Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2019 8:13:21 PM EDT
I have 2 early bend gas tubes I would like a carbon steel gas tube but i don't know if I already have on or the ones I have are both stainless steel so I took some pictures if anyone can help me out also I do not have a magnet handy to test it out that way

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
A magnet is the SURE and EASY way to tell what you have.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Your bound to have a magnet somewhere, fridge, cell phone mount, think outside the box. Ask your neighbors
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So I was able to find a magnet to test these gas tubes with and the magnet stuck to the ends that get pinned into the FSB but no where else on the tube soo does that mean I have 2 stainless steel gas tubes ?

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I was able to find a magnet to test these gas tubes with and the magnet stuck to the ends that get pinned into the FSB but no where else on the tube soo does that mean I have 2 stainless steel gas tubes ?

https://i.postimg.cc/XJTPRqwd/20190624-200658.jpg
View Quote
Correct both stainless
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Correct both stainless
View Quote
Damit well I guess I'm in the market for a carbon early bend gas tube
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone got a source ?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
ive got one, buddy
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ive got one, buddy
View Quote
I'm ok thanks though, friend
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok I'm just trying to be 100% sure of my facts here please help me

carbon steel gas tubes were used on earlier models that was later replaced by stainless steel. Carbon steel gas tubes should NOT be magnetic

Stainless steel gas tubes replaced the carbon steel ones and also began the "new" bend that are used in today's rifles. Stainless steel IS magnetic

Are my facts correct?
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok I'm just trying to be 100% sure of my facts here please help me

carbon steel gas tubes were used on earlier models that was later replaced by stainless steel. Carbon steel gas tubes should NOT be magnetic

Stainless steel gas tubes replaced the carbon steel ones and also began the "new" bend that are used in today's rifles. Stainless steel IS magnetic

Are my facts correct?
View Quote
Early Bend has 2 versions
carbon steel - earlier and magnetic
stainless steel - later and non-magnetic or only slightly magnetic (very weak if it is)

Modern Version are stainless steel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you I appreciate it
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Carbon is magnetic and stainless is non magnetic
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Carbon is magnetic and stainless is non magnetic
View Quote
Not always true in gun parts! I worked at Cabela's and got an angry call one day from a fellow who bought a stainless steel muzzle loader. The barrel responded to a magnet.
Stainless has nickel in it, which causes it to be "stainless" and non-magnetic.
HOWEVER: Stainless is also too soft for rifle barrels. So carbon has to be added to ramp up the wear capabilities, which then makes it magnetic, yet still have the qualities of stainless.
SO: SS barrels can be magnetic, as is the barrel on my Ruger M77.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top