Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2022 12:03:52 AM EDT
I'm working on building my first 9mm ar. I do not currently own anything that uses glock or scorpion mags. Which is the best choice? I'm leaning towards scorpion mags based on looks alone
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, are you concerned about costs?  Not sure what the mag costs between them are. I went with Glock mag version because I had a bazillion 9mm Glocks and mags so it made sense for me.

If you have neither and want the Scorpions for aesthetics, then go with Scorpions.

Magpul did make a 50rd drum for 9mm Glocks and 9mm Glock PCCs if you're interested in that.
I just buy factory Glock 33rd magazines when they go on sale.  Not spending that much on a drum.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not really concerned about costs. Is there any difference in reliability?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock mags are boringly reliable, widely available, available from 8.7 different manufacturers in at least 3 countries, and you can print them at home.  They also fit a whole bunch of handguns, AR-9s, & other rifles.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm working on building my first 9mm ar. I do not currently own anything that uses glock or scorpion mags. Which is the best choice? I'm leaning towards scorpion mags based on looks alone
View Quote

This is an easy answer....buy the mags you want to buy.

Build the gun you want to build.

See how easy that was ???
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I chose Endomags.  Glock mag guns are fugly.  With Endo's you get the look you want and you can use your existing mag pouches and carriers.  And they are boringly reliable.  Any standard AR lower will work and it is easy to swap back and forth to 5.56 or 22LR to 9mm.

That said, I want to build a Scorpion mag AR just because.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Have Scorpion mag ARs and Glock mag ARs and they both work great if setup correctly. Be careful on the lower choice.  The Glock mag guns are finicky on angle and depth of mag well.  As far as I know the only companies who make Scorpion mag lowers are NFA and PSA.  Glock mag lowers are many. Difference is Glock single stack feed or Scorpion true double feed.  Don't count out Colt mags, had one of CMMG colt lower and loved it.  Sold it to a buddy to get into Steel Challenge and regret it.  The Ruger PC can be setup for Glock or Ruger SR mag. not bad for price but depends on what you will be using it for?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
glock mags require a good feed cone
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I chose Endomags.  Glock mag guns are fugly.  With Endo's you get the look you want and you can use your existing mag pouches and carriers.  And they are boringly reliable.  Any standard AR lower will work and it is easy to swap back and forth to 5.56 or 22LR to 9mm.

That said, I want to build a Scorpion mag AR just because.
View Quote

This is good advice.  I have a PSA, AR-V that uses Scorpion mags and it has been utterly reliable.

I also have  CMMG Mk4 complete SBR in 9mm that uses a standard 5.56 AR lower and Endomags. It has also been dead reliable and has the advantage that you can swap in any upper and caliber you want and you still get to use your same lower with trigger group. This is especially nice of you run a binary or favorite (expensive) trigger.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Scorpion mags are like a few thousand times easier to load than Glock mags
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with Glock mags due to the abundance of them and being able to switch between Glock pistol and AR.

Honestly don’t know which one edges out in reliability but I know that the Glock ones I have work reliably.

I think long term the Glock mags and parts for them will be easier to obtain.

If I had a Scorpion I might have gone that direction but highly doubt I’m ever buying one since I’m satisfied the 9mm AR I have satisfies my needs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're going to shoot a lot, get the scorpion mags. Because they're double feeding, they can be loaded extremely quickly with the ETS loader. The Glock mags are single column feed, so they're loaded more slowly. I've tried using Glock fast loaders like from ETS and they're nowhere near as reliable as the double feed ones. All that said, if you think a magazine ban might be in your future, 10 round Glock magazines will always be easier to find.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My most reliable and favorite AR9 uses Colt mags. The C-products steel mags work as good as metalform and they are 17.99. I use the RRA conversion block. Holds last round bolt open and you can use any trigger. The drawback is that there are not drum mags for it and the mags are ugly. The upside is last round bolt hold open and you can run the lower in standard configuration.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My most reliable and favorite AR9 uses Colt mags. The C-products steel mags work as good as metalform and they are 17.99. I use the RRA conversion block. Holds last round bolt open and you can use any trigger. The drawback is that there are not drum mags for it and the mags are ugly. The upside is last round bolt hold open and you can run the lower in standard configuration.
View Quote

x2 - DuraMag's have been 100% here.  At some point I'd like a dedicated Colt-mag lower w/ the smaller mag well (Spikes, PSA), but really only to drop a bit of weight.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

x2 - DuraMag's have been 100% here.  At some point I'd like a dedicated Colt-mag lower w/ the smaller mag well (Spikes, PSA), but really only to drop a bit of weight.
View Quote

Oh come on

The also look way better
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh come on

The also look way better
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on

The also look way better

Hey, the full-size mag well, the adapter…are so heavy…. OK, fine…maybe 8.7% looks!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have a bunch of Cproducts black follower mags from when 44mag.com was around.

They run great. Same company as duramag I believe. Have some ASC too but I cant tell the difference between the two.

The metalforms are the best though by a mile. Just a far better built quality.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Duramags won’t fit in my mag well adapter. All other mags will, just not those.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I went Glock mainly because I’m issued a Glock 19. If push came to shove… can use duty magazines in my AR9.

My .45 D/I AR… I used Macon Armory magazines. The adapter and the magazines are pretty close to the Colt design, just staggered differently for the larger cartridge. If I didn’t have Glock magazines, I’d probably have gone Colt instead of CZ. Not that CZ is garbage, but because of the track record of that design over shoving a Scorpion magazine into an AR.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another vote for Colt mags. They're dead nuts reliable and you get that retro look.

There are actually drum mags. One is out of production and I can't recall the name anymore but looked to be of quality metal construction. I've never actually gotten my hands on one.

Another is made by promag. It's typical Promag crap quality, but the two I got on sale cheap actually have run ok for me. I'm sure YMMV.

There's also this one from f5 which I know nothing about. Looks like a little different design, but it's metal. I just found it typing this reply and ordered one, I'll report back on it.

The last one is a beta mag style. They're really pricy but the option is there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the f5 drum in today

It's all metal and feels very well constructed.

However, it comes with a note not to use HP or TC nosed bullets or steel cased ammo. I haven't had a chance to try it yet and see if that's just a CYA warning or if it really effects function. If you're stuck with RN brass ammo only, that makes this a expensive range toy. We'll see.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I built an NFA S-9 lower and love it. While I have a Glock 19 as a carry weapon I just couldn't get over the looks of Glock fed AR9s. I followed Amphibian's advice and built with a KS47 upper and used CMMGs RDB system. Only issue I've had with it is it will only feed reliably from Manticore mags from preppers gun shop and slightly modified PSA AK-V mags with the the feed lips sanded down to bare metal. It will not work with Magpul's mag without massive modifications to it.  I also followed Amphibian's advice and used the kyneshot RB5007 buffer, VTLOR A5 tube and a Tubbs 300blk buffer spring. So far so good. No matter what you decide I hope you have fun building it. :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are Colt style drum mags available from ProMag, F5, Beta C, and X Products. The F5 will feed some hollow-points, at least in my configuration.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top