Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2021 9:57:45 PM EDT
Good Evening,

I just took a Haenal CR223 out shooting for the first time today. Began to have a stovepipe problem every couple rounds and I suspect this may be the issue, would there be any reason a rifle like this wouldn’t have gas rings in the bolt from the factory? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone must have called in and taken a covid day when the bolt carrier was assembled.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s what I’m thinking haha. I noticed it on my initial tear down of the rifle but when I got it the gun was still in the original packaging so I figured they sent it that way for a reason I’ll have to give B&T a call tomorrow and give them a heads up, but at least something I can fix easily on my own.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good Evening,

I just took a Haenal CR223 out shooting for the first time today. Began to have a stovepipe problem every couple rounds and I suspect this may be the issue, would there be any reason a rifle like this wouldn’t have gas rings in the bolt from the factory? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
View Quote
@Gutlocker

well, i don't know, but you posted in the piston section.  so ...

if it's a piston gun, they don't use gas rings because there's no gas tube and gas isn't routed to the inside of the carrier to the chamber at the bolt tail.  so since there's no gas in the carrier, there's no gas rings to seal the gas.  usually.

but I'm not familiar with the Haenal gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, have you looked online to compare your BCG to other Haenel CR223s?

I did a cursory search and found an image of the BCG and it appears the bolt has gas rings, but I'm not familiar with this rifle...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a little digging around but wasn’t able to find a picture of a disassembled bolt but that picture shows it, thank you! Will definitely see if B&T has anything to add tomorrow too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
PWS bolts don't have rings. The PWS bolt has no channel for rings. No need for a piston gun to have rings on the bolt.

Picture of your Haenel bolt?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP, have you looked online to compare your BCG to other Haenel CR223s?

I did a cursory search and found an image of the BCG and it appears the bolt has gas rings, but I'm not familiar with this rifle...

Attachment Attached File

View Quote
in the pic, not sure why dafuq that bolt has gas rings, totally unnecessary.  the "gas" key doesn't even have a gas passage, FFS.  retarded.

maybe at the time of the pic, they use the same bolt assembly for their DI guns and their piston guns?  do they even have DI guns?  I have no idea.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.kauppojenkauppa.fi/urheilutarvikkeet/haenel-cr223-gas-piston-rings-3kpl/p/36-36-102026/

I think those are for the short stroke piston.

AR 15 style HAENEL CR 223 cleaning

This video shows the bolt apart around 4-5 minutes into it. I don’t see any AR style gas rings on the bolt itself, only cut outs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
All, thank you for the responses so far. I am still waiting on B&T to get back to me as their armorer “has a backlog and needs to figure out how to disassemble the Haenal BCG.” Seems like it may not have come with/need the gas rings but the consistent stove pipe every 3 rounds concerns me even more. Was being shot with PMC 62 gr ammo and a YHM Turbo T2 Suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If Haneal copied the 416 design, there is no gas rings at the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
For anyone interested, found that the problem causing the stovepiping while running the Haenal suppressed was the factory buffer. As soon as I swapped in a generic H2 buffer it runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Its a piston gun!   gas comes out at piston under handguard
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
How do you like it now that it's running? Found the older version (KeyMo) for $2200 and wondering if it's worth considering.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For anyone interested, found that the problem causing the stovepiping while running the Haenal suppressed was the factory buffer. As soon as I swapped in a generic H2 buffer it runs perfectly.
View Quote

Shouldn't the factory buffer work anyway though? These are self regulated guns. Shouldn't have to change anything.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey IPMan, I love the gun. I have some LWRC guns in various lengths and I can say the the recoil/gas to the face is just as good or better (from what I understand the gas block is vented from the factory). I very much think the purchase was worth it. B&T was on standby if it continued to have extraction/feeding issues and while having to take the factory buffer out to make it work with my suppressors was a little disappointing, it’s a great gun overall and got many compliments from friends who shot it. The trigger is also very impressive for a factory unit. Any other questions let me know!
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey IPMan, I love the gun. I have some LWRC guns in various lengths and I can say the the recoil/gas to the face is just as good or better (from what I understand the gas block is vented from the factory). I very much think the purchase was worth it. B&T was on standby if it continued to have extraction/feeding issues and while having to take the factory buffer out to make it work with my suppressors was a little disappointing, it’s a great gun overall and got many compliments from friends who shot it. The trigger is also very impressive for a factory unit. Any other questions let me know!
View Quote

Hey, thanks for the insights! Based on your thoughts I'll keep it in the running as I try to choose which 12" piston gun to get.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't buy a gun from a place whose armorer couldn't disassemble an AR BCG, piston or otherwise.

Short or long stroke piston guns need no gas rings on the bolt. Wolf A1 doesn't even have the slot in the bolt for rings.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How do you like it now that it's running? Found the older version (KeyMo) for $2200 and wondering if it's worth considering.
View Quote

I got mine for that price.
Keymod no issue for me.
Really Cool gun.
Buy, you won't regret.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Why no chrome lined barrel with these?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Why would gas rings on the bolt matter on a piston gun?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]
They shouldnt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#22]
My CR223 with the m-lok rails do not come with a gas ring on the bolt. It doesn't need it to function.

My CR223 runs flawlessly using M193 ammo. I haven't really tried anything else but it runs great.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy a gun from a place whose armorer couldn't disassemble an AR BCG, piston or otherwise.

Short or long stroke piston guns need no gas rings on the bolt. Wolf A1 doesn't even have the slot in the bolt for rings.
View Quote

Keep in mind B&T is just the importer. They don't know anything about the gun other than they put some finishing touches to it to make it "legal." I shot some emails over to B&T about my Haenel and haven't heard back. All I can say is they suck as a company. I really like my CR223 but if I ever had to buy a specific B&T product, I wouldn't buy it nor recommend it due to my experience with their customer service and the fact they don't know what they're importing. I wonder if anyone at B&T speaks German? From what I understand B&T wanted the m-lok rails with the fully ambi lower. Instead they got a first batch of keymods that wasn't fully ambi then they finally got the right m-lok one that seems to have an entirely different barrel with it too.

Also keep in mind the CR223 is like the Titan Defense of Germany. They make cheap clones of the HK brands and sell them cheap. The increased cost is because B&T has to import it to the USA so you pay some overhead cost. If we all lived in Germany, and assuming their firearms laws allow us to buy these, we could be buying them by the dozens.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top