Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2020 4:33:02 PM EDT
Is there a place that I can look up the dimensions for the dimension of the gas port on a barrel as well as the gas block dimensions?

I am having trouble with a new Ballistics Advantage barrel.  The gas ports are not aligning it appears that the gas port on the barrel is not correct.

I am using a YHM gas block with MOE Handguards.

If I were to not use the handguard ring it appears they would align.  

Am I missing something is there a different gas block for when using Handguards?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
More and more gas blocks are being made that install against the shoulder. If yours is the low profile set screw YHM-9383, it installs against the shoulder, all other YHM do not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that is the gas block that I have.

Ok, that then explains my issue.

Is there some where I can determine which gas block will work with Handguards?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, that is the gas block that I have.

Ok, that then explains my issue.

Is there some where I can determine which gas block will work with Handguards?
View Quote

Thats the problem, the vendors dont bother to tell you if the gas block mounts flush against the shoulder or uses a handguard cap gap.

I just bought 2 new Colts with shaved front sight gas blocks installed by Colt, they put a spacer ring in place of the handguard cap.

I have used that Yankee hill version, its design to mount flush to the shoulder.

The easiest way to tell is to install gas block upside down and look thru the set screw hole.

Its a crap shoot when you buy a gas block as to whether its designed to mount flush to the shoulder of the barrel or have the "gap". I have no idea why they dont or cant mark that on the package. It would be helpful to know this online before ordering.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with you OTDR that the manufacture should identify if the block goes against the journal or not.

Sully I only have three (3) AR and two of them are already setup for handguard I just can't justify the cost to purchase the jig for drilling a dimple.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Most gas blocks are still allowing space for a handguard cap (0.025"-0.035"), Aero for example. I personally like one dimple only for free floats and no dimple for drop-ins. There is some leeway in gas port/gas block passage alignment that can help in keeping the handguard cap from flopping around. Also, not all caps are the same thickness. I've found a few tricks that's help me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I assembled my rifle using the original gas block but without using handguard.

No special jigs needed.

I installed the Diamond Head rail that I had on another rifle and it functions like it suppose to now.

Dam manufacture changing things without notifying is for the birds.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top