AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2018 10:52:09 AM EDT
I need to be able to work on

Ar-15 uppers in multiple calibers
Ar-10 uppers in multiple calibers
Ar-15 lower
Ar-10 lower

What's are good quality but affordable tools to be able to securely hold those combinations?
I like the style that engages the barrel lugs for uppers but multiple calibers complicates that.
Thinking maybe the Odin vice block for uppers not sure on lowers.
Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The two items below is all you would need.  I use all of them often for upper, lower and barrel work.  The only thing I have never tried to remove is a stubborn muzzle device.

Plastixrevolution upper/ lower blocks

Plastixrevolution barrel V blocks
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know of any lower receiver vise blocks or upper receiver vise blocks that can hold both 5.56 and .308 receivers.

I'm pretty sure you have to go all in on specific vise blocks for each caliber.

Edit: And the post above proves me wrong on the upper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestion had not heard of them before.  
Looks good only thing I'm not a fan of is having to loosen and tighten the vice each time when going horizontal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know of any lower receiver vise blocks or upper receiver vise blocks that can hold both 5.56 and .308 receivers.

View Quote
Yeah the lower I haven't seen yet, thought maybe someone would make one that is 1 piece but can be flipped over with different sizes.
There are a few upper ones, the Odin I mentioned does both but needs to be flipped over, its aluminum but relies just on the pins to hold it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah the lower I haven't seen yet, thought maybe someone would make one that is 1 piece but can be flipped over with different sizes.
There are a few upper ones, the Odin I mentioned does both but needs to be flipped over, its aluminum but relies just on the pins to hold it.
View Quote
Don't go with the one from Odin, those "pin type" vise blocks end up cracking upper receivers all the time when torquing the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ever heard of JP Rifles?

Cause they've had a dual-use upper vise block set for.....shit, at least 6 years now cause I got mine 6 years ago.

link
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ever heard of JP Rifles?

Cause they've had a dual-use upper vise block set for.....shit, at least 6 years now cause I got mine 6 years ago.

link
View Quote
I have, I use their double crush washers. I never looked through their tool selection though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The JP looks nice like the magnets would make it easier to clamp in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using one of these for quite a while for upper builds. Not quite as nice as say a reaction rod but they work. Never had any issues after many barrel nuts installed.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/740625/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-action-block-and-picatinny-rail-vise-block-ar-15-ar-10-lr-308

For the lower vice blocks I have used pro-mag vice blocks. Nothing fancy but they work. The only real torquing you are doing on a lower anyways is the castle nut.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Brownells has a very good AR15 vice block combo with the upper block and insert (important for rigidity), and the lower (magazine) block.  Combo is about $60 if I recall.

I believe they have a separate kit for the AR10.

This has served me well for a long time.

No receiver block is acceptable, however, for working on the muzzle end of the rifle (muzzle devices).   Just wrap a strip of leather around the barrel as close to the muzzle threads as possible and grip it there in your vice.  Grip it hard, you'll not hurt the barrel.  You just want to protect the finish.  You'll never had to worry about damaging the receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top