Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2022 1:34:10 PM EDT
Best CLP? Hoppe’s 9 vs Break Free CLP, Slip 2000, Ballistol, Frog Lube, Extreme Force, Clenzoil

I was very surprised at the Slip 2000 EWL performance compared to the Break-Free CLP.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
This was just done like 3 days ago........
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
cliffnotes?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It was CLP all along.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
No Mobil 1 or whale oil.

Pretty terrible test.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good home test.

I am surprised at how poorly slip 2000 did, especially in the lubrication test but hey, the results speak for themselves.

That being said, I am not entirely surprised by Clenzoil. That is actually pretty good stuff but I didn't think it was quite that good. I have had friends let me try it out in the past but I never purchased it myself. If it was cheaper, I would give it a go but I still don't think it would beat out my two go to CLP's, listed below.

Breakfree CLP is ok all around and that is what his tests showed.

Had he of tested Corrosion-x or Weapon shield, they would have crushed the competition in these tests.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cliffnotes?
View Quote

CLP is the best all around performer. Corrosion protection wasn't it's strong point(especially if heated)but it was one of only three that passed the -40* pour test and had good wear protection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought Slip 2000 would have done better. Disappointing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish he would of done some full synthetic engine
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought Slip 2000 would have done better. Disappointing.
View Quote

It is.  I just finished a quart of EWL I got almost ten years ago and I haven’t had any problems with an AR with it, but I have had a relatively high number of trigger problems with Glocks and I’m wondering if that lube and the Glock plating just don’t get along.

I picked up a bottle of that CLP and will start using it at some point.

I used to use CLP before I got this quart of Slip, I got the Slip because I had to choose between a gallon of CLP and a quart of Slip and I didn’t want a gallon jug of CLP!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Weapon shield will beat them all on the wear test.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
After watching that video I ordered clenzoil. Got some LP(no C) as I don't like clp, it's a compromise. The LP is thicker than CLP.  Wish he had tested LP instead, probably would have done better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After watching that video I ordered clenzoil. Got some LP(no C) as I don't like clp, it's a compromise. The LP is thicker than CLP.  Wish he had tested LP I instead, probably would have done better.
View Quote

I agree on the LP vs. CLP, but I do wonder how the Break Free Synthetic LP would have done in the freezer part of the test... I wonder that about Weapon Shield too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree on the LP vs. CLP, but I do wonder how the Break Free Synthetic LP would have done in the freezer part of the test... I wonder that about Weapon Shield too.
View Quote

I also agree LP is better than the CLP. LP can be mixed with odorless mineral spirits to make a cleaner.

The freezer part of the was the least important/relevant test he did IMO. Unless you live in a place that regularly gets below 40 below zero like that, I just don't think that test really matters. If it really is that cold, I am not going hunting (or even leaving the house) that day. I would say putting a small sample of your favorite gun oil in a standard freezer that is part of your refrigerator is more than adequate. You could also just put a small sample outside on the coldest day of your local climate and see what happens. The only products I have ever had freeze at normal cold temps for my area were frog lube and seal-1.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I also agree LP is better than the CLP. LP can be mixed with odorless mineral spirits to make a cleaner.

The freezer part of the was the least important/relevant test he did IMO. Unless you live in a place that regularly gets below 40 below zero like that, I just don't think that test really matters. If it really is that cold, I am not going hunting (or even leaving the house) that day. I would say putting a small sample of your favorite gun oil in a standard freezer that is part of your refrigerator is more than adequate. You could also just put a small sample outside on the coldest day of your local climate and see what happens. The only products I have ever had freeze at normal cold temps for my area were frog lube and seal-1.
View Quote

Actually, you're probably right... I was thinking the cold test was more important because I live in the frozen hell hole of Washington State and it's miserably cold here for 7 months out of the year, but then I thought about it and realized that don't really go outside much in the cold, even when it's only as low as 30 degrees out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
That test is just as dumb as it was in the GD thread. I don't want to @ Foxtrot08 just to repeat what he said in that thread, but let's just say he reinforced his opinion on this guy's garage tests. A hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mixture to test corrosion?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw that a while ago. I've always been a break free guy. Mostly because that's what uncle sam taught me and it never let me down.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw that a while ago. I've always been a break free guy. Mostly because that's what uncle sam taught me and it never let me down.
View Quote

They seem to change their formula quite a bit. In the 23 years that I've been buying it and using it it's changed 3 or 4 times.

In the late 90s up to about maybe 2008 it smelled like a toxic bottle of carrots (sorta miss that smell)... Then after that, the odor was more of a faded version of that smell. Sometime from 2013 to 2016 it started to smell terrible, kinda like burning rubber or something. And now, the newest stuff in the white cans has almost no odor at all. I guess before my time it actually had white Teflon in it that would settle at the bottom, so you had to shake the bottle to mix it all up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess before my time it actually had white Teflon in it that would settle at the bottom, so you had to shake the bottle to mix it all up.
View Quote

That was the stuff I got started with. Still had what was left of a gallon I GARP'd in the early 90s until maybe 6 months ago. I've had small bottles of the newer stuff here and there over the years. I've always found it to be good lube.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They seem to change their formula quite a bit. In the 23 years that I've been buying it and using it it's changed 3 or 4 times.

In the late 90s up to about maybe 2008 it smelled like a toxic bottle of carrots (sorta miss that smell)... Then after that, the odor was more of a faded version of that smell. Sometime from 2013 to 2016 it started to smell terrible, kinda like burning rubber or something. And now, the newest stuff in the white cans has almost no odor at all. I guess before my time it actually had white Teflon in it that would settle at the bottom, so you had to shake the bottle to mix it all up.
View Quote
the govt changes the CLP spec quite often so manufacturers have to update their formulas
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That test is just as dumb as it was in the GD thread. I don't want to @ Foxtrot08 just to repeat what he said in that thread, but let's just say he reinforced his opinion on this guy's garage tests. A hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mixture to test corrosion?
View Quote

ProjectFarm had a video titled something like "premium gas vs cheap gas".  I thought it would have been something like Shell vs some discount independent but instead was high vs low octane.  (Yes, I know high octane is marketed as "premium" but that really isn't the case.)  Anyway, despite the premise not being what I thought it was I watched the video and found the tests and methodology didn't seem sound.

In short, despite the potential of the topics I find that ProjectFarm's executions and conclusions are questionable.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the govt changes the CLP spec quite often so manufacturers have to update their formulas
View Quote

That would explain it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top