Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2021 1:46:10 PM EDT
Had a bcm gas low pro gas block that had some damaged threads from removing it ( guess it had material caught in the threads when it went on). Retapped the threads for good measure but now when you insert the set screws the threads feel loose and you can wiggle the set screws a bit in the threaded holes. That normal ? Should I use it or get another one ? Sorry for the question, never retapped threads before.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get another gas block.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas blocks are not expensive.  Sweating over redoing threads, then “what if I got it wrong,” or “what if it moves anyway” are “costly.”  Get a new block.

The hardest part, for me, of installing a gas block is getting it into position.  Everything else is just details and technique.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You probably used a cutting tap and not a chase tap.

using a cutting tap on messed up threads will usually removed material and cause loose screw engagement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup that’s probably what did it
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t have a “selection” of cutting, bottoming and chase taps.  I have a couple sets in specific sizes, but mostly I have either cutting or nothing.

So when it looks like I have to chase some threads, I get a fastener of the right size and just thread it through the hole.  That will either fix lightly goobered threads, or tell me that the threads are really bad.  And if I mess up a “5 for $0.30 bolt”, oh well.

I did not come to this in some philosophical epiphany.  No.  I severely destroyed a threaded hole once by just ham-fisting the only tap I had for that size: a (really nice) Craftsman cutting tap.  I’m not sure if I angled the tap, or didn’t quite align it and cross threaded it from the start, but those threads were essentially history after just a few good “strong” twists.

Now, I am very mild and gentle when I try to start most fasteners, and extremely mild with any thread cutting tool.  I’m teachable, just slow.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top