Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 12:30:16 PM EDT
I wanted to start a discussion on the Holosun HM3X Magnifier since I don’t see much conversation about it.

I think it’s one of the best values on the market right now at $200 new ($120-175 used). I had a chance to get behind the glass yesterday and I have to say I was really impressed. It had great glass quality and the housing felt rugged. I like that it had a unique design when you compare it to other magnifiers on the market (Trijicon and the Vortex Micro look like the come from the same factory).

For everyone that dismisses it because it’s made in China, I would implore you to look at the manufacturing origin of almost every magnifier on the market. It’s a rare case where almost all of them come from China. I believe only the Eotech G33 and Aimpoints aren’t from China. Even Eotech’s G30 and Trijicon are China-made.

Here’s a great video from my favorite optic’s reviewer discussing the HM3X:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Tw4Caw3yc2U[/youtube]

What are your thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have that magnifier but have a Vortex. I do have other Holosun products and really like some of their features (circle dots and solar). What will influence my decisions in the future will greatly be weighed by the warranty. Holosuns pale when compared to Vortex, PA and a few other when it comes to CS. I will sacrifice features just to get that kind of no hassle warranty, which in my opinion, doubles the value of an optic. I understand that magnifier failure would be less likely than an electronic optic, but my advice if you get any Holosun product is to immediately register it, keep records and run it hard before the warranty period ends to shake out any defects, That said, I'm about to order a HS507C-X2, so don't take this as Holosun bashing, just my opinions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one, along with a Trijicon MRO 3x magnifier (also made in China), and currently have a G33 and an Aimpoint 3x. No complaints with the Holosun whatsoever; very nice magnifier. Lined up, height wise, with my factory lower 1/3rd non-QD Trijicon MRO mount and a Larue LT849 lower 1/3rd MRO mount. Also with an EOTech EXPS. The only reason I sold it is because I didn't need it any longer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have that magnifier but have a Vortex. I do have other Holosun products and really like some of their features (circle dots and solar). What will influence my decisions in the future will greatly be weighed by the warranty. Holosuns pale when compared to Vortex, PA and a few other when it comes to CS. I will sacrifice features just to get that kind of no hassle warranty, which in my opinion, doubles the value of an optic. I understand that magnifier failure would be less likely than an electronic optic, but my advice if you get any Holosun product is to immediately register it, keep records and run it hard before the warranty period ends to shake out any defects, That said, I'm about to order a HS507C-X2, so don't take this as Holosun bashing, just my opinions.
View Quote

Good to know for sure. It’s kind of crazy to me that they don’t have that warranty policy yet since it seems like it should be a standard to stay in business at this point.

What is their policy as it currently stands? I did drop my magnifier pretty hard and it didn’t have a scratch or damage because of the rubber cover on the housing. I didn’t realize registering it was necessary. I’ll be sure to do so
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had one, along with a Trijicon MRO 3x magnifier (also made in China), and currently have a G33 and an Aimpoint 3x. No complaints with the Holosun whatsoever; very nice magnifier. Lined up, height wise, with my factory lower 1/3rd non-QD Trijicon MRO mount and a Larue LT849 lower 1/3rd MRO mount. Also with an EOTech EXPS. The only reason I sold it is because I didn't need it any longer.
View Quote

It pairs up great with my Gen. 1 Vortex Huey. I have a PA 1-6x LPVO and my initial thoughts are the glass on the Holosun is actually a little better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good to know for sure. It’s kind of crazy to me that they don’t have that warranty policy yet since it seems like it should be a standard to stay in business at this point.

What is their policy as it currently stands? I did drop my magnifier pretty hard and it didn’t have a scratch or damage because of the rubber cover on the housing. I didn’t realize registering it was necessary. I’ll be sure to do so
View Quote

I believe the warranty is still 5 years on the glass and 3 years on electronics. You have to prove that you're the original owner and provide receipts. Vortex (and others) have a "don't care how, who, when or where" type of magic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked through a holosun out of curiosity at the LGS back in the summer and I was pleasantly surprised at the glass quality
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
4x is my sweet spot for magnifiers. I wish someone besides Sig (and some other imports) would produce a 4x magnifier.

But I do love my Holosun optics I own.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4x is my sweet spot for magnifiers. I wish someone besides Sig (and some other imports) would produce a 4x magnifier.

But I do love my Holosun optics I own.
View Quote

3x is a bit underpowered for sure in the age of 1-8 and 1-10 LPVOs. I hope the new era of tech brings us to affordable 5 or 6x magnifiers.

Also general question, I wonder if there would be a way to make a magnifier that has zoom capability aka a 3-6x magnifier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey there, this is my first time using a magnifier and I’ve started to notice a weird issue with my HM3X and I wanted to see if it was normal or not.

I have noticed that whenever I am looking down this magnifier, I do not get the traditional “scope shadow” where once you’re moving outside the eye box it starts to become black and fuzzy around the edges.

For this mag, it is crystal clear when I am within the eye box, but as soon as I shift outside of it I almost get a reflection or glass shadow instead of traditional scope shadow. I did drop the magnifier early on from a table to hardwood floor so I’m not sure if that damaged the magnifier internally.

I noticed that if I pull my head away from the magnifier then it almost looks like the front glass is shifted to the point where there is this large 1/3 portion of glass that is visible as well. I have attached pictures to visualize the issue since it’s hard to describe.

I bought this from Sportsman’s Warehouse not too long ago. If it’s compromised, is the best move to return it or send to Holosun direct?

Thanks!

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top