BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/24/2019 3:13:07 PM EDT
I'm waiting on a Form 1 to get back on a 10.5" LMT, and I haven't selected a BCG yet.  My plan was just to get the LMT Enhanced BCG, but I realized that with all of the options out there - Lantac, LWRC, etc. etc., I may be excluding some of the better options.  This rifle will be shot suppressed a lot, and my experience is that LMTs are, at the very least, NOT undergassed.  Ammo will be XM193 primarily.

What I would like is the best option . . . but after some experience with a KAC BCG, I realized that easily replaceable/standardized parts are also something that should be considered (maybe not determinative).

Additional guidelines:  1) Please no "just buy 4 PSAs".  I don't want PSAs.  I have a spare BCM at home and can always use that.  I'm looking for what makes the most sense in an SBR that will be eating a lot of its own gas and gunk. 2) No KAC.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
90% of the people here are going to tell you to get a ToolCraft BCG. I'm going to get one myself just to see what the hype is all about. I've only ever bought BCM, but they are overpriced.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Or AO Precision... 69.99 at RightToBear.com (site sponsor)
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
For my short suppressed rifles, I've been running the Bootleg adjustable carriers for a while now and they've worked great. My one 10.3 I used to get gassed out on has since been one of my favorite to shoot
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I'd stick with your original idea and get the LMT enhanced.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't shoot suppressed, but I've had several 300+ round afternoons with temps in the mid 90's and FailZero EXO coated BCGs have never let me down.  
A wipe down with a rag at the end of the day will remove 90% of the crud, too.

I'd look for them to go on sale July 4th with Primary Arms.  
https://www.primaryarms.com/failzero-exo-coated-m16-bolt-carrier-group
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a Toolcraft and several extra bolts to replace every 5-7k rounds because 10.5" guns are hard as hell on bolts. Add some gas tubes and barrels to your order too. LMT enhanced bolts do last longer, but check that round count vs bolt if it's worth the cost to you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting a Toolcraft isn't particularly bad advice. The LMT 10.5s are ported at .070-.071" and that's about right for both suppressed and unsuppressed without requiring adjustment. I use either Colt or Toolcraft in my suppressed 10.3s and I have no complaints. I clean them every 2,000-2,500rds and they are boring reliable. It's going to be filthy no matter what BCG you use; you can get a "specialty" BCG, but I don't see it as being a requirement by any means.

That said, if you want a whizbang BCG, the LMT probably isn't a bad choice. I don't own any specialty BCGs, so I can't comment beyond that. As far as needing to replace bolts every 5-7k, can't say that's been my experience. I've got 12k on a C158 bolt in a Toolcraft - hell, there is a guy in the clone thread that has 27k+ on the same bolt, almost all suppressed. It isn't that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Bootleg adjustable or LMT enhanced
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Son's of Liberty Gun Works makes an excellent bcg that is a little cheaper than BCMs. They will also replace or repair it if anything breaks or wears out.

It says right on the box: "lifetime warranty. If you're awesome enough to shoot one of these out, send it back... we'll replace or repair it."
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
For what you're running, you'll want a fully chrome plated BCG.  Daniel Defense makes the best one.  Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
LMT Enhanced if you want a BCG optimized for short suppressed use.
SOLGW if you want a solid Milspec style BCG.
FWIW my MK18 only gets run suppressed, and I use a Colt BCG, and it runs fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LMT Enhanced if you want a BCG optimized for short suppressed use.
SOLGW if you want a solid Milspec style BCG.
FWIW my MK18 only gets run suppressed, and I use a Colt BCG, and it runs fine.
View Quote
I have a Mk 18 that I shoot 100% suppressed. It runs fine a standard mil spec BCG, but after shooting a higher rate of fire, and it is good and warmed up, I was getting way too much gas in my face. I switched to adjustable in that gun for that reason. It is the gun that I get all gassed out on. I shoot suppressed on all my guns
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a Mk 18 that I shoot 100% suppressed. It runs fine a standard mil spec BCG, but after shooting a higher rate of fire, and it is good and warmed up, I was getting way too much gas in my face. I switched to adjustable in that gun for that reason. It is the gun that I get all gassed out on. I shoot suppressed on all my guns
View Quote
You using a Gasbuster or similar charging handle? Gasbuster on my Mk18 and the Super Charging Handle on my URGI cut gas really well even into higher shot cadences and tempos.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
LMT enhanced
Forward Controls
SOLGW

Probably in that order. I did like the BCM BCG I had though, so I'm not sure you need to buy another one if that one doesn't have a home.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You using a Gasbuster or similar charging handle? Gasbuster on my Mk18 and the Super Charging Handle on my URGI cut gas really well even into higher shot cadences and tempos.
View Quote
I have a gas buster in it. It doesn’t help. The fix was the adjustable BCG
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Gasbuster is the only thing I need. No doubt it depends on the can design, how often the gun is cleaned, gas port size and a whole host of other factors. Hell, the tolerances on the upper probably play a part as well (charging handle channel tighter or looser).

With a low back pressure SF can and Gasbuster, I have zero problems with gas in the face. I'll have gas blowing out of the ejection port and the GB channel, but it never stings my eyes or bothers me, even during long rapid fire strings. Come to think of it, even with an NT4 (which has a lot more back pressure), it still isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d get an adjustable carrier since you’re going to suppress it..
Bootleg, Gemtech, SF, etc
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Gasbuster plus toolcraft or AO precision seems to work well on my 10.5" LMTs.  They get the most rounds through them.  H2 buffer, standard has block.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
A Toolcraft for $70 will do the same thing as any other BCG. I personally see no point to spending 2-3 times as much on a carrier, when it literally does the exact same thing. Unless you want something different, just for the sake of having something different, just get Toolcraft.
Chrome, NB or Nitride will be easier to clean off than Parkerized.
I have personally owned and used around 20 BCGs of various manufacturers and only one ever gave me a problem. The one that had issue still worked perfect in certain guns, it just didn't like short dwell time/high pressure guns. I believe the gas ring vent holes were placed slightly too far rearward which vented gas quicker. It was also a carrier made about 20 years ago when products were less consistent. The point is, it's not even easy to find a bad carrier.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
The semi auto LMT Enhanced still offers the gas disbursement thing that differentiates the Enhanced carrier from others. Less than an H2 buffer and the semi auto enhanced carrier should set up nicely with an sbr. Use whatever bolt floats your boat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or AO Precision... 69.99 at RightToBear.com (site sponsor)
View Quote
This. ???Or stick with the LMT idea. I’d stay away from nickel boron if you plan on shooting suppressed a lot. All my Lantac and Spikes nickel boron carriers are stained from suppressor use.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want to go all out, the chrome DD bcg is fantastic.

For milspec, Colt, toolcraft, centurion, SOLGW

For NiB but still low priced, I've had great results with Failzero(I believe they invented the NiB coating on bcgs, or one of those fancy coatings)

ETA: I Re-read the OP and for SBR and suppressed, I would go with the chrome DD for premium and Failzero for budget.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Toolcraft.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]
If you're going to shoot it with a can a lot I'd suggest the Gemtech style adjustable carrier.

It's a bit more idiot-proof than the Bootleg version.   It's easy to clean while still holding oil better than a chrome/NiB/NP3 carrier.   The altered rail geometry of the PWS family of carriers (Bootleg, Gemtech, PWS enchanced) in my experience helps them run longer with cans.

It's the kind of thing you try out in person and go "I need this thing".   I now own 5 of them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#26]
One lmt enhanced or two to three standard toolcrafts.

Not really a point in spending $200 on a Gucci bag that doesn't do anything different than a toolcraft.

Lmt is the only non kac bcg I'd pay a premium for.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#27]
AO.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have the extra cash, the lmt enhanced. Otherwise, toolcraft for sure.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#29]
There's no reason to pay $150 for a SOLGW BCG when Toolcraft and A.O. Precision, two of the best in the BCG business, have theirs at less than half that price, and equal or better quality.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#30]
PsA premium:)
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's no reason to pay $150 for a SOLGW BCG when Toolcraft and A.O. Precision, two of the best in the BCG business, have theirs at less than half that price, and equal or better quality.
View Quote
I think AO is a steal at $70 or $80. There are videos of them making the BCGs and lowers. I know Toolcraft is good, but they just make carrier. AO makes and finishes everything they make in house, bolts too. They have the Colt gray finish that just adds to the cool factor. Best kept secret in the AR world

Business Beat (January 2012): AO Precision Manufacturing

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]
If you already have a spare BCM, I’d just use that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on a Form 1 to get back on a 10.5" LMT, and I haven't selected a BCG yet.  My plan was just to get the LMT Enhanced BCG, but I realized that with all of the options out there - Lantac, LWRC, etc. etc., I may be excluding some of the better options.  This rifle will be shot suppressed a lot, and my experience is that LMTs are, at the very least, NOT undergassed.  Ammo will be XM193 primarily.

What I would like is the best option . . . but after some experience with a KAC BCG, I realized that easily replaceable/standardized parts are also something that should be considered (maybe not determinative).

Additional guidelines:  1) Please no "just buy 4 PSAs".  I don't want PSAs.  I have a spare BCM at home and can always use that.  I'm looking for what makes the most sense in an SBR that will be eating a lot of its own gas and gunk. 2) No KAC.  
View Quote
Daniel Defense chrome BCG.  Thank me later when you clean it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think AO is a steal at $70 or $80. There are videos of them making the BCGs and lowers. I know Toolcraft is good, but they just make carrier. AO makes and finishes everything they make in house, bolts too. They have the Colt gray finish that just adds to the cool factor. Best kept secret in the AR world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiAS1JEcWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lJvcu-qDE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, it's why I recommended it.  AO is pretty much all I use when not using Colt or FN.  AO is outstanding
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yup, it's why I recommended it.  AO is pretty much all I use when not using Colt or FN.  AO is outstanding
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This here. In fact there’s a fair chance the BCG shipped with many higher end ARs is made by AO.. think FN, BCM, Geissele, perhaps now Colt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I wasn't aware of AO. But the specs are there.

I grabbed a couple.

I know SOLGW bcgs are made by Microbest.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you all for your recommendations. . . You've given me a ton to think about and a lot of options I hadn't considered.  The problem is that now I want to try several.  Why isn't there an emoji where there's a smiley handing over a stack of cash, or, alternatively, making it rain? Who's in charge here? @aimless @bigwaylon ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Toolcraft I have several guns with several thousands of rounds in several calibers at have never had a single failure. Keep it lubed and you're golden.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This here. In fact there’s a fair chance the BCG shipped with many higher end ARs is made by AO.. think FN, BCM, Geissele, perhaps now Colt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nailed it

I want to say Colt is AO sans the C
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you see the chick with the LaRue Tactical shirt on? I wonder if/what LaRue is buying off of them. I'm sure she probably got it off of a rep for LaRue. Edit: Nevermind, I just read something about AO supplying LaRue. Still wonder what all they get from them. Looks like I'll be getting an AO bolt too to see what the hype is about.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I like Sionics for the price.  They are just as good as BCM and SOLGW and are $130.  They use a sprinco extractor spring that is much better than standard and helps with reliability.  If you want a coated bcg they offer an NP3 coated which is nice

Other options

AO- I like these better than TC and RTB has great pricing

Centurion
FCD
Cryptic Coatings
Toolcraft from spicetac
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Under heavy fouling, a phosphate BCG becomes sluggish as carbon builds up and creates more friction under movement.  A fully chromed BCG makes a HUGE difference.  Trust me, I have done extensive torture and reliability testing with all types of BCGs.  Anyone who says it doesn't matter or make a difference doesn't know what they are talking about.

NiB, is no good because carbon will actually stick and build up after a period of time.  Nickel teflon is ok, but wears more easily.  I have found hard chrome to be the best, bar none.  Not all chrome plating processes are created equal either, there can be huge variances in the type of chrome and the plating process.  Daniel Defense full chrome BCG is not only fully mil spec (including the fatter head full auto firing pin), but it has the right type of chrome plating which is hard to find.

The AR platform was designed to have a fully chromed BCG by Stoner.  It is part of its intended design.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Like many others have said, I feel the LMT Enhanced Bolt (carrier too if you want, but the bolt for sure) is simply the best for a short barreled rifle.  As far as carriers go, there are several manufacturers I really like that are making them fit a bit better in the receiver and receiver extension (Lantac, Sharps, Radian).  Personally I went with the Lantac.  You can see the back end of those carriers have a different shape and are wider.  Difficult to quantify the the benefits, but I definitely feel a difference when the bolt is cycling. Lastly, I have also just purchased LMT enhanced extractor ($30 I believe last time I checked) and put it in a different bolt as the LMT bolt is fairly spend it...worth it though in my mind.

Recently though, I have been testing out a chromed BCG and it's pretty crazy.  Very, very slick.  Better than NiB coatings in my experience.  I would do some research there though and make sure you go with a manufacturer that really knows how to apply the chrome.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Under heavy fouling, a phosphate BCG becomes sluggish as carbon builds up and creates more friction under movement.  A fully chromed BCG makes a HUGE difference.  Trust me, I have done extensive torture and reliability testing with all types of BCGs.  Anyone who says it doesn't matter or make a difference doesn't know what they are talking about.

NiB, is no good because carbon will actually stick and build up after a period of time.  Nickel teflon is ok, but wears more easily.  I have found hard chrome to be the best, bar none.  Not all chrome plating processes are created equal either, there can be huge variances in the type of chrome and the plating process.  Daniel Defense full chrome BCG is not only fully mil spec (including the fatter head full auto firing pin), but it has the right type of chrome plating which is hard to find.

The AR platform was designed to have a fully chromed BCG by Stoner.  It is part of its intended design.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
stop....this is old internet nonsense.  Is chrome better, sure but you can go thousands upon thousands of rounds with phosphate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#49]
So how do all the PSA haters feel about them buying Toolcraft now? Just curious...
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top