BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2020 12:50:38 AM EDT
Hi All,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t2ySieZ7Z8qwFhCj8
I was fully taking down my rifle since it was raining on a recent hunt. As I removed the gas block, I noticed some wear on the barrel (pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/t2ySieZ7Z8qwFhCj8 ). They are marks from the gas block screws, I know, but is this wear likely to affect accuracy or safety of the rifle? Or is this common?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
So let me get this straight. You removed the GB to clean underneath it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct. And to get into the gas tube entrance into the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It's most likely not "damage". Typically, those "dimples" are drilled as a part of the process of installing a screw-secured gas block. If they weren't there, your gas block might walk off in a few hundred rounds due to shock and heating/cooling cycles. The physical intrusion of the set-screws into the barrel surface gives them mechanical advantage to hold things in place properly.

They present no issues for safety or, realistically, accuracy, any more than threads on a barrel end would pose a safety or accuracy issue.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
One is a dimple and the other is where the set screw bit into the barrel to make sure it held fast. It is supposed to be like that.

You *really* don't need to pull that all apart like that. Gas blocks don't need to come off unless it's a barrel or handguard change.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Only thing is, those dimples weren't there before I installed the gas block. So I'm wondering if they came about due to me being too tight on the screws during install (I used an allen key until I couldn't turn anymore with reasonable pressure). So they are from the screws. I'm hoping like you said, it's simply just a natural process when you have a screwed on gas block. Thanks for your reply. Have you seen this on any of your rifles/pistols?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
So this just happens typically with screw-on gas blocks? I'm only asking because it wasn't there originally. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only thing is, those dimples weren't there before I installed the gas block. So I'm wondering if they came about due to me being too tight on the screws during install (I used an allen key until I couldn't turn anymore with reasonable pressure). So they are from the screws. I'm hoping like you said, it's simply just a natural process when you have a screwed on gas block. Thanks for your reply. Have you seen this on any of your rifles/pistols?
View Quote
Quoted:
So this just happens typically with screw-on gas blocks? I'm only asking because it wasn't there originally. Thanks.
View Quote
As mentioned, normal. It's not possible to over tighten them with a hex wrench, it would strip first.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok that's relieving. Thanks all for your input.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#9]
If the marks bother you there are clamp on gas blocks available that don't mar the barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, the screws utilized are designed to cut into the barrel to prevent the gas block from moving.

Also, there’s no need to completely tear down your rifle after it gets wet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One is a dimple and the other is where the set screw bit into the barrel to make sure it held fast. It is supposed to be like that.

You *really* don't need to pull that all apart like that. Gas blocks don't need to come off unless it's a barrel or handguard change.
This.
Double this, And that little mark from the non dimpled hole is has absolutely no bearing integrity of the barrel. If it did Military type FSP barrels would be failing left and right from the fact that there is 2 drilled out sections for pins.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Double this, And that little mark from the non dimpled hole is has absolutely no bearing integrity of the barrel. If it did Military type FSP barrels would be failing left and right from the fact that there is 2 drilled out sections for pins.
View Quote
This.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top