Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2021 12:23:03 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with these?  Vs. S&W?
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
After watching a video of someone disassembling one to clean it I wouldn’t use someone else’s money to buy one.   The AR-15 is like the Maytag washing machine of the gun world.   I really like the simple design of the Ciener/Atchisson/CMMG pattern of bolt for 22 conversions and dedicated uppers.

The Umarex HK 416 and AR-15 or Hamereli in 22 LR are made to resemble the centerfire firearms on the exterior.    Your restricted to sole source for parts whereas with the CMMG you have several options for parts.  You break a firing pin on a CMMG you have several sources, same for other bolt parts, barrels or magazines.   You can also use standard grips, hand guards, butt stocks, charging handles and other AR-15 accessories with the CMMG pattern.  

I’m not really a fan of the S&W M&P 15-22 but it is way better IMHO than the Hamerli.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After watching a video of someone disassembling one to clean it I wouldn’t use someone else’s money to buy one.   The AR-15 is like the Maytag washing machine of the gun world.   I really like the simple design of the Ciener/Atchisson/CMMG pattern of bolt for 22 conversions and dedicated uppers.

The Umarex HK 416 and AR-15 or Hamereli in 22 LR are made to resemble the centerfire firearms on the exterior.    Your restricted to sole source for parts whereas with the CMMG you have several options for parts.  You break a firing pin on a CMMG you have several sources, same for other bolt parts, barrels or magazines.   You can also use standard grips, hand guards, butt stocks, charging handles and other AR-15 accessories with the CMMG pattern.  

I’m not really a fan of the S&W M&P 15-22 but it is way better IMHO than the Hamerli.
View Quote

Thank you for your answer. I did not know about disassembling complications. I did watch a few videos and it seemed that the weak points were trigger pull was pretty heavy and the unknown about parts. Most people that had them like them but everybody seems to like the guns.  
I started off on the cmmg path but they are so backed up that it looked like at least six months before I could get either an upper or a complete gun. Their complete gun is $1,500 which makes no sense compared to buying a Colt AR for a thousand. Regardless it's a 6-month wait.  I explored building it but I was told pretty much the same thing that they was some parts that would be on backorder for quite some time and they could not give me a time frame. I really want a dedicated 22 and i dont want to have to use the lower of my Colt.  I actually would not mind buying another decent m4 and using the lower IF I could find a good upper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Right to Bear has the 16” pencil barrel and 22 LR conversion barrel in stock.  Depending on which hand guard you choose you could assemble a dedicated upper for around $500 or less.   No gas block or gas tube required since the 22 LR is blow back.   I used a RTB M-Lok hand guard on my 12” 6.5 Grendel pistol and I’ve been completely satisfied with it.

I use a 22 rimfire to duplicate the feel of the ergos of my centerfire AR-15’s and I just like the commonality between the dedicated upper and my Centerfire AR-15’s.  I have four dedicated 22 LR AR-15’s and each has it’s own lower.   If I need a lower for a centerfire upper I can use any of my rimfire lowers as each has a buffer and spring even though not required for the rimfire.  Assembling a rimfire 22 LR upper is easy if you have access to a bench vise.

https://www.righttobear.com/22lr-parts-upgrades-accessories/

Brownell’s has the CMMG heavy profile 16” barrel in stock which are reported to be pretty accurate barrels.  Right to Bear barrels are the CMMG pattern so the bolts/barrels from RTB will be interchangeable.  You don’t need the 22 specific charging handle but it is personal choice.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-22lr-barrel-16-1--prod84122.aspx
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Great info guys thanks much
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top