User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have colt, psa, tool craft, and spikes bcg’s. All have never given me any issues. The bcg I want to buy next is a chromed young mfg, but I need it like a hole in the head
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have colt, psa, tool craft, and spikes bcg’s. All have never given me any issues. The bcg I want to buy next is a chromed young mfg, but I need it like a hole in the head
View Quote
Before I got my ultrasonic cleaner, I was thinking about a chrome, now, I don’t care. The chrome are pretty though
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@MACVSOG  original post

"Chrome has a lower coefficient of friction than parkerizing does. This means that there is less drag with a chrome bolt carrier. The fact that chrome is harder than the parked aluminum upper receiver does not enter into the evaluation of this part, as the most important aspect of wear and tear between two moving parts is the coefficient of friction. Years ago, when I was shooting a lot of Norinco .223 ammo, which was very plentiful at the time, but it was filthy, I did a test. I took two similar M16 uppers with 11.5 inch barrels, and in one I had the chrome bolt carrier and in the other I had the GI issue parked bolt carrier. We fired mag after mag (with the appropriate amount of time between mags to allow cooling). What I found was that the upper with the parked bolt carrier had malfunctions due to carbon buildup hundreds of rounds before the upper with the chrome bolt carrier. We switched the bolt carriers and tried the test again to ensure it was not just something about that particular upper receiver in which we had the chrome bolt carrier and/or barrel setup that allowed for better functioning. We got the same results. I later quit using filthy ammo such as this, but it showed me that the chrome bolt carrier does give you a little edge over the parked one. However, this would only be in a weapon firing full auto, as you are unlikely to get that many rounds through a semi-auto AR in an afternoon shooting that it would pay to have the chrome bolt carrier. Colt chromed the early ones to cut down on the coefficient of friction to allow better functioning. However, with the advent of different powder, different buffer, and requiring that soldiers learn how to clean their weapons, Colt decided that the chrome plating was expensive and not really necessary. I use chrome bolt carriers in all my M16 and AR uppers. The reasons: 1) I really like the way they look, 2) I was impressed with my tests with the dirty ammo so I figure it does give me a little edge whether I need it or not, and 3) the chrome carriers and bolts are easier to clean because the carbon is easier to see on chrome and carbon does not stick as much on chrome as it does on parked parts.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms"
View Quote
Why not just use Black Nitride? The coefficient of friction between Nitride and Chrome is very close. Both are between 0.1 - 0.2

Or you can go DLC. DLC coefficient of friction is .02 - .15

Edit - That post about chrome was Circa 2010. Nitride wasn't a thing back then.

I've purchased countless carriers in my day in the pursuit of the "best". I function test all of my personal uppers that I build on our shop Daniel Defense MK18 Machine Gun. If it can run a full magazine on Full Auto then it will preform. With that being said, every carrier be it phosphate, NIB, Nitride, or DLC that I have ever tested passed. Where these coatings begin to shine is over the longevity of cleanings. I personally only buy Black Nitride Toolcraft Carriers now because, simply put, they run longer dirty. As an added bonus, they look pretty slick through the ejection port. I don't like NIB because it tends to get a black tarnish to it that makes it constantly look dirty.

If you keep a light coating of oil on the Nitride stuff carbon comes off very easily. My go to oil for lubrication on ALL of my firearms is Brad Penn 10w30. If its good enough for the race cars I've owned then its dam sure good enough for a firearm!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Before I got my ultrasonic cleaner, I was thinking about a chrome, now, I don’t care. The chrome are pretty though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes they are. I’ve had my eye on a Young Mfg chromed bcg for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
there are environments where you can't run it wet and there are conditions where you can't keep it wet.  A dry gun will let you know if it's running properly or not, ask anyone in artic training
View Quote
I vaguely recall hearing that there’s some kind of graphite(?) lube that’s designed for cold weather, but it’s been years since I’ve seen it discussed, and I’ve never been stationed in Alaska. Slip 2000 also claims that their gun lube will work down to -110 F, but I don’t recall hearing anyone talk about first hand experience with it at those temperatures.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a lesson for Mr. Hat who doesn't understand that friction is a principle of physics.

Friction: Crash Course Physics #6
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's a lesson for Mr. Hat who doesn't understand that friction is a principle of physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_pmp5rtzo
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Sons of liberty BCG is 114.99 at Primary arms right now.  Not bad for a Microbest BCG with sprinco extractor spring
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_pmp5rtzo
apparently both of you need to go back to school as friction is a costant in all meta sciences...JHC are people this fking stupid?

Blain, you need to try harder and not spend half the day trying to find one small subset of a science that is based on things that have practically no bearing on your stupid ass initial post and are present in every discipline.

start with metallurgical principals of metals, nonmetals and metaloids and report back
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

apparently both of you need to go back to school as friction is a costant in all meta sciences...JHC are people this fking stupid?

Blain, you need to try harder and not spend half the day trying to find one small subset of a science that is based on things that have practically no bearing on your stupid ass initial post and are present in every discipline.

start with metallurgical principals of metals, nonmetals and metaloids and report back
View Quote
Ok, so you're admitting now that physics is a principle of physics?  Good, progress!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Considering Blain is talking about the friction coefficient of the BC due to the finish/coating, the metallurgy (Metal Physics) of the BC is mostly, if not completely, irrelevant (since we aren't worried about the friction coefficient of the BC metal itself). We would actually need to start with tribology, which draws on many academic fields including physics. But without going down that rabbit hole, what do we all know to be true? Phosphate finishes are rougher (more friction) than Chrome (less friction). Phosphate finish is rougher because it's more porous, which also causes carbon to adhere to it much easier, which then causes more friction. Is a phosphate finish suitable for a BCG. Sure. Is it the most ideal finish? No. Does a phosphate finished BCG have a higher chance of hanging up due to dirt and debris than a Chrome plated or NiB BCG. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I ain't getting into a squabble but I think something is worth mentioning, 'carbon is a dry lubricant'. Carbon actually lessons friction, rather than increases friction.

Chrome, NB and Nitride are all fairly slick and require less oil than Phosphate. Phosphate holds oil better due to the rougher surface. Take that however you want.

All surfaces eventually become carbon covered if left uncleaned, so comparing the surface friction of different carrier finishes is only relevant to perfectly clean carriers. After some rounds are fired, all of the surfaces will have a film of carbon and become fairly equal. The longer the surfaces go without cleaning, the more equal they become.

Adding oil to an already carbon covered carrier actually creates less friction than any of the surfaces started with. I think most people look at a carbon covered upper and assume it is adding friction when it actually isn't. Carbon only becomes a problem when it is 'thick' enough to bind tight surfaces/tolerances.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lay it all out there @Blain.

"Extensive torture and reliability testing".  "Trust me" is not enough.
View Quote
Don't doubt the shake test!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]
DD makes great stuff I have zero doubts their chrome BCG is great and worth the money. However, I don’t want to spend $200 on a BCG. I am not scientific, I just spend money on other things
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ain't getting into a squabble but I think something is worth mentioning, 'carbon is a dry lubricant'. Carbon actually lessons friction, rather than increases friction.

Chrome, NB and Nitride are all fairly slick and require less oil than Phosphate. Phosphate holds oil better due to the rougher surface. Take that however you want.

All surfaces eventually become carbon covered if left uncleaned, so comparing the surface friction of different carrier finishes is only relevant to perfectly clean carriers. After some rounds are fired, all of the surfaces will have a film of carbon and become fairly equal. The longer the surfaces go without cleaning, the more equal they become.

Adding oil to an already carbon covered carrier actually creates less friction than any of the surfaces started with. I think most people look at a carbon covered upper and assume it is adding friction when it actually isn't. Carbon only becomes a problem when it is 'thick' enough to bind tight surfaces/tolerances.
View Quote
Graphite carbon is a dry lubricant. Not the impure “carbon” that builds up in a firearm. There are tons of impurities (unburnt powder, lead, gunpowder additives, and the list goes on) that cause more friction. Also, the surface of the carbon build up on a porous phosphate BC is going to be different than on a Chrome or NiB coated bolt.

None of it really matters if you are lubricating like you should.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Also Agree
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Graphite carbon is a dry lubricant. Not the impure “carbon” that builds up in a firearm. There are tons of impurities (unburnt powder, lead, gunpowder additives, and the list goes on) that cause more friction. Also, the surface of the carbon build up on a porous phosphate BC is going to be different than on a Chrome or NiB coated bolt.

View Quote
The remnants of smokeless powder and gasses that leave the ''carbon'' in our firearms is still a dry lubricant.
Ever since I first had it explained to me, I found it interesting. Sure, nobody is scraping off gun residue and selling it as lube but the carbon left behind still has lubricating properties. It has to do with the shape of the Atoms, I'm no scientist so I don't fully grasp the science of it. What I do understand is the results of carbon building up in firearms. The carbon itself does seem to be a lube and adding oil to the carbon seems to form a very slick layer.
You make a good point about additives. I think it has more to do with sand or dirt bonding to the left over carbon and oil that can eventually add friction, not the burnt powder itself. The only time I have seen ''carbon'' do anything other than add a layer of dry lube is when it becomes thick. Once carbon builds up, it causes friction issues due to small tolerances, rather than the surface itself being rough. Small particles of foreign material bonding with the carbon will obviously be different than the ''carbon'' itself.
If you pay attention to how a firearm reacts to the carbon, you will find that it has only positive effects on friction until it becomes 'thick', as I mentioned. It's the same principle as grease, grease is also a lube but thick grease can actually add friction to tight tolerances.
My point is, the original metal surface of the carrier has less friction once a film of ''carbon'' has formed. The metal itself has more friction than the ''carbon'' layer.

The finish on a carrier has more to do with how it bonds to additives like oil and carbon than the finishes original friction.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@Alaska511

He will have input...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
there are environments where you can't run it wet and there are conditions where you can't keep it wet.  A dry gun will let you know if it's running properly or not, ask anyone in artic training
I vaguely recall hearing that there’s some kind of graphite(?) lube that’s designed for cold weather, but it’s been years since I’ve seen it discussed, and I’ve never been stationed in Alaska. Slip 2000 also claims that their gun lube will work down to -110 F, but I don’t recall hearing anyone talk about first hand experience with it at those temperatures.
@Alaska511

He will have input...
I am not familiar with the graphite lube he mentioned, graphite was always taboo.

Before I knew better, we would just shoot ARs clean with RemOil or nothing at all if it was going be below zero.

Slip EWL after I started reading here, and Amsoil 0w20 Signature

I cold soaked 2 rifles overnight and did that test for Spikes in -15* with the Spikes Extreme lube, they never lost a beat, but they were sluggish.  I might have had issues if it had been colder, I am not sure.  It's good oil, though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been very happy with my LMT enhanced bolt and enhanced carrier.  This one is used suppressed 100% of the time with no sign of being over gassed.  Ammo is typically wolf gold or Federal Xm193.  The Silencerco Saker is certainly not known as a low back pressure can either.  Buffer is a Geissele Super 42 H2.

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been very happy with my LMT enhanced bolt and enhanced carrier.  This one is used suppressed 100% of the time with no sign of being over gassed.  Ammo is typically wolf gold or Federal Xm193.  The Silencerco Saker is certainly not known as a low back pressure can either.  Buffer is a Geissele Super 42 H2.

https://i.imgur.com/QrTa7JL.jpg
View Quote
As it happens, Brownells got the LMT Enhanced BCG in stock as of yesterday, which coincided with a 10% code (and other online incentives), so I ordered one.  I do wish they would finish the actual carrier out of something different, but to the point that many made here, it isn't likely that it will matter given the use of this AR (it won't be primary for me).  The only reason I would like an alternative coating/finish is for ease of cleaning. . . . because I'm a super-lazy, high-maintenance, spoiled baby.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input.  It broadened my knowledge quite a bit.  I'm going to be buying several of the other recommended BCGs as coupon codes and discounts coincide . . . and I'm looking forward to seeing the differences.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top