BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2020 11:45:52 PM EDT
OK....I'm a complete dork when it comes to piston guns.  I know jack s%#t about them.  I plan on picking one up next week.  Either the MR556 competition or the LMT MRP piston.  Both are new old stock on clearance.

How do they compare?  I like the fact that the LMT can be swapped over to a DI system with a new barrel and bcg.  While I love me some HK stuff, the MR556 comp is a heavy pig with a proprietary rail, a mag well that won't take my pmags and a $$ spare parts.

How do the piston systems compare?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lousy pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
LWRC is better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think that significant consideration should be given to what are you going to use the rifle for?  The HK piston design is thoroughly proven over many years of service in governmental/military units around the world.  The LMT piston system is not.  Consider that when New Zealand selected LMT as its service rifle, they chose the DI version instead of piston.  So if you are going to use this rifle in an actual duty capacity of some sort, then you might want to consider HK first.  You mentioned the weight of the HK as a drawback.  Yes, it is heavy, but so is the LMT.  Neither are lightweight rifles.

The ability of the LMT to easily switch barrels and operating systems is a nice feature for some, but I think it also shows that LMT's piston system is a compromise that I have read LMT never really wanted to do, but made a business decision to offer it.  As we have discussed in another thread, whatever you may think of piston operating systems, the HK is clearly the "standard" for piston operated ARs.  I have great respect for LMT, but if I were choosing between the two, it would be the HK MR556.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK....I'm a complete dork when it comes to piston guns.  I know jack s%#t about them.  I plan on picking one up next week.  Either the MR556 competition or the LMT MRP piston.  Both are new old stock on clearance.

How do they compare?  I like the fact that the LMT can be swapped over to a DI system with a new barrel and bcg.  While I love me some HK stuff, the MR556 comp is a heavy pig with a proprietary rail, a mag well that won't take my pmags and a $$ spare parts.

Thanks!
View Quote
Both are good system, and variants of each have been and are used down range.

The LMT is more flexible, the HK will probably retain value a little better.

I know a lot of the HK fans hate the MR556 Barrel, for various reasons ranging from profile to lining.  For range use, especially if you are not shooting corrosive ammo. both are good, personally I am a big fan of LMT
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I read your post.  Both those rifles are on clearance, locally I presume.

Between the choices presented, HK.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
PWS is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
My choices locally are the LMT and HK.  I missed out on a nice lightly used LWRC but other than that, I don't see them around here.

Usage?  Range, some type of competition locally.  Boogaloo if it really happens?

I have a bunch of DI guns...Colt/Colt base,DD and PSA.  I'm looking for something different and a bit higher end.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know a lot of the HK fans hate the MR556 Barrel, for various reasons ranging from profile to lining.  For range use, especially if you are not shooting corrosive ammo. both are good, personally I am a big fan of LMT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Can you explain why you are a big LMT fan?  Just an LMT fan in general or the piston system in particular?  LMT makes great rifles.  The LMT piston is on sale for not much more than the standard MRP.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you explain why you are a big LMT fan?  Just an LMT fan in general or the piston system in particular?  LMT makes great rifles.  The LMT piston is on sale for not much more than the standard MRP.
View Quote
A few reasons,

LMT makes incredibly robust guns. From the Enhanced BCG's(DI) to the 7075 Forged Chassis, they are just tanks.
They will see you exactly what they sell the military, minus FA.
They gave the middle finger to Illinois and moved to Iowa
They actually support there platform by offering the customer a decent range of barrel/caliber options.
If you keep an eye on their social media accounts you can get some pretty good deals on spare barrels and other stuff

Most importantly, Because you can actually set up the weapon how you want it.  maybe you want to run a 12.5 piston, or maybe a 10.5 300BO, or 16.5 mid length DI,  you have those options with LMT.

Right now i have a railed MRP CQB chassis with a 10.5 that i have run supressed for a long time and really enjoy shooting,  I also have a MLC rifle Chassis that I have a 16 inch mid length that is really nice to shoot as well.

Despite LMT's being a littler heavier, and being somewhat limited to factory barrels, their guns just work,

Piston guns do nothing for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would think that significant consideration should be given to what are you going to use the rifle for?  The HK piston design is thoroughly proven over many years of service in governmental/military units around the world.  The LMT piston system is not.  Consider that when New Zealand selected LMT as its service rifle, they chose the DI version instead of piston.  So if you are going to use this rifle in an actual duty capacity of some sort, then you might want to consider HK first.  You mentioned the weight of the HK as a drawback.  Yes, it is heavy, but so is the LMT.  Neither are lightweight rifles.
View Quote
If you are looking for a actual 'duty rifle' then the LMT is the way to go. Not the MR556. The MR556 is a compromise and a consumer driven bench gun. Not a duty gun. If OP was talking about a legit HK416 then things would be different.

Consider that when Estonia Armed forces were selecting a new 5.56 combat rifle and 7.62x51 DMR rifle, the LMT piston MARS-L CQBPS  and piston CQBMWS beat out the HK 416 and 417. So if looking at military trials is important to you or OP, then that needs to be considered. I know of zero military contracts for the HK MR556.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#10]
With the LMT piston...make sure that the bolt carrier is the updated, chromed carrier...if it is a phospated BCG...the piston key is pretty soft...I am sure LMT would replace it...but just be aware.

HK MR556 barrels don't last very long...they have been documented many times that they start keyholing like under 10K fired...just something to be aware of....you can mitigate this by having the barrel nitrided byIGF but you wont see your barrel for a long time...he is backed up last time I heard.

Between those two though...I'd take the LMT...but if you can get your hands on a PWS PRO (under $1K new)...its one heck of a piston gun and it is my go-to AR right now. The PWS PRO has a very robust handguard/barrel attachment method...really like that..while being a long stroke system...
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 10K keyholing was with a full auto rental gun at BF Vegas, and folks have reported that proper cleaning of the factory unlined barrel is a definite must for higher round counts.

Also... "no" to IGF... I've heard they did good work in the past, never used them personally, but:

https://www.baxtercountysheriff.com/press_view.php?id=2034

That being said, Tom Bostic and others can and do great HK barrel work, including nitriding.

I generally like LMT, but in terms of the piston systems themselves, I would go HK over LMT, I like LMT a lot, and use a lot of their products, but between the two piston systems specifically, it's a fairly tough sell for me to recommend too many other systems over the HK from a technical standpoint--however, that's not an inexpensive path to go down, and the MR556 Competition is probably the worst "out of the box" configuration for a piston "fighting gun" out there. The upside is that it's not that hard to fix, the downside is that it's not inexpensive to do, and will require at least some wait time.

IMHO the MR556, especially if you get it at a good price, can be made into a great duty gun, but it's sorely in need of barrel cut down/reprofile and nitriding from the factory, and a new handguard if you're getting a Competition model.

I've got a couple 416s, and had some others in the past, including cut down MR556 uppers, and my current 14.5" upper is a cut down MR556 and I've got no complaints with it. The reality is that either will likely serve you well, and to a certain extent the real "meat" of the decision is honestly probably just which one you like better.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK MR556 barrels don't last very long...they have been documented many times that they start keyholing like under 10K fired...just something to be aware of....you can mitigate this by having the barrel nitrided byIGF but you wont see your barrel for a long time...he is backed up last time I heard.
The 10K keyholing was with a full auto rental gun at BF Vegas, and folks have reported that proper cleaning of the factory unlined barrel is a definite must for higher round counts.

Also... "no" to IGF... I've heard they did good work in the past, never used them personally, but:

That being said, Tom Bostic and others can and do great HK barrel work, including nitriding.

I generally like LMT, but in terms of the piston systems themselves, I would go HK over LMT, I like LMT a lot, and use a lot of their products, but between the two piston systems specifically, it's a fairly tough sell for me to recommend too many other systems over the HK from a technical standpoint--however, that's not an inexpensive path to go down, and the MR556 Competition is probably the worst "out of the box" configuration for a piston "fighting gun" out there. The upside is that it's not that hard to fix, the downside is that it's not inexpensive to do, and will require at least some wait time.

IMHO the MR556, especially if you get it at a good price, can be made into a great duty gun, but it's sorely in need of barrel cut down/reprofile and nitriding from the factory, and a new handguard if you're getting a Competition model.

I've got a couple 416s, and had some others in the past, including cut down MR556 uppers, and my current 14.5" upper is a cut down MR556 and I've got no complaints with it. The reality is that either will likely serve you well, and to a certain extent the real "meat" of the decision is honestly probably just which one you like better.

~Augee
I don't own a HK416 but I do have a Sig 516 that is the closest I have to a 416. Honestly, my PWS rifles are significantly better than my 516. Lighter. Handles better. More accurate. Less recoil. Smoother shooting. Better piston operating system design. 416 is the grandfather in many ways of the piston AR world. Battle proven. It's been there and done that. I get that. But strictly speaking from my experience of a 516 (which some say is an improved 416) I'd rather take a long stroke piston PWS over it. Better gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A few reasons,

LMT makes incredibly robust guns. From the Enhanced BCG's(DI) to the 7075 Forged Chassis, they are just tanks.
They actually support there platform by offering the customer a decent range of barrel/caliber options.
If you keep an eye on their social media accounts you can get some pretty good deals on spare barrels and other stuff

Most importantly, Because you can actually set up the weapon how you want it.  maybe you want to run a 12.5 piston, or maybe a 10.5 300BO, or 16.5 mid length DI,  you have those options with LMT.

Right now i have a railed MRP CQB chassis with a 10.5 that i have run supressed for a long time and really enjoy shooting,  I also have a MLC rifle Chassis that I have a 16 inch mid length that is really nice to shoot as well.

Despite LMT's being a littler heavier, and being somewhat limited to factory barrels, their guns just work,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few reasons,

Thanks for your response.  They have a couple at the LGS...I should bone up on what the enhanced BCG looks like.  If the LMT have the enhanced bolt it might be a better option.  $500 cheaper too.  I've had the LMT M4gery....very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Augee,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  That took some time to write out and I appreciate it.  There is a lot to think about.  I went through the AWB.  Parts were available but if the dems get another one passed that might be an issue.

There is something to be said for a military contractor and parts availability.  Beretta mags were easy to come by during the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That being said, earlier this year DPMS and Bushmaster both shuttered their doors. Blame it on Cerberus, Remington, whatever. And maybe it'd been a long time, if ever, that either of those companies were "on the top," but what you can't deny is that they were once huge power players in the AR market at large. And now they're gone.

Logistics is not necessarily something that concerns everyone, but they're certainly something that concerns me, so when it comes to critical operating components, long term availability is absolutely something that's meaningful to me. And I recognize that if everyone thought like I do about these things, there would potentially be a lot less innovation, because no one would want to take a chance on anything without the full force of military adoption behind it, I get it. Some people just like to try cool new guns, and I'm all about it, and we all benefit from their feedback and experiences.

But for me, the bullet launcher is kinda just that, and all it really needs to do is work. Optics and other force multipliers, etc., I'm obviously much more willing to try new things (wouldn't be very useful in product development if not ), so I'm not against novelty and/or innovation, etc., either at all.
View Quote
I get your sense of concern regarding 'proprietary parts' and a company potentially going out of business. I can't speak for everyone else on this forum, but for me I know that I branched out into piston ARs because I have plenty of DI AR15s and wanted something different in the collection. I am sure there are many other guys like me. So it isn't as if I (or anyone is recommending) someone to go all in on a piston AR with all proprietary parts from a manufacturer. Get your standard DI AR15. Get a few of different setups before even looking at piston ARs imo. One is none and two is one and all that.

LMT has been making ARs for 40 years. I don't see them going out of business any time soon. Not to mention their recent run of success in getting large scale government contracts.

LWRC is 21 years old.
PWS is 15 years old.

Are those guys small time and at risk for all of a sudden disappearing? I guess anything is possible in this industry.  LWRC has several large government contracts for the LWRC M6. PWS doesn't have any international/military contracts that I know of, but I do know that they do supply quite a few PD and their SWAT teams. Like I said anything can happen, but PWS is here to stay. They do enough OEM machining for other manufactures that I am sure they will be fine for a long time. Not to mention, PWS has a hard enough time keeping up with demand for their products as is. That's a good sign. You don't see their stuff sitting and sitting and then having to get blown out on massive discounts just to move it. Frequently there is a backorder on many of their rifles/uppers/lowers. Thats a good thing in many ways.

I get your concern about critical components but much of that is overblown by our community. Buy what you like now from reputable companies that are putting out good products and are successful. Ignore the fly by night shops that might not last. If you are worried about critical components, order spares of those parts to keep your gun running into the future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I get your sense of concern regarding 'proprietary parts' and a company potentially going out of business. I can't speak for everyone else on this forum, but for me I know that I branched out into piston ARs because I have plenty of DI AR15s and wanted something different in the collection. I am sure there are many other guys like me. So it isn't as if I (or anyone is recommending) someone to go all in on a piston AR with all proprietary parts from a manufacturer. Get your standard DI AR15. Get a few of different setups before even looking at piston ARs imo. One is none and two is one and all that.

LMT has been making ARs for 40 years. I don't see them going out of business any time soon. Not to mention their recent run of success in getting large scale government contracts.

LWRC is 21 years old.
PWS is 15 years old.

Are those guys small time and at risk for all of a sudden disappearing? I guess anything is possible in this industry.  LWRC has several large government contracts for the LWRC M6. PWS doesn't have any international/military contracts that I know of, but I do know that they do supply quite a few PD and their SWAT teams. Like I said anything can happen, but PWS is here to stay. They do enough OEM machining for other manufactures that I am sure they will be fine for a long time. Not to mention, PWS has a hard enough time keeping up with demand for their products as is. That's a good sign. You don't see their stuff sitting and sitting and then having to get blown out on massive discounts just to move it. Frequently there is a backorder on many of their rifles/uppers/lowers. Thats a good thing in many ways.

I get your concern about critical components but much of that is overblown by our community. Buy what you like now from reputable companies that are putting out good products and are successful. Ignore the fly by night shops that might not last. If you are worried about critical components, order spares of those parts to keep your gun running into the future.
View Quote
Here is my concern about companies like PWS.  They are a small company making a unique proprietary rifle.  BATF publishes the statistics for the manufacture of firearms in the USA for each year.  The latest year for which data is available is 2018.  According to BATF, PWS produced 2,374 rifles in 2018.  In 2017 PWS produced 1,017 rifles.  As I understand the statistics, this would include rifles produced under contract for other brands (if any) as well as individual lowers (classified as rifle by BATF).  LMT and Knight's produced even fewer;  LMT at 1,572 and Knight's at 882 for 2018.  Granted that these companies also produce other items sold to the public and governmental entities as additional sources of revenue.

What the reality of this is that most AR manufacturers are not large companies, and therefore the financial stability of each can vary wildly.  There are a few "giant" manufacturers in the USA:  S&W, Ruger and Sig.  Other brands are not so big.  If I am buying something who's manufacturer is a small operator, then I accept the risk they may not be around for the long term.  So a common "in the public domain" design is preferable.  I don't think HK is  about to go out of business (although we regularly read stories of their financial shakiness, a la Colt).  One reason I like the 516 is that Sig, using one of the main designers of the 416 (hired away from HK) made a concerted effort to do away with as many proprietary parts as possible, and they did a pretty good job of it.  The 516 will run using LWRCI and LMT bolt carrier groups, and most parts on the rifle are standard AR parts.  IMHO the 516 is about as safe a choice for an AR style piston rifle as you can make.  Of course Sig is now all in on its MCX (I just bought one) and it is as proprietary as all get out.  But it is a nice system (so far).  Hopefully they will continue to support the 516 (in private conversations they have assure me that they will and that the 516 is going to remain an option for military/law enforcement use).

I'm rambling here, sorry.  I guess the point is that unique designs, even though seemingly well thought, aren't always the best choice for long term use and survivability.  And, that even the most established companies can disappear depending on the whims of the market and the business decisions they make. Having grown up in the marine industry, just contrast the success of Mercury Marine vs the disappearance of OMC (Evinrude/Johnson).
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote
That sucks about IGF...he did awesome work back in the day...but I guess his success got to him...this explains probably why there was such a long time. Tommy is the MAN when it comes to HK.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here is my concern about companies like PWS.  They are a small company making a unique proprietary rifle.  BATF publishes the statistics for the manufacture of firearms in the USA for each year.  The latest year for which data is available is 2018.  According to BATF, PWS produced 2,374 rifles in 2018.  In 2017 PWS produced 1,017 rifles.  As I understand the statistics, this would include rifles produced under contract for other brands (if any) as well as individual lowers (classified as rifle by BATF).  LMT and Knight's produced even fewer;  LMT at 1,572 and Knight's at 882 for 2018.  Granted that these companies also produce other items sold to the public and governmental entities as additional sources of revenue.

What the reality of this is that most AR manufacturers are not large companies, and therefore the financial stability of each can vary wildly.  There are a few "giant" manufacturers in the USA:  S&W, Ruger and Sig.  Other brands are not so big.  If I am buying something who's manufacturer is a small operator, then I accept the risk they may not be around for the long term.  So a common "in the public domain" design is preferable.  I don't think HK is  about to go out of business (although we regularly read stories of their financial shakiness, a la Colt).  One reason I like the 516 is that Sig, using one of the main designers of the 416 (hired away from HK) made a concerted effort to do away with as many proprietary parts as possible, and they did a pretty good job of it.  The 516 will run using LWRCI and LMT bolt carrier groups, and most parts on the rifle are standard AR parts.  IMHO the 516 is about as safe a choice for an AR style piston rifle as you can make.  Of course Sig is now all in on its MCX (I just bought one) and it is as proprietary as all get out.  But it is a nice system (so far).  Hopefully they will continue to support the 516 (in private conversations they have assure me that they will and that the 516 is going to remain an option for military/law enforcement use).

Just look at history...most firearms companies do not make it passed 10 years or so...I wouldnt worry about PWS, LWRC, LMT or KAC...legislation will kill off these companies faster than our demand for their products.

I'm rambling here, sorry.  I guess the point is that unique designs, even though seemingly well thought, aren't always the best choice for long term use and survivability.  And, that even the most established companies can disappear depending on the whims of the market and the business decisions they make. Having grown up in the marine industry, just contrast the success of Mercury Marine vs the disappearance of OMC (Evinrude/Johnson).
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly you'll probably never have a problem with either. The MR is more annoying I suppose because of the ways it's not a 416 but it's a good gun by itself for what it was intended to be used as (a super-accurate bench rifle).
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I came to the realization my rifles are 90% toy 10% self defense / big igloo.

I own a few MR556s because they look awesome and couldn’t justify an extra $3k for a “416”.

Are there better rifles out there than the mr556? Yup.  Sexier rifles than my 10.4 or IAR clone? Not many.

My point is if this is a serious duty gun a 11.5 DI gun will probs do you better than either wiz-bang piston.  If it’s not for duty get the cool choice, MR556/416.  Send barrel to ADCO then nitride & you’ve got 99.9% of a 416 for 33% of the cost.

Mary Kondo- pick whichever brings you more joy
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
for me I came to the realization my rifles are 90% toy 10% self defense / big igloo.

I own a few MR556s because they look awesome and couldn't justify an extra $3k for a "416".

Are there better rifles out there than the mr556? Yup.  Sexier rifles than my 10.4 or IAR clone? Not many.

My point is if this is a serious duty gun a 11.5 DI gun will probs do you better than either wiz-bang piston.  If it's not for duty get the cool choice, MR556/416.  Send barrel to ADCO then nitride & you've got 99.9% of a 416 for 33% of the cost.

Mary Kondo- pick whichever brings you more joy
View Quote
You're not helping me say no to the HK.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:54:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You know good and well that that's not what this forum about.

By the time this thread is done, you're going to end up getting both the LMT and the HK.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not helping me say no to the HK.
You know good and well that that's not what this forum about.

By the time this thread is done, you're going to end up getting both the LMT and the HK.

~Augee
.  I still need NV and the right laser.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry, I disagree.

They may not have been the "hip" companies anymore, but Bushmaster and DPMS? Quality Parts of Windham, Maine was one of the very first commercial manufacturers of AR parts and components.

Sure, Windham Weaponry, whatever, the "Company Guidon," so to speak, went with Remington, and now it's dead. Again, blame it on whatever you want, but those were big companies with a lot of market share in their heydays. They may have been in decline (that's usually how it works), but the number of rifles that even a one of those companies made at their height would probably knock the shit out of all four of those companies combined in terms of rifle production at least.

But even among those, KAC and LMT still have several viable military contracts that make them a little bit more stable and secure. LWRCi is probably kept more alive by MATECH BUIS than they'd probably like to admit.

Even in that company, PWS is the odd man out, and the most proprietary of them all (honestly not sure how or why KAC got thrown into this mix, as they don't build a piston, but that's neither here nor there). What's to say they, or honestly, any of them, couldn't one day get bought out by a capital management company that mismanages them into the ground?

Like I said in my earlier post--

That's just my reasoning, and I fully understand that it's not going to apply to everyone else the same way, and even acknowledged that if everyone thought like I did, it would stiffle innovation in the marketplace at large.

The industry and the market need people who like new and unusual things and are willing to take the risks on them--it's just not me. I just want a proven gun that I don't have to worry about or think too hard about and that will always run, and the neigh legendary ability of the 416 to take neglect and abuse coupled with a strong track record of combat service and organizational use when properly configured fits that bill pretty well for me.

~Augee
View Quote
Yes, Bushmaster and DPMS rifles are in a LOT of people's hands. A LOT. Their older stuff is good to go...I wouldn't buy a Bushmaster now...

But I agree...pedigree of a weapon does matter...hence why my go-to rifle will always be the Tavor SAR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Cant speak for the LWRC, but my LMT pistons are just great, not one issue, reliable as the sun rise.

As mentioned in the post above, LMT has been making rifles for a long time and their CS is known to be very good.

I can't say enough about my LMT rifles, piston and DI.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/7D4BE9F8-ECF7-4910-B0EA-DAF69EF883BF-1287162.jpg

My one HK416 and two complete spare parts kits.

~Augee
View Quote
While you might think it is 'crazy' to invest in PWS rifles because they are small time and you are worried about proprietary parts. It seems a little 'crazy' to invest that much in a proprietary HK416 with the extreme costs of replacement parts and now that HK will be moving away from the HK416 to the HK433 now. Even the SOCOM/JSOC units are moving away from HK416 and towards the MCX and other options. But hey, if you like it that is all the matters.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I switched over my Colt M16A1 and Colt 6920 to Sig 516 upper receivers. I didn't like the skeletonized Sig bolt carriers so I bought LWRCi piston bolt carriers. Both are reliable and shoot without any malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
While you might think it is 'crazy' to invest in PWS rifles because they are small time and you are worried about proprietary parts. It seems a little 'crazy' to invest that much in a proprietary HK416 with the extreme costs of replacement parts and now that HK will be moving away from the HK416 to the HK433 now. Even the SOCOM/JSOC units are moving away from HK416 and towards the MCX and other options. But hey, if you like it that is all the matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/7D4BE9F8-ECF7-4910-B0EA-DAF69EF883BF-1287162.jpg

My one HK416 and two complete spare parts kits.

~Augee
Marines are still utilizing the HK416 pattern rifle via the M27. HK also still maintains numerous contracts for the HK416 across Europe (French military being a more recent adopter) and maintains various US LEO contracts.

HK will not stop making parts for the HK416 for a very long time from now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I never said “crazy,” man. I said it’s not for me, I explained why, and I acknowledged that those reasons might not apply to others, and told the OP to get what he likes, and then I told him to get both.

Nor did I ever say that the HK was the best gun out there—just that it works for me and why.

PWS wasn’t even a part of this thread until someone else brought it up when the OP said that his choices were between LMT and HK, and now seem committed to dying on this hill that no one else is fighting over.

If you hadn’t noticed, logistics is kind of important to me, so once I commit to a platform, I start collecting spare parts like a squirrel on Adderall a week before the frost, and we all know what happens to spare parts, hence the joke.

Finally, your crystal ball is cracked. You might want to get it repaired.

...if you can find spare parts.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never said “crazy,” man. I said it’s not for me, I explained why, and I acknowledged that those reasons might not apply to others, and told the OP to get what he likes, and then I told him to get both.

Nor did I ever say that the HK was the best gun out there—just that it works for me and why.

PWS wasn’t even a part of this thread until someone else brought it up when the OP said that his choices were between LMT and HK, and now seem committed to dying on this hill that no one else is fighting over.

If you hadn’t noticed, logistics is kind of important to me, so once I commit to a platform, I start collecting spare parts like a squirrel on Adderall a week before the frost, and we all know what happens to spare parts, hence the joke.

Finally, your crystal ball is cracked. You might want to get it repaired.

...if you can find spare parts.

~Augee
And just like you are a squirrel on adder all trying to collect spare parts for an HK416, someone can do the same exact thing for a LMT piston. Or the exact same thing for a PWS piston. Or a LWRC. So it isn't like somehow what you are doing for the HK can't be duplicated on other piston ARs.

So the whole thing about 'logistics' goes out the window tbh. Heck, probably makes more sense to buy an American made piston AR if you are worried about spare parts in that you won't need to worry about any potential import bands that some future president might enact with an EO regarding importing of firearms or parts. Logistics of a home based manufacturer makes more sense than relying on one overseas, wouldn't you say?

Much easier to find spare parts in your backyard.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can do whatever you like my dude, and you can buy, own, and shoot whatever you want. It’s not like I said your dog was ugly.

The fact that I choose to build up my own supply stockpiles has nothing to do with the validity of considering long term production, product support, and parts availability when it comes to initially selecting a particular weapon system or not—if that kind of thing concerns you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You can do whatever you like my dude, and you can buy, own, and shoot whatever you want. It’s not like I said your dog was ugly.

The fact that I choose to build up my own supply stockpiles has nothing to do with the validity of considering long term production, product support, and parts availability when it comes to initially selecting a particular weapon system or not—if that kind of thing concerns you.
Again you fail to realize what this discussion has turned into. Previously above the conversation was brought up about PWS. I wasn't the first poster that mentioned that, another member did. But you then went into a diatribe post about logistics. Below is the direct quote by you:

"Logistics is not necessarily something that concerns everyone, but they're certainly something that concerns me, so when it comes to critical operating components, long term availability is absolutely something that's meaningful to me. And I recognize that if everyone thought like I do about these things, there would potentially be a lot less innovation, because no one would want to take a chance on anything without the full force of military adoption behind it, I get it."

Nobody is disagreeing with you on that. The HK416 is just as proprietary as other piston ARs. But just as you are stashing/squirreling away spare parts and spare setups for your HK416s, the same exact thing can be done by owners of LWRC, LMT, PWS, POF, Sig, and T91 uppers and rifles. So what you are doing isn't something special or exclusive to what you can or are doing. So that doesn't make the HK any better of an option over others. Be your own armorer and spare parts holder for something that is proprietary. LMT has been in this AR business for much longer than HK has. HK has done a one off piston AR. They aren't invested in the American rifle market like LMT and others like LWRC, PWS, POF are. As proven by HK's new wonder 5.56 rifle being the HK433. They have left the AR rifle design as a one off.

So LMT isn't going anywhere. They have been here for 40 years making AR rifles. They will be here for a long time. Any concern about that can be done just as you have done, stash away spare parts as needed.

Quoted:
If not, no big deal either. Still not sure what point you’re trying to make or why. If you don’t like the 416, or like something else better, or don’t agree with my reasoning, or don’t think it’s an important consideration, no one is forcing you or trying to convince you to buy something you don’t want.

You keep contorting yourself to try to find some sort of “flaw” in the argument so that you can have some cathartic moment of vindication that no one else will care about, when you could simply say “not my jam, I think my gun is better,” and I’d’ve said: “cool deal, truck on.”
I don't have anything against the HK416. I think it is a well proven platform and a good one for what it does. But I think there are newer platforms that are more improved upon what HK has designed.

But again, not sure why the HK416 has been brought up into this discussion as OP didn't even bring the 416 up as an option. The discussion is the LMT piston vs. MR556. As such, the LMT piston is what I would recommend as it isn't a compromise in design for what you get for your money. Unless OP is some HK die hard fan, which it doesn't sound like, then I would steer him towards the LMT and what that platform has to offer.

Quoted:
Meanwhile, your information is wrong again. HK is building rifles in the U.S., and there are also aftermarket sources for components, which on the one hand may not be of the same level of quality, but speaks to the level of support and saturation the platform has in the marketplace.

Again, it may not be important to you, and that’s okay. But it’s probably something that would at least be worth being aware of if you were trying to decide between two different systems, whether or not it’s the deciding factor, no?

~Augee
I never said that HK isn't building rifles in the USA. But please show me where HK USA is making HK416 rifles and uppers for the civilian market.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#37]
The CAR816 is what you seek

And to think I almost sold mine. Like the HK and LMT, they’re actually NATO tested. Honesty though, PWS is probably my favorite SHTF piston 556 rifle. MUCH lighter than the other options, no proprietary parts that wear out, super reliable, super accurate, will last 30,000+ rounds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First, @firedog51d my apologies for what this has turned into... hahaha

Oy. Where to begin?

You brought up the HK416 first, not to mention military contracts as a rationale for choosing one over the other:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
First, @firedog51d my apologies for what this has turned into... hahaha

Oy. Where to begin?

You brought up the HK416 first, not to mention military contracts as a rationale for choosing one over the other:
That is incorrect. You brought up the HK416 first into this thread. Check out your post you posted on 2/19/2020 @ 2:11:32 PM EST. You are the first one to bring the HK416 into a LMT vs. MR556 discussion.

I was not the first that brought up military contracts. That was kyjd75 on 2/19/2020 @ 5:03:44 AM EST.

If you are going to have an academic and honest conversation in a tech forum, at least be honest about when and who has posted what.

Quoted:
My first post was then to state the simple fact that the MR556 is not that different from the 416 minus barrel profile and chrome lining/corrosion treatment, both of which can be solved by a simple trip to a smith, but not to use a guy who has recently been in trouble with the law among other things. Are there some other minor differences (BCG without the auto sear trip and lack of sear clearance cut on upper), sure. But the MR556 is 99% HK416, and the one difference of any substance is not that difficult to change.
I wouldn't agree that a MR556 is 99% of a true HK416.

Barrel profile differences
MR556 no chrome line, HK416 does
MR556 gas block is different than the HK416
HK416 A5 has ambi-lower receiver, MR556 does not
MR556 has the barrel extension tab + slot on carrier
MR556 carrier does not have OTB design (not sure if this has been changed since I look into a MR556)
HK416 full auto FCG vs. MR556 2 stage trigger
MR556 proprietary take down pins vs. HK416 using standard M4/AR take down pins

Just became some female goes and gets plastic surgery. Some botox injection in her lips and some botox into her butt/butt lift, doesn't all of a sudden make her a Kim Kardashian. At the end of the day, buying a MR556 and sending it off to Jayson @ IGF, TSC Machine, TPM Outfitters or whoever the flavor of the day is, still doesn't make an MR556 a HK 416. It is still a MR556 that has been fancied up.

Quoted:
Your next post was to say (paraphrased) "well I don't have one, but the PWS is a better gun."

To which I said fine, but there are other considerations in terms of long term support of the platform, and that companies sometimes go away.
I never even talked about the HK416 directly. I spoke about my experience with my Sig 516 which is also designed and engineered by Robert Hirt. Just like the HK416 was. So you incorrectly quoted me if you think I was comparing the PWS piston system to the HK416, I didn't. It was comparing the PWS long stroke system to the 516. The PWS system is significantly better than the Sig in many ways from my experience. As I noted above.

"Honestly, my PWS rifles are significantly better than my 516. Lighter. Handles better. More accurate. Less recoil. Smoother shooting. Better piston operating system design."

Again, I plainly stated "I'd rather take a long stroke piston PWS over it" with it = my short stroke Sig 516. PWS is just a better piston design than the short stroke piston AR.

Quoted:
See, here's the thing, three complete rifles didn't magically appear out of thin air when I decided on the platform, it took a few years to get to that point. So when you're buying a new gun for the first time, it's still worth considering what parts availability is going to be into the future. I chose the platform in part because I knew I could continue to support it. I collected more not just because of logistics, but because I really like the gun and ended up buying more--this is a thing that happens.
Just as you collect more and more spare parts for logistics, can also be done for someone that wants to go with a LMT piston, or LWRC, or PWS, or POF or whatever else. You aren't alone in that ability with your MR556 setups.

Quoted:
Okay, so you didn't like that answer.
I don't have an issue with your answer or reply. I am just stating the fact that your concern about future parts availability and stashing spare parts for logistics for your MR556 can also be done for the LMT, PWS, LWRC, POF. It isn't only unique to your MR556 having that ability.

Quoted:
So you brought up that LMT has been in business for 40 years, and they're probably not going anywhere. Agreed. But that doesn't mean that their piston is going to stay in production.

Others have intimated it as well, but let me tell you, LMT's not super enthusiastic about the thing, and never was. It is not their production or marketing focus, and it has never been a very strong seller--I don't work for LMT, but we did a joint marketing event with them, you've probably seen pictures of it. They sent a grand total of one piston upper that they were pretty "meh" about, saying "you can use it if you want," in relation to about six or eight DI MRP complete guns, a MARS-H, an M203, etc., that they wanted us to make sure definitely got used.
With LMT having government contracts for the LMT piston and pushing its submission into trials, it isn't going away any time soon. You might not like the design but LMT will continue to supporting it well into the future. If LMT was not sure enthusiastic about their piston AR, they wouldn't have submitted it for trials nor been enthusiastic about it when it won them multi million dollar contract.

Quoted:
LWRCi is just barely old enough to drink, and PWS is a sophomore in high school. It was pointed out to you that older, more storied, larger, and more successful companies have fallen. Somebody else (not me) pointed out actual reported production numbers from those companies. Note: no one said LWRCi or PWS were definitely going to fold. But none of us can tell the future, so it's worth considering.
Again, if you are worried about the future gather enough parts for your piston AR to be able to service it yourself. Like most gun owners, I doubt most piston AR owners (whether LWRC, LMT, PWS or POF) have just their piston AR. It isn't mutually exclusive to also owning DI ARs.

Going with a domestic AR manufacturer is much safer imo than going with HK who has done exactly 1 AR design and has since abandoned it in terms of their next generation combat/duty rifle being the HK433. LWRC, LMT, PWS, POF are all AR companies through and through. That's how they came into existence. HK just did the one off piston M4/AR. Not because they are somehow loyal to the Stoner design. They aren't.

Quoted:
Meanwhile, you post wrong information based on what you've read on internet forums and facebook about "what is going to happen," when you seem not to even understand what the distinction is between SOCOM and JSOC, which, spoiler alert, are different organizations with different funding and procurement among a lot of other things.

But fine, I shrugged it off and tried to make light of it.
Nothing that I posted was incorrect. I was going off what coregon has posted regarding LVAW and what SOCOM and JSOC have gone with regarding Sig's offerings between the LVAW, SURG, PDW. And yes, I do know they are different organizations. Never did I state in my post they were the same.

Quoted:
And then you keep on going, now bringing up some noise about Executive Orders and overseas manufacturers, apparently not realizing that M27s and MR556s have been being built in the U.S. for years now, before defaulting back to "well they're not making HK416s for the civilian market."

Which brings us full circle to your very first comment "the MR556 isn't the HK416." Except minus the barrel, it pretty much is. And HK sells those spare parts to the civilian market. And Marvin Pitts, among others, can modify AR barrels and HK uppers so that you don't need to rely on HK if you don't want to for new barrels. And properly protected for corrosion and wear (nitriding or chrome lining), HK carbine barrels last for some stupid round counts, especially for civilian semi-auto fire.
The MR556 isn't a HK416. Never has been and never was. You can put all the money one wants into a MR556 and upgrading parts, sending off for conversion work, sending off for nitride treatment, sending it off for laser engraving. But at the end of the day it still started as a MR556 and is still a MR556. Even if one might have spent extra money to make it look like a HK416.

Quoted:
You claim "not to have anything against" the 416 or HK, but you seem pretty dead set on trying to do everything you can ensure that the OP doesn't buy one. Because you think your guns are better. And everyone else's reasoning is bad, and you have all the answers, and yours are all right.

Meanwhile, again, all I've ever been trying to say is "I like the HK, here's some reasons why, but you don't have to agree, buy what you want."

Regardless, as far as I’m concerned, I’m done here. I’ve given as much information as needed or required for the OP to consider his purchase in an informed fashion, and I had no intention of getting into “HK416 Uber Alles” bickering match.

~Augee
This is a discussion forum right? So me posting my opinion should be the norm and expected, right? I don't have anything against the HK416. I think it is a great rifle. I do think the MR556 is severely limp-wristed and for the money there are better options. But again, I do not consider the MR556 = HK416 for several reasons. Even a glorified fixed up MR556 isn't a HK416.

Honestly, I don't care what OP goes with. It isn't my money. I don't work for either company. So whatever OP decides is best for him and his money, is awesome. But if you somehow think I am "dead set on trying to do everything you can ensure that the OP doesn't buy one" then you are "dead set on trying to do everything you can ensure that the OP does buy one." Kind of a crazy argument on your part.

Me having an opinion and supporting that with reasons does not mean I have all the answers and that they are all right. I have never stated that. But if you think I have all the answers and they are all right, then that is on you. I never stated that. I have just stated my opinion and thoughts in this discussion. Just like you have. No need to start making it personal and using ad hominem attacks and straw man fallacies.

I think you need to go back and actually re-read the thread. My first post was to kyjd75 who brought up the government contracts and New Zealand going with the DI LMT. I stated that if one wants a military proven rifle and that has been through selection trials, the LMT was the way to go over the MR556. As the MR556 is still a civilian rifle at the end of the day. So yes, between the MR556 or LMT piston I definitely agree with the opinion to go with the LMT. Easy decision.

Then Default-Gateway brought up PWS as another option. He was the first to state so. Not me. But I would also agree with Default-Gateway, if OP is willing to look at other piston AR options then it is worth considering the PWS as it in my opinion a better piston AR design for several reasons. So hopefully the way this whole discussion has come about is now clear to you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#41]
@TNVC_Augee

It's all good.  I'm enjoying the discussion.  I'm still up in the air about what to buy next.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But then you had to go and post something so outlandishly and easily proven untrue, I couldn’t help myself. I’m human.
View Quote
Go on.  And no, for this discussion a MR556 is not a HK416 as much as you would like to believe so. Even a worked over MR556 isn't a HK416, it is still a MR556 at the end of the day.

firedog51d when he started this thread asking for advice about the MR556, I don't believe he was talking about spending $2300-2500 on a MR556 Competition and then dropping another $500-750 for doing the MR556 work to get it to look like a 416 while waiting the 3-8 months or however long the HK gunsmiths are right. I could be wrong, but I think he is talking stock for stock of the MR556 vs. LMT piston.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I was basically looking for comparisons of the rifles and the pistol systems.  How user feel about them.  The HK has the cool factor and that matters somewhat long term durability and parts availability are more important.  The 416/MR556 isn't going anyway.  The Bundewehr just adopted it for their spec ops guys.  There is a good chance that they will adopt it for the army as a whole.  The French and Norwegians are ordering more.  LMT has only one contract for their piston system AFAIK.  The advantage to the LMT is DI stuff is fairly cheap for the MRP.  Easy to find another barrel and any BCG drops in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Augee,  hey, I'm on your side in this discussion! But I believe you also mentioned that you have some experience with the Sig MCX Virtus.  After a bunch of 516s (which I still have) I just acquired my first 11.5 SBR Virtus.  Opinions, and if you know, to what extent it is actually being adopted by military units?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
With the LMT piston...make sure that the bolt carrier is the updated, chromed carrier...if it is a phospated BCG...the piston key is pretty soft...I am sure LMT would replace it...but just be aware.

Between those two though...I'd take the LMT...but if you can get your hands on a PWS PRO (under $1K new)...its one heck of a piston gun and it is my go-to AR right now. The PWS PRO has a very robust handguard/barrel attachment method...really like that..while being a long stroke system...
View Quote
Whoa thats the first ive heard of that. Any LMT released info to back that up? Im rocking a phosphate carrier in my factory 16” piston LMT rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Whoa thats the first ive heard of that. Any LMT released info to back that up? Im rocking a phosphate carrier in my factory 16” piston LMT rifle.
View Quote
LMT had issues with them running full auto...which got remedied by upgrading the carrier to a hard chrome carrier group for .gov guns...then IV8888 did a melt down with an old piston upper with the phosphate carrier group and it had op rod strikes that deformed the integral key...LMT from that point on has updated all piston guns to the new, chromed BCG both semi and full auto format...in semi auto...I don't think you have too much to worry about...but look at your key on your bolt carrier and if it starts to mushroom...call LMT.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

LMT had issues with them running full auto...which got remedied by upgrading the carrier to a hard chrome carrier group for .gov guns...then IV8888 did a melt down with an old piston upper with the phosphate carrier group and it had op rod strikes that deformed the integral key...LMT from that point on has updated all piston guns to the new, chromed BCG both semi and full auto format...in semi auto...I don't think you have too much to worry about...but look at your key on your bolt carrier and if it starts to mushroom...call LMT.
View Quote
Thanks for the info!

I dont shoot it enough to really be a problem so maybe it a non starter in my case.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top