Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2022 4:09:32 PM EDT
I was finally able to take my Noveske out for some accuracy testing today…..(Covid kicked my butt for the past two weeks). Anyway, the gun shot well using two different hand loads. One was 44gr Varget with a 168gr SMK and the other was 40gr Benchmark with 168gr SMK. Groups were around  1” or smaller. This is not a bench gun, so I felt the groups were very acceptable for a 16” barrel and 10x scope.

The problem I was having was I was unable to extract live rounds using the charging handle. I had to mortar them out. The OAL length on my reloads are 2.80 which is well within spec. I was having the same issue with full length sizing dies so I purchased small base dies and still having the same issue. The gun either has a very tight chamber or a short chamber. Shortening OAL increases pressure so…….. any ideas?.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Noveske has a chamber on the tighter side of SAAMI.  I am going to bet it is locking on the ogive of the bullet, or the shoulder.

Take some Dykem or a sharpie and mark those areas, chamber a round, and find the interference.

Also, take out the bolt and make sure there is no binding on the base of your brass.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Noveske has a chamber on the tighter side of SAAMI.  I am going to bet it is locking on the ogive of the bullet, or the shoulder.  

Take some Dykem or a sharpie and mark those areas, chamber a round, and find the interference.

Also, take out the bolt and make sure there is no binding on the base of your brass.
View Quote

Thank you for your reply. If that is indeed what is happening, is the solution the seat slightly shorter?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a carrier with a bur that would bite into the gas rings and require a good mortar to open. Similarly a cam pin/carrier that didn’t get along without a lot of lube until broken in.

Have you fired something other than your reloads? Maybe factory ammo can eliminate that variable?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You can see the marks on the bullet and what looks like rings around the bullet.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My gap ar10 has to be mortared for anything above 2.805

I can’t believe a modem rifle would require you to load shorter than standard oal

I’d be calling Noveske

Just my opinion

44 grains of varget??  Hat seems a bit on the hot side
View Quote

As per Hodgdon, you can go up to 45gr with 168gr
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Good looking rifle and nice shooting.

Have you tried cycling a factory FGGM round through it?  
If it was mine I would reduce the OAL slightly, maybe .005-.010 or so on some dummy rounds and see how those cycle.

On a side note, don't know if it really matters but your 44gr of Varget load is kinda stiff for "Service Rifle Loads".  I use 43 gr and the velocities are virtually the same as factory FGGM.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to try some quality factory thru it.  I went thru the same with a dpms 308.  Kept chasing seating depth thinking that was it.

Think about it, if that bullet was jammed that hard into the leade, the bullet would have been pulled via mortaring.

I finally broke down and bought factory ammo, no more issues.
All I had to do in my case was bump the shoulder back a smidge.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This!

Put some factory ammo through it and use a “headspace comparator” to find your headspace. Set up your dies to bump the shoulder back accordingly. Your pics of the marked cases don’t seem to indicate an OAL problem.

You can also color the shoulders and check after chambering.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
use headspace gauges to check for correct headspace? as a starting point.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
that shoulder looks rough

how is the brass chambering and extracting after you size it
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My money is on shoulder needing bumped back more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you bottoming your FL die on the shellholder when you size?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Im phone posting right now, but those look like standard marks from extracting live rounds.

Look up Hellbender's Guide, apply some or all of the techniques. Youll be amazed. Also, there was another poster, forget his full screen name, LRRP-32 or something like that. Great info in hos posts regarding various AR10 woes. I haven't been coming here lately, he was abandoning the AR10 platform for the 6.5G when i was last active here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You need to try some quality factory thru it.  I went thru the same with a dpms 308.  Kept chasing seating depth thinking that was it.

Think about it, if that bullet was jammed that hard into the leade, the bullet would have been pulled via mortaring.

I finally broke down and bought factory ammo, no more issues.
View Quote

Not in my experience. Also buy a Sheridan cartridge gauge
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on this being a shoulder issue, not a bullet issue.  I had a tight chamber gun that I literally had to take a couple of swipes off the mouth of the sizing die to bump the shoulder back far enough.  I decided to sell it rather than deal with "just for the Sako" ammo, and yes, I included the die...
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I figured out what was happening. The sizing die had loosened just enough that it was not sizing the entire length of the brass. That is the point at the very base where it was hanging up. I tightened the die, resized a few of the pieces of brass I had to mortar out and they cycled by hand using the charging handle without issue. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I figured out what was happening. The sizing die had loosened just enough that it was not sizing the entire length of the brass. That is the point at the very base where it was hanging up. I tightened the die, resized a few of the pieces of brass I had to mortar out and they cycled by hand using the charging handle without issue. Problem solved.
View Quote
that's great that you figured it out , it seemed like a sizing issue

i always try a couple of pieces of brass in my chamber once i've set the sizing die up before i run the rest of the batch
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Pro tip - Hornady lock rings and/or indicator paint will prevent the problem from happening again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC3QIGC/ref=twister_B01HC3QIGW?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#22]
A 2.800" oal will never stick a bullet in the rifling.

Your shoulders need to be setback a few more .001". You need at least .003" of headspace clearance in a semi-auto.

If you are using military brass, your load is too hot by a wide margin. The Varget charge is 2.0 to 2.5 grains over maximum when using 168's in Lake City brass.

Mortar it. Don't be shy about it either. Remove your optics first and collapse the stock, then hammer away.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the same issue with 308 in both my JP and DD. In my case my Redding 308 FL sizing die could not be adjusted low enough to where I wouldn't end up with a round or two every magazine not going fully into battery. Cam over or no cam over, my 308 cases _just_ failed a case gauge with that die. It was close, to the point that slamming into battery completed the sizing on most rounds and the rifles mostly ran fine, but no one wants a rifle that fails to go into battery once a magazine.

Once I figured that out I went ahead and ordered the small base FL sizer, which solved the problem altogether for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top