Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2018 1:56:20 PM EDT
I've got a sterling AR-180 that I took to the range after more than one year, possibly 2 years of safe storage.  After shooting, I noticed a harlin crack forming accross the top mid-section of the hand guards.  

How does the Retro experts suggest repairing or at least slowing the crack to prevent it getting worse without having to re-paint?

These are semi-gloss fiberglass resin of some sort -  I figured fiberglass patch from behind - I don't want to build up anything on the outside and repaint them - I'd rather have a hairline show than repaint the current finish.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
you can use a small drill bit and drill at hole where the crack ends, that will keep it from spreading in theory.  maybe use a black rtv silicone to fill the small hole after that, should have enough elasticity to allow it to cover and the crack to not spread.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics would help and I would probably try superglue. I can't say I have fixed any cracks in 180 Hand Guards before. I swap them out and use the broken ones for my shorty projects.

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with super glue also...

It would be hard to match the finish on the shiny 180 hand guards if you used fiber glass...

I have reworked AR-15/M-16 triangle hand guards that were really messed up with fiberglass cloth and resin but they got painted when finished...

The hand guards on Mr. Green here had broken teeth and were cracked they look like new now...

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest sending it to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works.  He has done some amazing work restoring AR furniture in much worse condition than yours.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Like stated we drilled small holes at the end of cracks to stop the from spreading at the body shop. I would then use some poly resin, dye it black to fill the hole and sanded crack. Then sand and refinish the area if you can find a match with the paint.

Or ...

John Thomas
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top