Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 2:28:10 AM EDT
Hey everyone first post on here and potentially this could be my first build ever (no time like the present)

I've been thinking lately about adding another firearm to the collection. This one for Home Defense. This would not be my first Black rifle. A few years ago I bought the Springfield Saint with vortex strike eagle 1-6 and still like it.
I'm looking for some added direction after going to one the local gun stores in town I had a lot of questions answer, but at the same time I now have so many options and routes I can go down. Literally felt like a kid in a candy store.
I looked at several AR Pistols from Troy Industries, Windham, Radical, and Daniel Defense $$$ (obviously that one was out of budget)

I do like the idea of building a AR or buying a complete AR and adding to it

Flashlight
Ambi safety
Ambi Charging handle (not a necessity)
Drop-in trigger (CMC or something comparable)
Magpul backup sights (if that don't come already with the rifle)
Folding Stock/ or brace (pistol)

Budget is under $1500.. Glass not included
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
In a normal market you could buy a fine factory rifle for that budget. Right now, that would be a taller task.

Imo the biggest thing to keep in mind is that a defensive weapon first and foremost has to work. In a literal sense, it can't fail you. The good news is that ARs are easy to build and build right, there's no hand fitting and all you really need are punches, a vice, a torque wrench, and basic hand tools. A factory gun takes that out of your hands, but I can't tell you whether you view that as a positive or negative.

If you scour the EE I'd imagine you could find pistols and rifles that are GTG for your budget. If you go the build route, as many of us do, don't skimp on quality. That doesn't mean you need a matched Noveske receiver set, but tolerance stacking can be an issue even when the individual components are made by reputable mfgs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I would personally build. Then you can choose specific parts that fit your needs. Aero lowers can be had almost daily now and bcm complete uppers are in stock every other week or so. Then you can pick your lower parts and the furniture of your choice. If I was on a budget, I'd go that route.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would personally build. Then you can choose specific parts that fit your needs. Aero lowers can be had almost daily now and bcm complete uppers are in stock every other week or so. Then you can pick your lower parts and the furniture of your choice. If I was on a budget, I'd go that route.
View Quote

Well I’ll be damned... a ‘21 account from CA.  And he hits the nail on the head.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Build.  Always build.  You can shop the sales and get exactly what you want
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll throw this out... if you don't go with a front sight tower that is pinned to the barrel... you might consider roll pinning the low profile gas block after you make sure that the rifle works...

I'd consider a light weight barrel... ambi safety as you commented... a Garand style hook/release trigger rather than a drop in...depending on the area you plan on protecting a low powered variable optic, or a prism sight with the reticle etched on the prism in case the battery is dead... 3 point sling... if you think you need back up sights, a set of 45degree offsets are instantly available, though they take up room in the gun safe
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always rolled my own for a number of reasons...

1. I know exactly what parts are in my weapon
2. I enjoy doing it
3. I find building my own was a good way to really learn the system and how it works
4. Being on a tight budget, building you own makes it easy to buy parts as money allows rather then having to come up with $1500+/- in one lump sum
5. I was able to build exactly what I wanted instead of buying something off the self and then replacing 10-50% of the parts.

The catch is, I spent many hours learning what makes 1 part better then another and what parts really matter and which ones are less critical. Then I spent more time learning how to build one properly. Then you also have to invest in the proper tools which isn't all that cost effective for 1 build.

In the past building your own was also a cheaper way to get a quality rifle. For instance, a number of my builds are basically DD rifles with Mega receivers. Every bit as good as a factory built DD rifle but at a lot smaller price tag. These days however, I'm not sure that is still true? The parts supply is limited these days and some quality parts (like BCG's) are going for retarded prices currently (when you can find them).

I think it comes down to how much time and patience do you have and how quickly are you wanting the final product? If you want something NOW and don't want to spend hours educating yourself and hunting down parts then buy a quality off the shelf rifle now, even if it means going over your budget a little. If however money is tight and you are willing to put in the time and effort then building your own may still be a viable option?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll throw this out... if you don't go with a front sight tower that is pinned to the barrel... you might consider roll pinning the low profile gas block after you make sure that the rifle works...
View Quote
you don't want to use a "roll pin" for this, you use a solid taper pin but I do agree, for 100% long term reliability, a pinned on GB is the only way to go.

Pro tip... if you want a low profile gas block and want it pinned on, find a good barrel with a fixed FSB then go ahead and cut it down into a lo pro style. basically what Colt did with their OEM2 uppers. Its not hard to do and can look like it was made that way of you take you time and put some effort into it. Saves you the cost of a gas block and with 2 factory pins, it ain't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Build the lower how you want.  Throw on a decent complete upper if you are concerned about putting together the upper on your first build.  I think the lower is pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Build the lower how you want.  Throw on a decent complete upper if you are concerned about putting together the upper on your first build.  I think the lower is pretty straight forward.
View Quote
This was going to be my response.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer to build.  In fact I no longer have any factory rifles.  Get a good set of aero receivers and match them with a quality barrel of your choice (BCM, Ballistic Advantage etc). Then add a good MPI BCG. I am also a fan of the larue MBT trigger for a good all around trigger.  Finish it with a quality hand guard and whatever furniture you like.  Milspec parts kit is fine. I do use am I safety since I am a lefty. I also use quality Ambi charging handles from several manufacturers.  Finally.  Do not skimp out on mags, just buy 10-20 pmags and get quality optics from vortex or similar. No need to spend a ton on the first set of optics until you decide what type of optic you like.  

I would also recommend shooting others guns with different set ups to see what you like.  And for goodness sake take a decent class, it is worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done it both ways, and I prefer factory rifles from reputable brands, particularly for the upper. When 1 manufacturer controls all the variables, like gas port sizing, gas system length, buffer weights, springs, etc. they make a very nicely tuned rifle. When you buy a mishmash of parts, as long as things are build "to spec" they will work, but the smoothest shooting rifles are seldom parts guns.

If you really want to build, do as others suggest and build the lower and buy a complete upper.

But, given the things you listed (like safety and charging handle) those are super simple to replace on a factory gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd consider a light weight barrel... ambi safety as you commented... a Garand style hook/release trigger rather than a drop in...depending on the area you plan on protecting a low powered variable optic, or a prism sight with the reticle etched on the prism in case the battery is dead... 3 point sling... if you think you need back up sights, a set of 45degree offsets are instantly available, though they take up room in the gun safe
View Quote

Wait a three point sling? Is that a joke?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well I’ll be damned... a ‘21 account from CA.  And he hits the nail on the head.

View Quote

Why does join date and location have anything to do with knowledge base or experience?   Maybe he's a military armorer, gunsmith, or someone with decades of experience in building or maintaining ARs and just happened to join.  The content suggests a good bit of AR specific knowledge about vendor resources for component parts.  In contrast, there are plenty of members here that have old join dates and have highly questionable knowledge.  Just go to the GD thread and cringe until you can't stand the misinformation any longer.  And, quite a few "new" members come to us with pretty formidable, highly skilled backgrounds.  

As to the advice to build, I agree, but only if OP wishes to invest in the basic tools needed and is competent with the basic hand tool skills needed.  Things like armorer's wrench or equivalent individual tools, clamshell receiver vise block or equivalent, preferably a good bench vise, barrel block or equivalent, torque wrench, roll pin punches, regular punches, taper pin reamers, other basic hand tools.

If OP has those tools or wants to invest in them, since he is already an AR owner, it is a great hobby to build and, indeed, a great way to customize a rifle, carbine or pistol to meet one's own needs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ll provide a counter argument. With $1500 budget, OP can buy a Colt 6920 with a basic red dot and light Solid choice for home defense gun that will go bang reliably.

OP admits will be first build… I would assume would need to invest in tools. Price and availability for parts right now is all over the place. OPs skill level is unknown… building an AR is not rocket surgery, but there can be a learning curve. This puts a whole bunch of variables into a gun that needs to go bang reliably.

I would buy for now and build later when market conditions (hopefully) improve.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
OP one thing to consider if it will be used for home or self defense dont get carried away with the trigger. Because if you ever have to use the firearm for the purpose it is intended for its best to have a standard weight trigger, so some lame attorney doesn't try to make you out to be someone out to kill anyone and everyone because you have a light trigger pull on your gun (I.e. a hair trigger).

Also, if you build your own, you need to factor in the cost of the tools unless you have a friend that has them that you can barrow.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why does join date and location have anything to do with knowledge base or experience?   Maybe he's a military armorer, gunsmith, or someone with decades of experience in building or maintaining ARs and just happened to join.  The content suggests a good bit of AR specific knowledge about vendor resources for component parts.  In contrast, there are plenty of members here that have old join dates and have highly questionable knowledge.  Just go to the GD thread and cringe until you can't stand the misinformation any longer.  And, quite a few "new" members come to us with pretty formidable, highly skilled backgrounds.  

As to the advice to build, I agree, but only if OP wishes to invest in the basic tools needed and is competent with the basic hand tool skills needed.  Things like armorer's wrench or equivalent individual tools, clamshell receiver vise block or equivalent, preferably a good bench vise, barrel block or equivalent, torque wrench, roll pin punches, regular punches, taper pin reamers, other basic hand tools.

If OP has those tools or wants to invest in them, since he is already an AR owner, it is a great hobby to build and, indeed, a great way to customize a rifle, carbine or pistol to meet one's own needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eeeeeasy boss; arfcom has been flooded with “know it all” newbie accounts in the craziness of ‘20 & ‘21.  And generally guys from CA aren’t allowed to freedom very hard.  It’s awesome when a new account comes out swinging with solid knowledge and contributes to the forum.  It’s atypical.  That’s what I was pointing out- no need to get all woke and shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't matter, either is fine
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy one premade. You can always change it up later, but until you know what you want, might as well get something put together properly and ready to go from the start.

I personally build, but I also (pretty much) know what I want.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Flashlight
Ambi safety
Ambi Charging handle (not a necessity)
Drop-in trigger (CMC or something comparable)
Magpul backup sights (if that don't come already with the rifle)
Folding Stock/ or brace (pistol)

Budget is under $1500.. Glass not included
View Quote

*Disclaimer: I only started building right before the pandemic. Take any advice with a grain of salt.

I say build. It's easier to get what you want that way. The tools are inexpensive.

The ambi stuff will add more cost over standard mil spec, but some decent inexpensive ones out there.

I would focus on the upper first. A quality barrel, BCG, and in spec upper would be the most important parts. I've been rocking it good with Faxon barrels, Aero uppers, and Toolcraft BCGs. Though I bought a lot of these at pre 'demic prices.

You can save money on the rail/handguard and still find one that looks good and serves its function as intended.

For the lower, I intentionally avoid drop in triggers. I don't want to deal with screws, or partially enclosed triggers that can get jammed up if you blow a primer. Hasn't happened to me, I've only read about it, but better safe than sorry.

I'm really digging the Sionics Enhanced Trigger. I got mine in a lower parts kit with a standard safety. They currently have an ambi option LPK as well for under 100 bucks. Most LPKs will work fine, just get a reputable brand.

A standard weight trigger is important to me in a self defense scenario. It's not light enough to accidentally squeeze under stress. Important if any home invader stops at the sight of a gun, so no "accidents". Also important if a non-gun enthusiast in your home may need to use it.

For stripped lowers, Aero, PSA, and even poverty ponies will suffice. Get a decent stock as well.

You can also save a few bucks on the light. A Surefire G2X tactical in a Viking Tactics light mount can be had around 100 bucks or less.

For glass, if home defense only, a red dot or 1x prism scope will work nicely. I prefer a red dot with fixed irons, but flip up Magpuls work nicely. I prefer the fixed sights as a redundancy if the optic fails, or I fail to turn it on. A prism doesn't need power though.

I built my first one last year just before the pandemic. Got a fine running rifle built for about 750 after hitting all the sales. Probable 1k+ now at current prices.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Wake27... I may not be using the correct term with 3 point... the (Harris) sling I used for tactical 3 gun matches (North Carolina Tactical matches put on by Kyle Lamb) attached at rear( strap loop around the butt stock allowed the sling to slide to accommodate the needed position) and front swivel, and the rear sling loop was big enough that you placed your weak arm through and over your head... it had enough strap length that was adjustable  so that the carbine could be raised to a shooting position, with enough tension to provide stability...with the loop sling strap both in front and back you could move without the carbine being hand held and not bounce... very good if you needed to transition to a pistol, or use both hands... muzzle safely pointed down and away from your leg
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#21]
IWI Zion
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Look for Aero M4E1 offerings in complete uppers or BCM uppers. Then go with an Aero M4E1 lower. Use one of the ratcheting castle nut systems from Fortis, PWS, or Lantac. No special tools required to build that at all. In my opinion the gas block roll pin is really the only ball buster. Go with a complete upper and the Aero lower and you dont have to mess with any roll pins. I just built an 8" Aero M4E1 300blk out. I got the lower for $80, the assembled upper for $95, the barrel was $130, and the rail was $82. Youll need to be on top of inventory when it shows up, but you can still build a fantastic rifle for very little money. I went with the Seekins Select adjustable gas block, Radian Raptor SD charging handle, and Radian Talon ambi safety. I dont have alot of money into this gun at all and I was able to source every exact part that I wanted. Things are harder to cone by now for sure. It took me 3 weeks of watching inventory by the minute, but I was able to score primers for every caliber I needed. I got 6000 primers of various sizes.
For a new gun to compliment your Saint, I cant recommend the Aero 300blk out offerings. Unlike 556, it can handle subsonic and supersonic loads. Then you can start researching suppressors before the self installed Emperor makes them unavailable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Eeeeeasy boss; arfcom has been flooded with “know it all” newbie accounts in the craziness of ‘20 & ‘21.  And generally guys from CA aren’t allowed to freedom very hard.  It’s awesome when a new account comes out swinging with solid knowledge and contributes to the forum.  It’s atypical.  That’s what I was pointing out- no need to get all woke and shit.
View Quote

Strange way to point that out.  Maybe just simply agree with him and leave it at that.

Woke is criticizing someone that belongs to a group other than you just for being in that group and, in effect canceling them for being different. I ain't woke.   We need more free speech, not less.  Glad to see you aren't either.   And OP clearly is not a "know it all."  Hope we didn't scare him off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
its best to have a standard weight trigger, so some lame attorney doesn't try to make you out to be someone out to kill anyone and everyone because you have a light trigger pull on your gun (I.e. a hair trigger).
View Quote

Please, I encourage you to site your sources / legal precedent of this ever happening.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please, I encourage you to site your sources / legal precedent of this ever happening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its best to have a standard weight trigger, so some lame attorney doesn't try to make you out to be someone out to kill anyone and everyone because you have a light trigger pull on your gun (I.e. a hair trigger).

Same. Any real defense attorney who knows anything about guns will easily rebut this claim (assuming its a justifiable shooting). The easiest way to avoid a lawsuit in a HD is to know your laws and train on shoot no shoot scenarios.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Shoot 1st, ask or answer Q's later.

That said, buy or build makes no diff, as long as you are building and/or buying. Keep your collection growing.

In the realm of HD, have you OP looked at semi-auto 12 or 20ga using bird shot?

Ladies will do exceptionally well using a decent 20ga semi. Some ladies and most men can handle the 12ga.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP one thing to consider if it will be used for home or self defense dont get carried away with the trigger. Because if you ever have to use the firearm for the purpose it is intended for its best to have a standard weight trigger, so some lame attorney doesn't try to make you out to be someone out to kill anyone and everyone because you have a light trigger pull on your gun (I.e. a hair trigger).

Also, if you build your own, you need to factor in the cost of the tools unless you have a friend that has them that you can barrow.
View Quote

Nah. I know of only one case that Masaad Ayoob cites on a website where a reload is used to convict, but only on the coattails of defense not being allowed to fire the one last reload that was taken in as evidence, which would have proven the reload itself (done by the owner) does not prove any intention to "kill".

Civilian arms, not unlike cars, may be modified for "better performance, better ergonomics, easier to use". There is no part that is "meant to kill". Like a car, a gun is controlled by a person. What the person does with it (mow down people on a sidewalk, or shootup the place) is an action of the person.

As long as the firearm in question and the possessor are 100% legal, then the mod's done have zero weight in court.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top