Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2024 9:00:41 PM EDT
I posted about my XM177E2 earlier. Just thought I would post a couple pictures of my H&R M16A1 I picked up a few weeks ago at PSA. It is stock condition right now, other than a 20 round mag I had around. Couple questions. It is my understanding the dust cover door should be grey phosphate. If so, is there a source for lighter grey ones? I see the PSA H&R doors that come up every so often look pretty dark, so not a lot better than the one on my rifle. Also, is the handguard slip ring supposed to be lighter grey also? Sorry for the basic questions.

Anyway, I like the rifle, but it would be nice to get those parts looking more correct.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
that's real nice
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe their new ones are better.  The ones I just got from brownells are a dark gray and I suspect are the same source as psa.  They look good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
From what Mike has said, nobody is doing the phosphating as was done contemporary to the original production, so everything is a little darker. You can take the door off and hit it with some naval jelly/rust remover and it will take the blacking off. You might have to do a couple of applications to get it right. I don't know this, but it seems that Brownells and H&R/PSA get their stock at about the same time, so possibly/probably the same supplier.
The slip ring should be a lighter gray or at least not black, but here you're back to the often discussed 50 shades of gray that goes with anodizing. You can find original Colt slip rings, and there are some examples of H&R's slip rings that have the more widely accepted lighter shade.
You can also hit your black/darker gray LPK parts with the naval jelly, or at least the visible ends if you wanted to do that. And somebody somewhere at some time might take exception to a black ejection port door spring. I've seen some guys post about giving that the same treatment. I had a few bright springs in my spares so I just switched that out.
All part of the fun of cloning.
You have a good looking rifle, regardless. This one and your 177.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top