Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2020 9:05:57 PM EDT
So for some reason I got the urge to look into a 416 upper.

I remember the parts kits being on Brownells but I imagine those are long gone.

Is trolling gunbroker and the EE the only way to get one of these things?

Or is there some other source I'm not aware of?

Also I know the MR556 uppers aren't the same as a 416 but what are the chances of those being in stock again? Or the complete rifles?

Apologies if this is a common question but I haven't been able to find much about it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Gatewood Supply gets 416 uppers in from time to time and has parts too, also check HKpro.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gatewood Supply gets 416 uppers in from time to time and has parts too, also check HKpro.
View Quote

Thanks! I started digging and found some stuff. Looks like this is more of a scavenger hunt than order it all at once type of build.

I didn’t know about gatewood though. Appreciate that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownell's doesn't still have the parts kits, but they do have some stuff:

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?avs%7cNewsletter_1=HK416&lp_pageid=HK416
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
HK 416 parts are out there, but the main components are not so easy to come by such as the barrel and bolt. Fortunately PWS did a good job on those components for Brownells.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Occasionally Clyde Armory, Botach, and Arms Unlimited get PD trade ins that they cut up the lowers to make a parts kit. Others that take trades do similar things. Gatewood is great to deal with, if you go that route. HKPro tends to be quite a bit overpriced and Gucci factored. Marvin Pitts makes excellent barrels, and an upper/lower can be assembled from the parts that are out there. Midwest Gun Works has a lot of HK 416 parts in stock, and seems to get regular shipments on what’s out of stock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried HKparts.net? It can be a little overpriced but they normally have any HK parts I need.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
With respect to Sig 516 uppers - Sig was selling them a couple of months ago at a ridiculously low price.  Not surprisingly, they lasted about a day.  They do occasionally come up for sale (usually the 14.5" version) and are still a great deal.  But you are going to have to do some digging and act fast when you find one.

If you want more info. there is a lengthy thread on this forum dedicated to Sig 516's, although you should probably skip the first couple of pages, since those deals are long gone and probably never coming back.

And, if you can find one, I would definitely consider getting a 556.  Honestly, it's 95% identical to the HK416 at a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a stripped upper from Brownells, they have the best price, get the one WITH the piston bushing installed. San Antonio Laser will engrave T-marks and any other marking you want, if you even care about those.

A Brownells barrel will work fine unless you absolutely need to have a chrome lined bore, then Marvin Pitts over at Nefarious Arms is the only place you can get them outside of dropping the dough for a legit 416 barrel.

Brownells, HKHaus, and HKparts will be your friends, in that order, if you want to do this. Also no shit go on HK's webstore, they sell quite a few parts you'll need and they'll happily help you if they can. Gatewood Supply may have a few things you need too.

I'd be happy to help if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, since this popped back up...

Does anybody know what you could do with some of the Brownells HK416 components that isn't full-on HK?  Like, if I get an upper, rail, and barrel, is there another piston kit that would work?  I'm assuming I would need the upper without the bushing.  Would I have to do a different barrel and have somebody put the HK416 extension on?  

At the end of the day, I'm just looking for something that looks close.  I don't have the drive to haunt a bunch of websites looking for the "right" components.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
You could look for a TD 415 upper, its basically a reverse engineered 416 upper... Quality is nebulous and inconsistent, but they can be found for significantly cheaper than 416 uppers. I have been seeing them around the 1700-2000 ish range....

Honestly, what I would do is get an MR556, SBR it, and replace the barrel with a Nefarious Arms 10" barrel - you can get them to vent the gas block too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, since this popped back up...

Does anybody know what you could do with some of the Brownells HK416 components that isn't full-on HK?  Like, if I get an upper, rail, and barrel, is there another piston kit that would work?  I'm assuming I would need the upper without the bushing.  Would I have to do a different barrel and have somebody put the HK416 extension on?  

At the end of the day, I'm just looking for something that looks close.  I don't have the drive to haunt a bunch of websites looking for the "right" components.  
View Quote

The 416 upper will work on any AR lower; you do need a HK (or M-16) hammer to work due to the firing pin safety for the 416 carrier though. The bolt carrier assembly itself is proprietary, can't switch it out with another piston carrier in a 416 upper as far as I know.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, like most things HK, scrounging parts for a 416 build from multiple sources is how it goes.  If you want easy then just buy an MR556 complete gun or upper off GB or the sell forum on HKPro.  If it’s legit 416 or bust then be prepared to pay stupid money on GB.HKPro or HKparts.net for a factory upper - almost makes SR16s look cheap.  If neither of those options work for you then scrounge is the only way.  I personally picked up a few AF coded PD trade in kits a long time ago at what are now great prices and scrounged for the parts to upgrade at not so great prices over time. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 416 upper will work on any AR lower; you do need a HK (or M-16) hammer to work due to the firing pin safety for the 416 carrier though. The bolt carrier assembly itself is proprietary, can't switch it out with another piston carrier in a 416 upper as far as I know.
View Quote

The HK buffer and buffer spring also have to be used.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I just saw a complete 416 parts kit on GB. Everything but the receiver. It’s advertised as a PD trade in. Pricey
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
This is what we have come to.  I got the same kit except with AF date code (including buttstock missing the sling loop) years ago at what I thought was a stupid price - glad I bought when I did.  Up until recently that money would get you brand new OTB kit at least.  And the guy has not even taken office yet...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Is a 516 upper swappable with the stripped upper from brownells?
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top