it would take to replicate that by hand with an aluminum rod. Don’t stress over it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m sure your barrel is fine....think about the forces, pressure and heat that copper bullet puts into the barrel every time you pull the trigger and what it would take to replicate that by hand with an aluminum rod. Don’t stress over it.
View Quote

Yeah... You're definitely right.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Bore snake is all you need for any ARs and rifles unless you are competing in the F class.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I use baby wipes for most things. I punch the bore the right way with brush and patches. I use a foam paintbrush to apply lube
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The amount of care people give to their barrel while cleaning is directly proportionate to how long the barrel will shoot well.  

I don't care if they wreck a barrel by using junk cleaning rods or by buggering up the crown of their barrel, or wrecking the throat of their barrel...after all it is their barrel to wreck.  I want my rifles to shoot well for a long time, so I tend to be gentle on them, and careful when cleaning them.  

Most of the cleaning I do with AR15's concentrates on getting all the unburned powder, and carbon out of the upper receiver.  The actual bore of the rifle is the last thing I clean, and takes the least time, but I use a one piece cleaning rod, and bore guide to protect the throat, and crown of the barrel.  

I do NOT push the bore brush all the way through the barrel, then drag it back into the barrel over the crown as that can prematurely wear out the bottom of the crown of the barrel.   Like I said, what other folks do with their barrels is their business and doesn't concern me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
With your method you're not really cleaning anything and will damage the crown.  

For the chamber use an M16 chamber brush on a short pistol cleaning rod followed by an M16 chamber brush wrapped in a patch.

For the bore you should be using a boresnake and/or a bore guide in the upper receiver and a Dewey coated cleaning rod inserted from the chamber end with proper-fitting patches and a jag.  Personally I use Remington 40x bore cleaner on a patch wrapped around a brush.  Ideally don't ever drag the brush back over the crown.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Just don't pull it back out without un screening the brush. Go the direction of the bullet basically. Bore snake is a good little thing to have and easy but a plastic cleaning rod works best with patches and sometimes a brass brush to get it super clean.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With your method you're not really cleaning anything and will damage the crown.  

For the chamber use an M16 chamber brush on a short pistol cleaning rod followed by an M16 chamber brush wrapped in a patch.

For the bore you should be using a boresnake and/or a bore guide in the upper receiver and a Dewey coated cleaning rod inserted from the chamber end with proper-fitting patches and a jag.  Personally I use Remington 40x bore cleaner on a patch wrapped around a brush.  Ideally don't ever drag the brush back over the crown.
View Quote

I definitely will not clean like this next time. Cleaning how I did should not damage the crown after only running the rod down a couple of times I hope...
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Bore snake
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The last few years I haven't spent much (or any) time on the barrel until match season is over. Until then, I wipe out and lube the BCG/trigger-group now and then.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI, here is a picture of the crown, looks ok to me. There looks like there is something there at 4:30, not sure what that is, or if the gun came like that, the barrel is brand new... Thats why I hope I did not f*ck it up. This is also no match grade or precision barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
...boil it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, I use a 3 piece USGI cleaning rod kit because it works and works well.  You will not damage your rifle properly using it or it would not have been issued to countless USGI's like me through out history.  I also use Froglube cleaning products (solvent, CLP paste and the extreme liquid CLP) because it works too.  There are many different flavors of CLP's and solvents so experiment with some of them and formulate your own conclusion.  I have no connection to the aforementioned companies I merely use some of their kit.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#22]
If you read accurate shooter, watch video of Jerry McLerick cleaning and research. It is a rabbit hole. I use a quality brush in the direction of round traveling. Then, a few parches in same manner. Some of the best bench shooter in the world go in both directions
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bore snake is all you need for any ARs and rifles unless you are competing in the F class.
View Quote

Usually this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Hose down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, spray wear areas with ballistoil, wipe down inside/out with towel, maybe throw a few patches down the bore, then spot lube with Lucas gun oil.

I haven’t detail cleaned a gun in years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a coated rod or normally an Otis cable set up.  Your fine. Don’t over clean . Honestly every 500 rounds clean it. But lightly lube in between.  Stiff tooth brush is your friend.  Enjoy. WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Otis  cleaning kits are probably the best you can get.
The cables won't harm the barrel or crown, I just run patches with the Otis kit.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:03:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Blast BCG, FCG, and barrel with brakleen

Put #9 on snake, pull snake.  Put mobil 1 on snake, pull snake.

Drown everything in oil.

Done.
View Quote

Pretty much
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FYI, here is a picture of the crown, looks ok to me. There looks like there is something there at 4:30, not sure what that is, or if the gun came like that, the barrel is brand new... Thats why I hope I did not f*ck it up. This is also no match grade or precision barrel.
https://i.imgur.com/Bwkbwca.jpg
View Quote

It's fine.
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, Your barrel is fine. Don't sweat it.....
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Always pull the cleaning rod from the chamber out the muzzle, never push it through.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Pull BCG, firing pin, and extractor apart. Wipe down with Hoppe’s no.9. Wipe top of hammer, wipe charging handle. Boresnake, lube, and reassemble. Done.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Field strip spray the fuck out the bolt and carrier with hoppes 9.
Chamber and upper also gets sprayed.
I let it sit while I wipe down the lower
Start in on the carrier and brush it down
Go to the bolt and small parts and do the same
Upper gets a chamber brush
Wiped down the upper
Run a bore snake down it about 5 times and use q-tips to get as much gunk and hoppes out as I can.
Live everything up, put back together and do a function test.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Brake cleaner down the barrel, into the upper and BCG. Two bore snake passes. Wipe down BCG. Light smudge of synthetic grease on both sides of BCG together with 4 drops of Mobil 1 5/30. Back together it goes.

Every 1k rounds, BCG comes out and gets stripped.

Bore gets Hoppes 9 after every 2k rounds.

Zero malfunctions. Not one since I built it two years ago. Son's 20" bull barrel hog gun gets my 2k regimen every 100 rounds. That's the Army in him.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top