Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 7:53:58 PM EDT
I currently have an SBR - 11.5" faxon, geissele Mk4 with a TR24G.

I've been thinking about either a dedicated HD upper for this lower - or a pistol with a brace. Wanting to do an inexpensive 10.5 with RDS on top for just housework only.

I can't really decide if I want to use my SBR lower or build a pistol. This thing would stay in the bedroom (safe is 3 levels down in the basement). I feel like the SBR needs to stay in the safe when I am not home, and a pistol would be less serious if someone breaks in and steals it from the bedroom. Also using an NFA weapon - maybe bad for self defense of the home? Not sure.

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have to use it to wake the ghost inside someone expect not to see the firearm for sometime.  Investigation, examination, evidence in a trial of you or the asshole if he lives, etc etc.... rather not have a NFA item sit in an evidence locker for a year or two and possibly get “lost”.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have to use it to wake the ghost inside someone expect not to see the firearm for sometime.  Investigation, examination, evidence in a trial of you or the asshole if he lives, etc etc.... rather not have a NFA item sit in an evidence locker for a year or two and possibly get “lost”.
View Quote
This was my thought. It's not like I dont have a handful of LPK's and lowers lying around either. It just seems silly to buy a brace when you have an SBR.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the weapon that you are most experienced and practiced with. If it's a registered SBR, so be it. This is your family you're protecting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go NFA before a pistol build.  With NFA you've jumped through way more hoops than a standard purchase and you could argue that the ATF signed off on your possession.  With a pistol build I still worry about the brace / illegal SBR thing.  Do we know of a pistol brace case that's been tested in court?

You could always just get a standard 16" carbine that way if it gets taken no big loss.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd go NFA before a pistol build.  With NFA you've jumped through way more hoops than a standard purchase and you could argue that the ATF signed off on your possession.  With a pistol build I still worry about the brace / illegal SBR thing.  Do we know of a pistol brace case that's been tested in court?

You could always just get a standard 16" carbine that way if it gets taken no big loss.
View Quote
14.5 pinned.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

14.5 pinned.....
View Quote
IDK - thinking more on it, I'd probably want to use the can in the house... I'd hate to fire this thing without the can on it inside.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've been thinking about either a dedicated HD upper for this lower - or a pistol with a brace. Wanting to do an inexpensive 10.5 with RDS on top for just housework only.

I can't really decide if I want to use my SBR lower or build a pistol. This thing would stay in the bedroom (safe is 3 levels down in the basement). I feel like the SBR needs to stay in the safe when I am not home, and a pistol would be less serious if someone breaks in and steals it from the bedroom. Also using an NFA weapon - maybe bad for self defense of the home? Not sure.

What do you all think?
View Quote
Sbr with a can and a white light. I have a gun with a white light in every room of my house. But if I am in bed I am grabbing the mk18 with a can and going to town.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sbr with a can and a white light. I have a gun with a white light in every room of my house. But if I am in bed I am grabbing the mk18 with a can and going to town.
View Quote
For sure my can and a light.. I'd pick my sbr before a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What do you all think?
View Quote
There are ways to conceal pistols in plain sight, well, sorta. Moving mirrors, shelves that open,
pictures that open to name a few.

But, I would keep NFA items in the safe and use a non-NFA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If you only had 1 SBR lower and it still took 10+ months to get a stamp, then there's pretty good reasons to use a pistol lower.  Don't want your only SBR lower setting in evidence and getting "misplaced".  But these days a poverty pony is $30, an SBR stamp only costs $100 more than most pistol braces, and form 1 stamps are coming back in 3 weeks.  Its hard to find a reason to not have 20 SBR'd lowers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Best advice I have (and I love ARs, have way too many) Get a nice S&W .357 revolver. It's fool proof under pressure, just point and squeeze. No worrying about clambering, safeties...... Point and squeeze. I have and old police model 66-2 on my nightstand. Nobody can argue it's too much gun for self defiance when law enforcement saw a need upgraded from it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t understand a lot of the logic here. For HD pick the very best tool for the job. In the 0.0001% chance you have to use it and god forbid kill someone, having a gun with a 200 dollar stamp in an evidence locker is the least of your worries. These days with sbrs so easy to form 1, the only difference between an sbr and a rifle is the cost of the stamp.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
^ Yup.

I see no debate here. Who cares how much money the gun costs or if you ever see it again, hopefully it functioned as it should and you did everything that needed to be done. If you really don't want to lose your lower, have a spare pistol lower around to hand over.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
How realistic is that a registered lower "get's lost or misplaced in an evidence safe"?

That seems pretty far fetched to me for a registered weapon that I assume, being registered and all, would need to have a documented transfer from the suspect to the police during the investigation. Seems like if I was a defense lawyer, I would prefer my client to use a SBR/Registered lower in a case of self defense, vs a pistol which has murky legality with braces, to further highlight that you are a law abiding citizen and have passed multiple background checks to possess that firearm. It helps builds the story that you are an individual of good moral character.

But i'm not a lawyer so who knows. I prefer SBR lowers over braces.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe in using the highest quality tool I have to go the job, in this case it's to protect me and my family. Are our lives anything less? Material things no matter how expensive is always replaceable. I share the sentiments as some of other posters in here.

That said, my HD rifle is a KAC SR-15 which I SBR'd.  If I were you I would use the weapon I shoot the best and will function 100%.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I want my favorite stock, and a can for that scenario.  No debate for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agree.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don’t understand a lot of the logic here. For HD pick the very best tool for the job. In the 0.0001% chance you have to use it and god forbid kill someone, having a gun with a 200 dollar stamp in an evidence locker is the least of your worries. These days with sbrs so easy to form 1, the only difference between an sbr and a rifle is the cost of the stamp.
View Quote
Came here to say these exact words!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#20]
There is nothing wrong with an AR pistol.
There is nothing wrong with a SBR AR.
There is something wrong with you.
'They' live in your head rent free.
Fix that.
Then read the quote below.
Quoted:
Use the weapon that you are most experienced and practiced with. If it's a registered SBR, so be it. This is your family you're protecting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Best advice I have (and I love ARs, have way too many) Get a nice S&W .357 revolver. It's fool proof under pressure, just point and squeeze. No worrying about clambering, safeties...... Point and squeeze. I have and old police model 66-2 on my nightstand. Nobody can argue it's too much gun for self defiance when law enforcement saw a need upgraded from it.
View Quote
Man it’s like you just wandered out of the gun shop or something.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think SBR vs Pistol matters, but I do think caliber matters. For a HD gun you ideally want something that can suppresses well to avoid hearing pro...which means subsonic. 5.56 subsonic is not very effective, your best options are either 300 blk or a pistol round like 9mm/40 SW/45 acp. Personally, I went 300 blk because it's simpler and cheaper and is a more versatile round.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I want to tool I'm best with. That for me would be the SBR
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#24]
This is a life or death issue. Shoot what you shoot the best and be damned with the rest. Your family depends on you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Either one for me.

I shoot just as fast and accurately with my SBA 3 as I do my B5's(Stationary or on-the move). I've got 4 SBR lowers and a couple SBA3's. Currently my 8" 300 BLK is in the HD role and it's got an SBA3 on it.. it's not something I dwell on, the legality of the brace or possibly loosing a $200 stamped lower will be low on my concerns if the need arises.

A setup your comfortable with, good optic, and a white light and it won't matter either way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
SBR
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ll gladly lose a $200 “stamp” if it saves my life or my wives.

I gots more sbr’s
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I use a suppressed SBR. I've got several and I'm not worried about it disappearing for a year, I'll just pull out another.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Man it's like you just wandered out of the gun shop or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man it's like you just wandered out of the gun shop or something.
My advice comes from the experience of actually killing an invader in my home at night and the all legal complications that involves. What's yours, just your wet dreams?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ll gladly lose a $200 “stamp” if it saves my life or my wives.

I gots more sbr’s
View Quote
Yes, you'll always get a chance to buy more SBRs later on. Maybe even get a pistol lower until your stamp comes in. I'd trade that over any worries about "losing" money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top