Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2021 4:10:55 PM EDT
What's a good scope that's lightweight and budget oriented that'll have enough magnification for 500 yards. I realize this may be a tall order but I'm sure there might be a scope like this somewhere out there. By budget I mean under 250 really I would like to keep it under 200.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a used Primary Arms Prism scope on the EE
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
See what Natchez Shooters Supply has for Burris on sale.

They have some Fullfield 2s available

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope-6-5-20x50mm-18-6-3-1-3-6-ballistic-mil-dot-reticle-matte.html

But that might not meet your criteria for low weight.

You are asking for too much (low weight and good enough mag)  for too little.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
if the Burris fullfield 2 is a good quality scope then it seems about perfect. The 3-9x40 only weighs 12 ounces 9x is plenty for 500 yards and it's only 145$
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hows the fullfield 4 vs the 2 compare. The fullfield 4 has a 2.5-10x42 for only 165 and is still relatively lightweight at 16oz
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.eurooptic.com/RZR-1558-Razor-HD-LH-2-10x40-Riflescope-with-HSR-4---RZR-155.aspx

Over your budget but give it look. Japanese glass and 16.5oz. I have the big brother and its a lot of scope for the money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's  definitely a nice scope it's just way more than I can spend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps a Leupold Freedom? I believe both the 3-9 and 4-12 have the option of their Tri-MOA reticle. OP could also check the EE here. I bought a used Nikon 3-9 with a BDC for just over a hundred, sure wish I could find where I put it...
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If the budget is that tight your going to be limited to chicom stuff. Double down on your research and you can get something decent. The Chinese stuff is not universally garbage like it used to be and they have some good bang for the buck glass. There's also a lot of complete crap. I got a pair of diamondback hd binos and for 175$ they're pretty impressive. They're no where near my swaro but are functional and 1/10th the cost.

Your other option is search for older Leopold or Japanese used.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The Burris I was looking at is made in the Philippines I don't know how good of quality they are but they have a lot of good reviews.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Found a vortex diamondback 3-9x40 for 190 brand new are they good scopes
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Philippine made pst2 3-15 and its very nice for the money. I've also handled the 1-6 pst2 several times and they seemed solid. If you can confirm that Philippine made and the reviews are good I'd lean that way. Honestly my problem with purchasing  a Chinese scope even for a budget optic is the million different makes and models are confusing. I'm a sample of one but I've been impressed with the Philippine made stuff and that would be my go to for a budget optic.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
There’s a ton of older Leupold glass out there that’s great for the money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Take a look at Athlon.  Some great glass for the $$$
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea, it seems the Burris fullfield 2 is indeed made in the Philippines. With how cheap it is, all the good reviews, and it having all the things I want I think I'll try it out. Despite my ar10 only being a 16in barrel it's rather heavy so there's almost no recoil at all so that should help it maintain 0 better and let the scope last longer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Leupold.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x on my .22LR plinker, and it does its job well enough for practice at 100 yards.  The glass clarity is definitely lacking compared to some of my nicer scopes, but it wouldn't be a bad place to start if that's all you can afford.

With that said, I feel like the extra money you spend to get a scope in the $400-500 range will be well worth it in the long run. If you can extend your budget to get one of the Razor HD LH 1.5-8x or 2-10x scopes on clearance at EuroOptic or an SWFA 2.5-10x Ultralight, you'll have a dramatically better optic that will last a lifetime.  A $200 scope might work for now, but you'll eventually want to upgrade to something nicer if you really want to shoot beyond 200-300 yards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Budget, lightweight and capable...
Bushnell Engage 2.5-10 or the 12 power variant. I routinely take my 10x to 1200 yards with little issue.
Good light transmission, usable moa reticle, locking turrets, 18 ounces.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x on my .22LR plinker, and it does its job well enough for practice at 100 yards.  The glass clarity is definitely lacking compared to some of my nicer scopes, but it wouldn't be a bad place to start if that's all you can afford.

With that said, I feel like the extra money you spend to get a scope in the $400-500 range will be well worth it in the long run. If you can extend your budget to get one of the Razor HD LH 1.5-8x or 2-10x scopes on clearance at EuroOptic or an SWFA 2.5-10x Ultralight, you'll have a dramatically better optic that will last a lifetime.  A $200 scope might work for now, but you'll eventually want to upgrade to something nicer if you really want to shoot beyond 200-300 yards.
View Quote

Can you confirm these are Philippine made? I agree with you on saving a bit more and finding a Japan LOW scope on closeout. Those razor lh look really good for the price.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I'm going to give the Burris a try. For the vast majority of the time I'll be shooting under 100 yards. Every now and then I might be shooting 200-400 yards but it'll be rare. From all the research I can find the Burris is indeed made in the Philippines and has a LOT of good reviews. Later down the line when I have more to spend I'll get some kind of Leopold or vortex but for now the Burris is everything I want and need.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#22]

@az1911.  I saw DSG Arms had US Optics, I take it you have one or at least shot though one, how are they for their price point?
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@az1911.  I saw DSG Arms had US Optics, I take it you have one or at least shot though one, how are they for their price point?
View Quote

I have one installed on a 308 build. It compact , light, the optics are bright . I like it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#25]
So I got the Burris fullfield 2 3-9x40 today and got it mounted on. For 165$ I don't see how you can do any better, the light transmission is to the point that I can't tell the difference between looking through the scope and the naked eye. The clarity is very good and the color quality is top notch. It says on the scope made in Philippines. I haven't shot with it yet but if it tracks good and holds zero then I don't see how you could go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Might be an unpopular opinion, but budget and optics don’t tend to go together.  Budget and hun gear in general don’t really go together.  If it works for you then good on you.  Cheapest I’d go on a scope is a vortex viper pst 1-6.  Found for ~500
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I think there have been enough favorable reviews of the Burris rt-6 to call that into question. You would be hard-pressed to get a better bang for the buck performance from an optic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#28]
The Burris fullfield scopes are great for the price. They are durable, ok glass, track decently well and backed by a lifetime warranty. Good budget choice for hunting rifles.

My family has several of the 3-9x40 with BDC reticle. I prefer the 4.5-14x42 long range MOA model, can be had under $200.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#29]
IMO you are better off using irons until you can buy a quality scope. Money spent twice is money wasted. Cheap scopes don't hold their resale value very well.

You can buy decent scopes for $500 to $600 new, cheaper used. Vortex sells useable scopes for around $400 on sale. I prefer 30mm tubes over 1". Eye relief needs to be at least 3.5" for an AR-15.

The rule of thumb when buying a scope is that it should cost as much as your rifle. While not everyone can afford that level of quality, having a junk scope mounted on a firearm that you are going to stake your life and family's life on makes no sense at all to me.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IMO you are better off using irons until you can buy a quality scope. Money spent twice is money wasted. Cheap scopes don't hold their resale value very well.

You can buy decent scopes for $500 to $600 new, cheaper used. Vortex sells useable scopes for around $400 on sale. I prefer 30mm tubes over 1". Eye relief needs to be at least 3.5" for an AR-15.

The rule of thumb when buying a scope is that it should cost as much as your rifle. While not everyone can afford that level of quality, having a junk scope mounted on a firearm that you are going to stake your life and family's life on makes no sense at all to me.

View Quote

Not every rifle is a "stake your life" proposition.

My grandfather hunted within a few miles of his home the last 30 years of his life.  The only scope he used was  a 1980's vintage Redfield, in many ways inferior to the cheap scopes of today.  He was very careful with it and it never let him down.  If it had, he would have walked back to his truck, driven home and grumbled about it over breakfast.  Then he would have used a different rifle if he decided to go out that afternoon.

Regarding resale and retained value, there are circumstances where buying a  lower end optic makes sense. Trying a new style of optic, for example.  I wasn't sold on the LPVO and wanted to live with one for a while.  I didn't buy one of the "buy once" options right off.  I bought one of the better low end models on a good sale.  My reasoning is that I might lose $50 moving the cheap one, but the depreciation on a higher end model wound be more in absolute terms even though it would hold a much greater percentage of its value.

I decided against investing in a better LPVO for the time being, but I'm going to keep the little Burris RT6.  It fills a niche role on a rifle not slated for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So I got the Burris fullfield 2 3-9x40 today and got it mounted on. For 165$ I don't see how you can do any better, the light transmission is to the point that I can't tell the difference between looking through the scope and the naked eye. The clarity is very good and the color quality is top notch. It says on the scope made in Philippines. I haven't shot with it yet but if it tracks good and holds zero then I don't see how you could go wrong.
View Quote

You did well within your budget limitations.  Its a great hunting scope for distances out to 300 yards or so.  The Philippine made Burris scopes represent great value.  You probably will not see enough fine detail at 500 yards, though.   Its not just magnification.  You need better glass quality for resolving fine detail at longer ranges.  That increases costs.  But for a hunting and general purpose scope out to 300 its nice.

I have several Burris scopes and like them.  One is a 2-7x35 scout scope on a .45-70, another is their sadly discontinued Japanese glass, American assembled 6-24x50 Burris Black Diamond target scope.  The latter has first class glass and 1/8 MOA click turrets and 1/8 MOA fine target crosshair reticle.  Burris makes multiple lines of scopes and the Fullfield is very popular with hunters for good reason.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I checked back to be sure, and sure enough I don't see anything about staking his or his family's life on anything.  Good grief, this is a discussion among strangers.  None of us are familiar with the OP's age, physical condition and his eyesight, disposable income or any other constraints he may need to work within.  Maybe he has a cranky wife.  And I long ago lost use for the (IMHO) totally outdated rule of thumb.  Optics have come so far in the past 20 years or so, it just doesn't work anymore.  Match the optic to the demands of the "mission" and buy from a well established manufacturer.  Plenty of independent product reviews are available on just about everything.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not every rifle is a "stake your life" proposition.

My grandfather hunted within a few miles of his home the last 30 years of his life.  The only scope he used was  a 1980's vintage Redfield, in many ways inferior to the cheap scopes of today.  He was very careful with it and it never let him down.  If it had, he would have walked back to his truck, driven home and grumbled about it over breakfast.  Then he would have used a different rifle if he decided to go out that afternoon.

Regarding resale and retained value, there are circumstances where buying a  lower end optic makes sense. Trying a new style of optic, for example.  I wasn't sold on the LPVO and wanted to live with one for a while.  I didn't buy one of the "buy once" options right off.  I bought one of the better low end models on a good sale.  My reasoning is that I might lose $50 moving the cheap one, but the depreciation on a higher end model wound be more in absolute terms even though it would hold a much greater percentage of its value.

I decided against investing in a better LPVO for the time being, but I'm going to keep the little Burris RT6.  It fills a niche role on a rifle not slated for defensive purposes.
View Quote

Clearly you should have chastised gramps for doing it wrong..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top