Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2023 6:28:22 PM EDT
I'm currently looking at the Black Dog web page for the Gen III 32 round magazine. I'm confused on a few things that's in the description.

First off, I'm wanting to build a dedicated 22 building using Milspec Aero upper and lower receivers with a Right to Bear Arms dedicated bolt and barrel.

I'm curious if this magazine will A) fit my reciever set up and B) work with the .22 conversion setup. It doesn't specifically mention this in the details.

There is a reference to a Catch22 device, but the link only takes me to the homepage. What is the device that they are speaking of?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:41:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#1]
The magazines will fit a standard AR-15 magwell and work with a dedicated 22LR bolt/barrel assembly, or a conversion.  The Catch22 is a LRBHO device that will lock the bolt back after the last round.  If having LRBHO is not an issue for you, just ignore that part.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
They work great with my PSA lower, RTB complete upper. Buy them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this what your are talking about?

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zukiphile] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 243savage:
Is this what your are talking about?

View Quote

That is what he is talking about.  The ARCatch22 site warns that the BDM magazine may not actually work the Catch22 though.  https://arcatch22.com/
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
That magazine is the gold standard for AR22

RCA
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi! Alex with AR Catch22 here.

We had originally been working with BDM on that Gen3 design, but it ended up falling short of working properly with the Catch22.

The spring tension is too weak and the follower doesn't stick up high enough for a true LRBHO. Here's a video of the function: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbsCT7D-k0k

Personally I recommend running S&W 15-22 mags with a shim in a .22lr setup as it'll give you the most consistent LRBHO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyvr_Ra2eE
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By alpalwal:
Hi! Alex with AR Catch22 here.

We had originally been working with BDM on that Gen3 design, but it ended up falling short of working properly with the Catch22.

The spring tension is too weak and the follower doesn't stick up high enough for a true LRBHO. Here's a video of the function: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbsCT7D-k0k

Personally I recommend running S&W 15-22 mags with a shim in a .22lr setup as it'll give you the most consistent LRBHO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyvr_Ra2eE
View Quote
Weak spring tension seems to be a common issue as the new CMMG magazines have the same issue. I know @Renaissancemann has replaced the CCMG mag spring with a S&W 15-22 spring and that combo seems to work.

Yes a fully functioning LRBHO with BDM magazines would be nice, but as long as I can still manually lock the bolt back with the Catch22 I will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Weak spring tension seems to be a common issue as the new CMMG magazines have the same issue. I know @Renaissancemann has replaced the CCMG mag spring with a S&W 15-22 spring and that combo seems to work.

Yes a fully functioning LRBHO with BDM magazines would be nice, but as long as I can still manually lock the bolt back with the Catch22 I will be fine.
View Quote

Yeah, swapping the CMMG spring for a 15-22 one works great. The main challenge there is that it's super hard to find standalone 15-22 springs for sale.

As far as manually locking the bolt back though - that's not mag dependent so you'll have that functionality with whatever you use.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]
@alpalwal
Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the info on the bolt catch. It'll be awhile for me to pick one up. Some bills popped up preventing me from building a dedicated 22 SBR lower.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
@alpalwal
Finally picked up and installed the dedicated Catch 22 bolt catch. I used it with non-compatible magazines, but still love it. Every once in a while a spent casing will get caught between the bolt and the downward section of the charging handle. The bolt catch let's me hold the bolt back as I push the charging handle forward, allowing the stuck casing to become loose and fall out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Bore buddy has extra power mag springs.

They also have the catch 22 components if you want to run BDM mags and have LRBHO.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI I don't believe the Bore Buddy BDM springs have been tested with the Catch22 yet. Their CMMG springs work great with the V2 mags, but YMMV on the BDM side. I'm personally not optimistic that the springs will fix the issue since the follower on the V3 BDM mags doesn't stick up very high.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#13]
Some dedicated uppers and conversion kits tend to kick spent brass up and it gets caught in the charging handle void.   Sometimes the brass is difficult to remove and I usually use my pliers in my utility tool.   Bore Buddy sells a polymer insert to fill the void in the charging handle and CMMG sell a polymer charging handle to help alleviate this problem.   You can also fill the charging handle void with silicone RTV.

https://www.righttobear.com/bore-buddy-22lr-ar-reliability-kit-bb-rel-kt/
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top