User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 37
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By waffles:
Dunno if this is the right place for it, but snagged a sweet police trade in dumb as hell ban era AR

https://i.imgur.com/AaeOMCX.jpg
View Quote
You get a bunch of thumbs up for configuration.  SUPER COOL!!!!!  But you get some minuses for HBAR.  rifle length HBARs.... blaaaaaaaaa.  

Bayo lug.....  pffffft.  What the heck would you use one for on that?

So yeah, what are you meaning dumb as hell?  The barrel profile?   I bet it shoots really good though.

Uh oh, top of page........

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Holy crap good shooting!!!!  Great pics and post and rifle.  

Are you using a 25 meter zero or you hadn't zero'd more accurately it yet?   8" seems a little high for  a 25 meter zero.  Especially with a rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:

My 1985 M16A2 clone...Colt upper/parts...80% lower with the serial # of one of the rifles I qual'd with (Expert) on the KD range...I still have the score book to go with it...

https://i.imgur.com/F9u9KiH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xPyTON0.jpg

Shoots good too!
https://i.imgur.com/7ywidpW.jpg
Holy crap good shooting!!!!  Great pics and post and rifle.  

Are you using a 25 meter zero or you hadn't zero'd more accurately it yet?   8" seems a little high for  a 25 meter zero.  Especially with a rifle.
Tell you the truth I don't remember...I may have just lasered it close in the past and then shot it @100 the other day...rear was set on 8/3.

I DO know anything prior to this was with bulk 55grn FMJ as I was just playing around with it.  So there is likely some difference between the 55s and my 69SMK match loads.  I may end up taking this to the CMP Games and using it in Modern Military ...which for all purposes is an "AR15" match....sad...
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]

My 1985 M16A2 clone...Colt upper/parts...80% lower with the serial # of one of the rifles I qual'd with (Expert) on the KD range...I still have the score book to go with it...

https://i.imgur.com/F9u9KiH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xPyTON0.jpg

Shoots good too!
https://i.imgur.com/7ywidpW.jpg
View Quote
Shit hot
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeremy2171] [#4]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Shit hot
View Quote
moochos grassy ass!
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
moochos grassy ass!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Shit hot
moochos grassy ass!
Absolutely beautiful rifle. Very well done sir.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]

You get a bunch of thumbs up for configuration.  SUPER COOL!!!!!  But you get some minuses for HBAR.  rifle length HBARs.... blaaaaaaaaa.  

Bayo lug.....  pffffft.  What the heck would you use one for on that?

So yeah, what are you meaning dumb as hell?  The barrel profile?   I bet it shoots really good though.

Uh oh, top of page........
View Quote
My real beef is the barrel profile, and I've heard of issues running rifle length on a 16 but I haven't gotten it out to the range yet to try it out so I'll reserve judgement.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#7]
Yeah, I think ADCO recommends opening the port up a little.  But I don't know the spec.  It might be totally fine  the way it is though.  I would just bring some wolf or tula and see.....  Or if you have a can....
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a DelTon heavy barrel for my A2 dissy and turned it down to .625 under the handguard. The stock gas port was around .094 and wouldnt cycle steel cased ammo. I opened it up to .11 and it eats anything but still runs soft.

I thought I was done with builds for a while...and then an assembled C7 and a Colt A2 fell into my lap for unbelievably cheap. Oh the possibilities. ...
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By blue109:
I used a DelTon heavy barrel for my A2 dissy and turned it down to .625 under the handguard. The stock gas port was around .094 and wouldnt cycle steel cased ammo. I opened it up to .11 and it eats anything but still runs soft.
https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-12215-0-42388200-1399847566.jpg

I thought I was done with builds for a while...and then an assembled C7 and a Colt A2 fell into my lap for unbelievably cheap. Oh the possibilities. ...
https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2018_01/PicsArt_01-13-05_10_18.jpg.02e930e33181a01ec02011df3b88cdf1.jpg
View Quote
Neat. I'm hoping that as it's an issued gun somebody worked out the kinks before tossing it in the trunk of their guys' cruisers, but I'll figure that out for myself soon enough.

On this topic, I've been seeing a bunch more of these type of rifles pop up. Here's one on the EE:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Bushmaster-XM15-E2S-dissipator-Restricted-marked-Made-in-Windham-ME/21-1715864/

And I've seen several others on GB pop up. I don't remember 16" with rifle gas (or the mock version with carbine or mid gas under the handguards) being a big thing outside of hobbyists like myself, is this just odd timing/me noticing it more or was there ever serious LE love of 16" rifle gassed HBARs?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh no you didn't.  You gonna actually leave it that way and not use it on a Block II clone?

It is very cool.
View Quote
Oh yes I did!

It’s got a more correct upper now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gordog] [#11]
Originally Posted By gordog:
I,m sure you guys could pic this one apart, because of its inaccuracies. Built mostly with spare parts. But,,,,"fire for effect", maybe i,ll start doing changes. Sorry for the crappy pics.https://i.imgur.com/VB8WQn2.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/2GUQ4bI.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/aGLfhH9.jpg?1
View Quote
Hey fellows: I posted this in the retro forums; and was told that no M16A2s "AUTO" were ever built,,,only "BURST". I got the stencil from dogfightinc (Phil is very knowledgeable). Did we make a huge blunder? I have searched the internet, and found plenty of COLT M16A2s in AUTO (but they were all maybe law enforcement?) Cant find any "PROPERTY OF US GOVT" ones. Cant locate any FNs to prove or disprove. HELP!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#12]
Wasn't that what a navy A3 was?   A Full Auto A2........

If that is not the case, and you have to have it clone correct, Augee says a 727 was FA.....  You could swap a stock and barrel.  But then I think the lower was marked M16A2 Carbine......
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't that what a navy A3 was?   A Full Auto A2........

If that is not the case, and you have to have it clone correct, Augee says a 727 was FA.....  You could swap a stock and barrel.  But then I think the lower was marked M16A2 Carbine......
View Quote
Yes JJREA, you are correct. But, the "BURST" was "lined" Through and "AUTO" added, from what i remember. LOL, Ive already got a 727 (ive seen them with old A1 lowers, thats what ive done)
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By gordog:  Hey fellows: I posted this in the retro forums; and was told that no M16A2s "AUTO" were ever built,,,only "BURST". I got the stencil from dogfightinc (Phil is very knowledgeable). Did we make a huge blunder? I have searched the internet, and found plenty of COLT M16A2s in AUTO (but they were all maybe law enforcement?) Cant find any "PROPERTY OF US GOVT" ones. Cant locate any FNs to prove or disprove. HELP!!!!!
View Quote
The Navy contract M16A3s were full auto, and both carry handle and flattop uppers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 1:59:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#15]
Originally Posted By gordog:

Hey fellows: I posted this in the retro forums; and was told that no M16A2s "AUTO" were ever built,,,only "BURST". I got the stencil from dogfightinc (Phil is very knowledgeable). Did we make a huge blunder? I have searched the internet, and found plenty of COLT M16A2s in AUTO (but they were all maybe law enforcement?) Cant find any "PROPERTY OF US GOVT" ones. Cant locate any FNs to prove or disprove. HELP!!!!!
View Quote
As far as I know (think your referencing my reply and I was only thinking DOD) DOD never had M16A2 Rifle with Auto.  The M16A3 has AUTO.  However Colt did sale to LE and foreign sales M16A2s with AUTO.  I remember in 88' the Jordanians had them were we had our new M16A2s with BURST.   Arms room at Special Warfare Training Group did have some "M16A2 Carbine" marked guns with AUTO (don't remember if they had the "Property of US Govt").   Course there were also Romanian AKs with the Plant of the Apes thumbhole stocks semi autos!  Those guns would go to guerilla fighters during Robin Sage.

However if you know you had a FN M16A2 marked AUTO than you are the proof we're missing.  Only FN M16A2s I've ever seen issued were to Kuwaitis during and after the First Gulf War.  Groups guns were always Colt for some reason (M16A2/M4A1s)

CD
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#16]
For no good reason, an old pic.....

Link Posted: 1/17/2018 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#17]
For no good reason, an old pic.....

https://i.imgur.com/6JeolWn.jpg
View Quote
Nice bruh
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
My contribution. To keep this as a Colt I used an M4 carbine lower that Brownells was selling for $199 a month back. Upper is, I believe a Colt. Barrel is a surplused FN take off barrel. The M203 is a Colt with a 37mm barrel until the Form 1 comes back and some 40mm swag from my other registered M203. I wished the receiver anodizing on the whole thing was the dark grey and not black what it is what it is. This is exactly as the one I was issued 30 years ago. We didn't have the fancy top sling adaptors or M60 slings, just the silent sling.

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got the AR out to the perpetually even more trashed forest spot. The tree the AR is rested against has no backstop behind it, to say nothing of the overwhelming shittiness of shooting up a fucking tree in the national forest. These spots are 100% going to get shut down. With that anger out of the way, the rifle functioned flawlessly. I ran dirt cheap Tula and bottom of my random bullet bucket steel case garbage ammo in addition to a few mags of good stuff. This was a solid purchase.

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
That is really good news.  I totally dig it.  LOTS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

As far as I know (think your referencing my reply and I was only thinking DOD) DOD never had M16A2 Rifle with Auto.
View Quote
Navy here, I did have a M16A2 with the auto fire control issued, but its nomenclature was the M16A2E3 when I was in a Gulfport Battalion years ago. Don't know if that counts.

Navy always has Safe, Fire, Auto fire control in the M16/M4 regardless of the brand from my experience.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:09:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#22]
Originally Posted By machinegunseabee:

Navy here, I did have a M16A2 with the auto fire control issued, but its nomenclature was the M16A2E3 when I was in a Gulfport Battalion years ago. Don't know if that counts.

Navy always has Safe, Fire, Auto fire control in the M16/M4 regardless of the brand from my experience.
View Quote
@gordog one of your brothers is vouching for you!  machinegunseabee do you remember if it was a FN?  Was the receiver marked M16A2 and have AUTO without the BURST struck out?  Any armorer can easily swap the fire control groups but is supposed remark the receiver with either AUTO/BURST.  The E3 marking is making that A2 and experimental model.  Once type classified and approved for variation then it would become the M16A3.  Thinks of the XM16E1s before becoming M16A1s.

CD
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:12:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: machinegunseabee] [#23]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

@gordog one of your brothers is vouching for you!  machinegunseabee do you remember if it was a FN?  Was the receiver marked M16A2 and have AUTO without the BURST struck out?  Any armorer can easily swap the fire control groups but is supposed remark the receiver with either AUTO/BURST.  The E3 marking is making that A2 and experimental model.  Once type classified and approved for variation then it would become the M16A3.  Thinks of the XM16E1s before becoming M16A1s.

CD
View Quote
Colt, and I definitely remember it being roll marked M16A2E3. Fixed carry handle A2 rifle, even issued with the Green marksmanship sling. Mark was from the factory SAFE, SEMI, AUTO no strike out or grinding and filling. This was way before rail systems and I remember taping a flashlight to my hand guards, taping my info  and using 550 for the rear sling point so it was easier to carry.

Now when I went back they had gotten brand new FN A3's 20" rifles with auto fire control, so new I don't think anyone had shot the one I was issued except the factory.

All the M4's I have seen and used were Colt lowers.

The Navy still has lower receivers marked AR-15 XM16E1 in service that have been converted to A3 via Crane. I last saw one in 2013.

ETA Pics of XM16E1

Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]
First AR to be shot in 2018 for me.

Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By machinegunseabee:

Colt, and I definitely remember it being roll marked M16A2E3. Fixed carry handle A2 rifle, even issued with the Green marksmanship sling. Mark was from the factory SAFE, SEMI, AUTO no strike out or grinding and filling. This was way before rail systems and I remember taping a flashlight to my hand guards, taping my info  and using 550 for the rear sling point so it was easier to carry.

Now when I went back they had gotten brand new FN A3's 20" rifles with auto fire control, so new I don't think anyone had shot the one I was issued except the factory.

All the M4's I have seen and used were Colt lowers.

The Navy still has lower receivers marked AR-15 XM16E1 in service that have been converted to A3 via Crane. I last saw one in 2013.

ETA Pics of XM16E1

http://u.cubeupload.com/machinegunseabee/IMG0678.jpg

http://u.cubeupload.com/machinegunseabee/IMG0679.jpg
View Quote
The only real MK18 Mod0 I ever held had one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll play

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Stunning pictures!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Stunning pictures!!!
View Quote
Why thank you.  Makes you wanna go shoot, eh?  Makes me wanna go shoot.  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By blue109:
https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-12215-0-42388200-1399847566.jpg

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2018_01/PicsArt_01-13-05_10_18.jpg.02e930e33181a01ec02011df3b88cdf1.jpg
View Quote
I like that. It's very modern retro/SPR-ish.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jrpett:
My contribution. To keep this as a Colt I used an M4 carbine lower that Brownells was selling for $199 a month back. Upper is, I believe a Colt. Barrel is a surplused FN take off barrel. The M203 is a Colt with a 37mm barrel until the Form 1 comes back and some 40mm swag from my other registered M203. I wished the receiver anodizing on the whole thing was the dark grey and not black what it is what it is. This is exactly as the one I was issued 30 years ago. We didn't have the fancy top sling adaptors or M60 slings, just the silent sling.

http://i67.tinypic.com/9is3lu.jpg
View Quote
I'm not sure why I glossed over this one and didn't say anything before.  But NICE RIFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Why thank you.  Makes you wanna go shoot, eh?  Makes me wanna go shoot.  LOL.
View Quote
It did - going tomorrow, bringing my A2 along - will take pictures (have two northern European friends-colleagues and I am taking them shooting; will post a couple of shots)
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#33]
It did - going tomorrow, bringing my A2 along - will take pictures (have two northern European friends-colleagues and I am taking them shooting; will post a couple of shots)
View Quote
Muwaahahhahahaha

Have fun, be safe and shoot straight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Muwaahahhahahaha

Have fun, be safe and shoot straight.
View Quote
Here's one of my Dutch buddies (coworker, Engineer) shooing my A2.

I definitely converted him to pro 2A. Happy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Since discovering this thread several weeks ago, I've been shooting the hell out of my A2 clone. Now I've got to figure out why I have to crank the elevation up to 400 to get good groups at 200.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Front post is too far out and need to be screwed in?  Did you zero at 50 yards to get close?

Solo, great pic!  Always good to convert someone!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#37]

My son shooting my Colt M16A2.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ssgtcarroll:
https://preview.ibb.co/gdEBJx/B3_BC6116_AF63_4800_9008_BA05_DEDAFB66.jpg

My son shooting my Colt M16A2.
View Quote
I look at other people's A2 and tell myself, Jeez what a cool rifle it is.
Never get tired of it.

Colt A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#39]
"Straight Pull" AR15 - Winter Test
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't stop, won't stop. Somebody posted this little beaut for $400 fees included on a local board and I grabbed it. I can never quite figure out if the C7 upper gets lumped in with A1s or the general A2 era features are worth getting it lumped in here.

Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#41]
NICE.  It's at home here for sure.

You know what's weird.  I wonder if that wasn't an arfcom member's gun.  I remember specifically seeing someones gun on here with the very top of the FSB not painted like that.  I'm guessing to keep the sight picture black.......  IDK.  But I know for sure I saw someone on this site with paint like that at some point.  Long time ago.

400 was STEAL!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Would not surprise me at all. I'm looking forward to shooting it, and thankfully the camo looks substantially better in person. I did lose it on my couch for a sec though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Hell yeah.  Looks great.  400 is a deal.  I like the paint.  Looks like a cut 16in barrel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#44]
Looks like they modified an A2 grip too, to something.... interesting.  Yeah, we need a range report and pics of internals.  I'm curious what you all got for 400 bills.  LOL.  Does the barrel still have markings on it?  Or are they gone from being chopped?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:54:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#45]
Can't believe I can't find in stock anywhere, nor used, an A2 upper 20 incher in black (not gray, have one Colt already).

ETA: so what I did was to bring my A4 to virgin status. In lack of a black A2, an A3-A4-ish looking will do, for now.

An M16 for every season
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like they modified an A2 grip too, to something.... interesting.  Yeah, we need a range report and pics of internals.  I'm curious what you all got for 400 bills.  LOL.  Does the barrel still have markings on it?  Or are they gone from being chopped?
View Quote
No markings I noticed, a chopped barrel sounds about right. I had it out today and it ran beautifully. The previous owner had a very different zero than mine, but after adjusting it (I really should order one of those tools, I hate using the bullet tip) it was great. I didn't shoot it for groups as it doesn't matter a ton to me with these types of rifles, but it was sure plate ringing consistent with I'm pretty happy with.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Can't believe I can't find in stock anywhere, nor used, an A2 upper 20 incher in black (not gray, have one Colt already).

ETA: so what I did was to bring my A4 to virgin status. In lack of a black A2, an A3-A4-ish looking will do, for now.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4745/26336929248_f1a1a6327b_h.jpg
An M16 for every season
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
I'll just repeat.  SO GOOD!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By waffles:

No markings I noticed, a chopped barrel sounds about right. I had it out today and it ran beautifully. The previous owner had a very different zero than mine, but after adjusting it (I really should order one of those tools, I hate using the bullet tip) it was great. I didn't shoot it for groups as it doesn't matter a ton to me with these types of rifles, but it was sure plate ringing consistent with I'm pretty happy with.

https://i.imgur.com/EBcyHTc.jpg
View Quote
I like how you have a lot of cool guns and you're out there shooting a beater AR.  But that one is special.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 37
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top