Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2018 11:11:00 AM EDT
Hi all! It's been a while since I posted here, but I thought some of you might be interested in the most recent addition to my AR collection. The video link below will take you to a review of my FAR15A1. I've got to say, this rifle is one of my favorites. Be sure to let me know what you think after you watch the video!

HRF

https://youtu.be/qpKfHspc8Qg

P.S. to the mods, I read through the rules, and I don't think posting a video link violates them. If so, please let me know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good video and audio quality. You come across as personable and folksy. Good shooting with a new rifle, especially the standing course of fire.
I think the vid was a little overlong. if you weren't an arf member, I would have skipped through more parts of it. I would suggest editing it down to the 10min range.

Hope this helps!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback. I knew this was going to be a longer video than I usually like to make. I prefer to stay between 10 and 20 minutes. On the other hand, when I break a longer video into two parts, I feel like the viewers are potentially missing out on some of the info I'm trying to present. It's a balancing act to be sure. This time around, I opted for the longer format.

Thanks again,
HRF
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice video thanks, I have been watching a lot of your videos lately as they are informative and fun! Love the Rock river national match rifle in action! This new A1 looks like a blast!
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It is! Thanks for watching!

HRF
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Will watch this when I get home tonight
always like your reviews
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. My career was over before the A2; frankly, I never minded the A1 because didn't know any better. Until, Angels Sing, I saw the A2's tapered delta ring. FA looks to have done a pretty good job on this one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes they did! I'm hoping to get some more trigger time with it tomorrow.

HRF
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Fulton Armory FAR15A1 - A Review of "My Rifle"
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably a fine rifle, but for the money it seems that the brownells retro rifle is a better clone of the M16A1. Especially now that they have xm grey receivers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably a fine rifle but for the money it seems thatcher  the brownells retro rifle is a better clone of the M16A1 especially now that they have xm grey receivers.
View Quote
The one thing I didn't care for with the Brownell's rifle was that it didn't have the compartment for cleaning gear in the stock. The rifles we had in the mid-1980s had that feature.

HRF
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I enjoyed watching that. Cool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you!

HRF
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The one thing I didn't care for with the Brownell's rifle was that it didn't have the compartment for cleaning gear in the stock. The rifles we had in the mid-1980s had that feature.

HRF
View Quote
That's interesting. I've always read that the type E stock came about in the early 70s. I've been going back and forth on which to use on my A1 build. I went to Parris Island in mid 1987 and never once in my 4 years saw a single M16A1 in use by Marines either at Quantico or Camp Pendleton, but I was Infantry and they most likely got the A2 first.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's interesting. I've always read that the type E stock came about in the early 70s. I've been going back and forth on which to use on my A1 build. I went to Parris Island in mid 1987 and never once in my 4 years saw a single M16A1 in use by Marines either at Quantico or Camp Pendleton, but I was Infantry and they most likely got the A2 first.
View Quote
Yep, Infantry and "deployable" Marines got A2 first (as well as the M9). As an MP, we always seemed to be among the last to get new weapons. I'm not sure why. When I was recalled out of the IRR for Operation Desert Storm in 1991, I was still issued a 1911A1. I was not upsset by that because I was again carrying a pistol with which I was very familiar. Still, I was a little surprised.

HRF
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

HRF
View Quote
From 1984 at BCT until the unit I was in at the time got A2s I saw a constant mix of trap door and non trap door stocks. Seemed to be no rhyme or reason. I carried my cleaning kit in a nylon pouch made for it so I could put more stuff in it like a wiping rag and bigger bottle of CLP etc...
So, in my experience in the US and Europe both D & E stocks served till the end.  I saw. A bunch of A1s with A2 stocks so I guess that was how some armorers added trap door stocks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle. I love the A1s too. I went to basic at FBGA in 1991 as 11B split option NG and we were trained with A1s while RA got the A2s.
Fast forward 25 years when my Dad died we did a memeorial for him at the local American Legion. I wanted to do a rifle display with boots, beret, dog tags like the many memorials I had attended since 9/11. Bought a lightly used Century C15A1. My family is from VT so it was kind of neat the gun was assembled in St Albans. I have since put about 500 rounds thru it and the rifle is awesome. Might be my one keeper if I only had one AR. I know: a Century!? But they really got It right with the C15A1.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice rifle and good video.  Most importantly, you actually know how to shoot properly!  You have perfect head alignment and cheek weld for the AR15's stock.  Nose to charging handle exactly like you're supposed to do, and the hasty sling hold is great.  I shoot the exact same way myself!

What type of ammo were you shooting in the video?  Did your rifle have the 1-12 or 1-8 twist criterian barrels?  I know Fulton made rifles with both (personally, I prefer 1-8).

One thing I want to caution you on is to re-title your video.  I tried to do a search on Fulton AR15A1 and M16A1 rifles and nothing came up.  You really don't want to label that FAR15A1 in the title, because no one will know to search for that.  I would re-title it to "Fulton Armory M16A1 rifle clone" or something alone those lines, and then put the same in the description so people interested in and searching for A1 rifles can find it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From 1984 at BCT until the unit I was in at the time got A2s I saw a constant mix of trap door and non trap door stocks. Seemed to be no rhyme or reason. I carried my cleaning kit in a nylon pouch made for it so I could put more stuff in it like a wiping rag and bigger bottle of CLP etc...
So, in my experience in the US and Europe both D & E stocks served till the end.  I saw. A bunch of A1s with A2 stocks so I guess that was how some armorers added trap door stocks.
View Quote
That's interesting. All of our A1's from the time I was in boot camp in 1995 until I left MCAS Iwakuni, Japan 4 years later had the trap door stocks. Odd how different things were in the different branches all in the same time period.

HRF
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
"I know: a Century!? But they really got It right with the C15A1"

No reason to aploogize! It's your rifle, set up the way you like it. May it serve you well!

HRF
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice rifle and good video.  Most importantly, you actually know how to shoot properly!  You have perfect head alignment and cheek weld for the AR15's stock.  Nose to charging handle exactly like you're supposed to do, and the hasty sling hold is great.  I shoot the exact same way myself!

What type of ammo were you shooting in the video?  Did your rifle have the 1-12 or 1-8 twist criterian barrels?  I know Fulton made rifles with both (personally, I prefer 1-8).

One thing I want to caution you on is to re-title your video.  I tried to do a search on Fulton AR15A1 and M16A1 rifles and nothing came up.  You really don't want to label that FAR15A1 in the title, because no one will know to search for that.  I would re-title it to "Fulton Armory M16A1 rifle clone" or something alone those lines, and then put the same in the description so people interested in and searching for A1 rifles can find it.
View Quote
The ammo was Hornady/Lake City" Fontier 55 grain match. The barrel has a 1:12" twist jsut like the original A1's. Just FYI the whole Youtube search thing is a pain, and I don't think it's by accident. One of the reasons I started posting links to my videos in various "video friendly" forums is because I was frustrated by the fact that they don't tend to come up when someone runs a search. They also don't come up as often as others in the "suggested" videos YT lists. My hope is that if folks like the videos they see in the forums, maybe they'll share them with others. This seems to be working as my subscriber list continues to grow (for which I am very grateful). When I started this little hobby, I didn't know if there was anyone on the planet who would want to watch me or listen to what I had to say. I'm thankful to all of you who watch and comment. I'll try to keep the videos interesting, informative, and hopefully entertaining!

Taks care,
HRF
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for posting this, Sir.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The ammo was Hornady/Lake City" Fontier 55 grain match. The barrel has a 1:12" twist jsut like the original A1's. Just FYI the whole Youtube search thing is a pain, and I don't think it's by accident. One of the reasons I started posting links to my videos in various "video friendly" forums is because I was frustrated by the fact that they don't tend to come up when someone runs a search. They also don't come up as often as others in the "suggested" videos YT lists. My hope is that if folks like the videos they see in the forums, maybe they'll share them with others. This seems to be working as my subscriber list continues to grow (for which I am very grateful). When I started this little hobby, I didn't know if there was anyone on the planet who would want to watch me or listen to what I had to say. I'm thankful to all of you who watch and comment. I'll try to keep the videos interesting, informative, and hopefully entertaining!

Taks care,
HRF
View Quote
I understand your frustration, but you really need to change the title to something similar to what I suggested.  No one is going to be searching for FAR15A1.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thank you for posting this, Sir.
View Quote
You're welcome!

HRF
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

HRF
View Quote
Early M16A1s (from 1967-1970) had the D type stocks. Which stock to use for a clone really depends on what era of M16A1 the person is looking for or wanting to build. Personally, I was issued my first M16A1 back in 1978 (MCRD, Parris Island, SC). It was the version with an E type stock. Right now, I have M16A1 clones from the following eras: early 1967 (Feb-Dec.), late 1967-1970, 1972-72, and 1974-82. I am working on one from the 1971 era.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Early M16A1s (from 1967-1970) had the D type stocks. Which stock to use for a clone really depends on what era of M16A1 the person is looking for or wanting to build. Personally, I was issued my first M16A1 back in 1978 (MCRD, Parris Island, SC). It was the version with an E type stock. Right now, I have M16A1 clones from the following eras: early 1967 (Feb-Dec.), late 1967-1970, 1972-72, and 1974-82. I am working on one from the 1971 era.
View Quote
I was aware of the change in the stocks, and I wanted the version that I was issued in the 1980's with the "E" version. I was not aware of other variations specific to the "A1". Obviously there were differences between the original AR15, XM16, and the M16. Would you mind educating me on what changed with the A1 other than the stock. Thank you, and Semper Fi!

HRF
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was aware of the change in the stocks, and I wanted the version that I was issued in the 1980's with the "E" version. I was not aware of other variations specific to the "A1". Obviously there were differences between the original AR15, XM16, and the M16. Would you mind educating me on what changed with the A1 other than the stock. Thank you, and Semper Fi!

HRF
View Quote
Other changes over the years included the FH, barrels and their markings, and upper receiver markings (forge codes). The 3-prong FH was changed out for the birdcage FH in Late 1967. Forge codes did not appear until the 1972-73 era M16A1. These were CK uppers and there was a small number or CM uppers made. In 1974-82, there was the CH forge code. All M16A1 barrels were 1/12 twist. By 1969 and before serial number 1,750,XXX Colt's chrome chamber barrels were marked C MP C, and the proof markings and C were moved to the same spot. This marking was used as late as 1970 or 1971 and serial number 4,552,XXX. Effective in December 1971 at about serial number 4,700,000 along with the chamber the bores were chromed, early ones were marked C MP B. Starting in 1974 and after serial number 4,900,000 chrome bores were marked C MP CHROME BORE. This marking was used all the way until the end of M16A1 production.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Other changes over the years included the FH, barrels and their markings, and upper receiver markings (forge codes). The 3-prong FH was changed out for the birdcage FH in Late 1967. Forge codes did not appear until the 1972-73 era M16A1. These were CK uppers and there was a small number or CM uppers made. In 1974-82, there was the CH forge code. All M16A1 barrels were 1/12 twist. By 1969 and before serial number 1,750,XXX Colt's chrome chamber barrels were marked C MP C, and the proof markings and C were moved to the same spot. This marking was used as late as 1970 or 1971 and serial number 4,552,XXX. Effective in December 1971 at about serial number 4,700,000 along with the chamber the bores were chromed, early ones were marked C MP B. Starting in 1974 and after serial number 4,900,000 chrome bores were marked C MP CHROME BORE. This marking was used all the way until the end of M16A1 production.
View Quote
Thank you! I was under the apparently erroneous impression that most, if not all, of those changes came into being when the A1 version came on line. As I said, I knew the stock changed, but I didn't know so many other changes were implemented over time.

HRF
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Really great video documenting some of the historical USMC rifle marksmanship techniques of the era when you still had the M16A1.

I haven't seen that bolt catch release method through the "carry handle" in ages.

Since you were going off trained memory from many repetitions, it shows some unique techniques to the USMC that can be dated to the period.

My US Army Infantry OSUT M16A2 was of FN manufacture in 1994.  When I got to my first unit, we still had M16A1s with a mix of A2 furniture on them.

I prefer the M16A1 over the M16A2 for an Infantry weapon since it was lighter with a rear sight that couldn't have the windage accidentally bumped or turned, with a superior fire control group for hit probability.

If you want to get into the weeds more about the development from the Colt 601 through 602 and 603, visit this site:

Retro Black Rifle
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you for the great video, I enjoyed it very much! It wasn't too long as it had plenty of information and kept my interest throughout. You are good in front of the camera.

I had an M16A1 while in Vietnam 1968 (Army) and like you decided to get a reproduction model this year. I went with the Brownells BRN-601 Mean Green Jungle Machine because I love how unique the 1963 rifle is. But it was very hard to choose it over the M16A1 I was issued! I've been curious about the Fulton M16A1 clone since I know they build a great rifle and was tempted to buy their M14 since I also was issued the M14.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Great video.
Thanks for doing it
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

My dad was just entering college in 1985, so this is fascinating stuff for a guy like me who entered the AR world after the AWB.

Never seen that bolt release method. Pretty cool. And the shooting positions make me want to try it. Looks fun, though not all that practical on a real battlefield...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top