Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2021 7:02:55 AM EDT
So I am building a 12.5" pistol and I ran into trouble finding a hand guard for this size barrel.  I want to get a Midwest Industries 11.5 or 10.5 combat rail but they are out of stock for months.  I threw on a 12.5" HG I had laying around that didn't make its way onto my 16" build because I don't like the looks of it.  My question is does my muzzle device look OK only sticking out past the HG about 5/8" before the compensate holes?  It has a Strike Industries mini king comp on there and the holes are angled 45 degrees forwards and not just open at a 90 degree angle like others.  

I plan on going FDE with this build once I get all my parts.  I have an Aero FDE lower on the way, as well as a FDE Sba3.  My plan is to go FDE with the upper receiver, lower, Sba3, and just get some BCM MCMR FDE rail panels for the HG.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Just one more pic... everyone loves to see AR pistol pics!  
10.3" 5:56 1/8 416R BA and 12.5" 5:56 1/7 Rosco bloodline

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it'll be fine.

But you're gonna find out quickly when you shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Zero problem. Looks fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
OP,. That looks fine.

Looks like the vents/ports are all past the handguard. Thats all that really matters.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks/function. What is more important to you? If you have to use it to save your life, do you want pu, pu pu, or do you want to go OOOOO, it looks purdy right before it goes ''click'' and you are invited to a sucking chest wound party?

It looks fine, the more important thing is does it work fine?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks/function. What is more important to you? If you have to use it to save your life, do you want pu, pu pu, or do you want to go OOOOO, it looks purdy right before it goes ''click'' and you are invited to a sucking chest wound party?

It looks fine, the more important thing is does it work fine?
View Quote

It's just a handguard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as it doesn't make you look fat is the deal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like the vents/ports are all past the handguard. Thats all that really matters.
View Quote

This ^
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks good OP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
It's fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
it only blows apart if any vent holes are covered
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
You're fine.

10.3" barrel + 2.25" linear comp + crush washer = comp sits 1/16" proud of the 12" handguard.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys!  I haven't shot it yet and wanted to make sure everything looked OK first.  Its just a range toy that I put together with extra parts I had around from previous builds.  I actually ordered that HG a long time ago and was sent the wrong one!  The seller refunded half the money for it and I just threw it in the back of a closet.  The only HG Ive found that I like the looks of so far has been the Midwest Ind. combat rail or the G4 rail but they are both OOS everywhere.  MI had a 10.5 combat rail in stock 2 weeks ago and I snoozed and lost it.  Another member here said he contacted MI about the 11.5 rail for a build hes working on and they said they wouldn't be available until the end of the year!  This build started with an extra Aero upper, lower, BCG, and Sba3.  Then when Primary Arms had a sale on a Rosco 12.5 I couldn't resist since I have heard decent things about them and they are located not far from where I lived as a kid in Rhode Island.  The Rhode Island small company really sold me as you never hear about lil rhody.  Living in PA now I have come across people that don't even know its a state!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You're fine.

10.3" barrel + 2.25" linear comp + crush washer = comp sits 1/16" proud of the 12" handguard.
https://i.postimg.cc/QMqmQp64/20210124-091656.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3xXFhXH8/20210124-092540.jpg
View Quote

I have a forward comp on my 10.3 build but its a 9 1/4" HG.  I went with the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp as it isn't much bigger than a birdcage.  What type of HG is that you have?  I think that might look good for my FDE build if I got it cerakoted or left it black and covered it with some FDE BCM rail covers if they can be had!  I really love the look and grip of the BCM MCMR rail covers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As long as it doesn't make you look fat is the deal.
View Quote

I was hoping it made me look tacticool AND skinny!  I guess it wouldn't matter if I only use it to LARP around the house in my underwear with some dummy caps in the mag... lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You're fine.

View Quote
This certainly isn't something I would do, be careful of your support hand position.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have a forward comp on my 10.3 build but its a 9 1/4" HG.  I went with the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp as it isn't much bigger than a birdcage.  What type of HG is that you have?  I think that might look good for my FDE build if I got it cerakoted or left it black and covered it with some FDE BCM rail covers if they can be had!  I really love the look and grip of the BCM MCMR rail covers.
View Quote

https://www.unbrandedar.com/product-p/7048-0026-4101.htm
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This certainly isn't something I would do, be careful of your support hand position.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're fine.

I appreciate the concern, I will be careful.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
OP.  FWIW -  I actually like exactly what you did.  I have a Noveske build where 3/4 of the KX5 is under the rail NSR.  The last 2 builds I did have geissele rails almost flush with the barrel threads so the comp is basically the only think you see. I guess I never liked the look of long thin barrel sticking out ale the original CARs and its progeny.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks good to me, so does ColtSeavers.

Steve......
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP.  FWIW -  I actually like exactly what you did.  I have a Noveske build where 3/4 of the KX5 is under the rail NSR.  The last 2 builds I did have geissele rails almost flush with the barrel threads so the comp is basically the only think you see. I guess I never liked the look of long thin barrel sticking out ale the original CARs and its progeny.
View Quote

I have 2 16" builds that one has a 13.5" rail and the other has a 13" rail so there is some barrel sticking out obviously but I like that look on a longer barrel.  Ill have to admit that set-up has grown on me over the last week or so.  I am still going to replace that rail because its not great quality.  Originally I was going to get the Midwest rail but now I'm looking at other options.  I think I will stay around that 12.5" area seeing as how all my other guns have barrel sticking out, why not do something different?  I am considering an Aero atlas r one or maybe a quantum so I could run a can in the future.  Well now the hunt begins... most likely will end up with what I can find in stock.  

On a side note I have no idea whats going on but I am not getting notified of replies.  I hit the subscribe button and it says I am subscribed, and I don't get emails when I receive a message either sometimes.  Weird
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]

I didn't realize yours didn't have a pic rail all the way on top either.  I had to go back and look again and now I see it looks similar to the one I have.  That was the main reason I don't like mine, for no reason I just prefer the look of the pic rail running all the way.  I'm used to a thicker HG and when I grab the skinny lightweight HG it feels off, however it is growing on me and changing my mind.

Edit: I wish I ended up with the design yours is instead so I could cut it down a bit.  I thought about cutting mine but I have that design at the 2,5,7,and 9(close enough) o'clock position so I couldn't.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Getting there little by little.  The FDE lower will be delivered to my LGS tomorrow.  Just realized another reason to get a bigger HG is space for mlok attachments.  I can't put that BCM KAG any more forward than that because the gas block is there.  Unless I put it in the last slot up at the muzzle..
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#24]
It would look cooler if it was a flaming pig flash can where they do that for a small portion under the rail. I’d look for one of those
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It would look cooler if it was a flaming pig flash can where they do that for a small portion under the rail. I’d look for one of those
View Quote

My barrel threads end flush with the rail so it wouldn't look right.  That's the problem Ive been running into with a 12.5" barrel, either the handguard is too short or too long.  I would need like a 15" to make a can tuck correctly and that defeats the purpose of having a shorter barrel IMO.  I could go with a 13.5 and a shorter linear comp but I can't find a 13.5 I like in stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Thinking about going with this and the Aero Atlas R one 12.625 length.  That would cover the first 3/4" to 7/8" I think and leave a good 1 1/2" or so sticking out which I like.  I have yet to find anything else like this.  Most linear comps I see don't start getting large in diameter until after the barrel threads.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top