Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:43:51 AM EDT
I got a Palmetto Arms Dissy upper quite awhile back that I've been sitting on until I could make some mods. I finally got my A2 uppers and I'm trying to remove the barrel from the original flat top upper.  It came with a low profile gas block that has two set screws. One came loose without too much effort, but the other one is quite stubborn. I'm guessing some serious threadlocker is in play here and I don't want to strip out the hex set screw trying to get it loose.

I was thinking maybe heat is the answer, but the only options I can think of are my wife's (no pics) blow dryer or flame (lighter, torch, etc).

First, is heat the right answer? What other options for getting this stubborn thing off? Any other advice?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes heat...anyway you prefer. Then if you have messed up the socket, use a torx bit, if not use a hex bit and hammer in the shock and seat it and it will come out just fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes heat...anyway you prefer. Then if you have messed up the socket, use a torx bit, if not use a hex bit and hammer in the shock and seat it and it will come out just fine.
View Quote

How much heat is needed? Would a hair dryer suffice? Wife may have a heat gun for her crafting stuff.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How much heat is needed? Would a hair dryer suffice? Wife may have a heat gun for her crafting stuff.....
View Quote

Likely more heat than a hairdryer puts out.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Hair dryer will work. Just hold it close. The set screw you have out, look down the hole as you do it for the loctite to start melting and it is ready then.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]

This.

All day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#7]
lol, I use a hand torch myself. It is much faster. I used to use a heat gun but kept knocking it over and got tired of super gluing it back together.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Soldering Irons can also be used.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top