Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2019 9:51:32 PM EDT
Initial impression, and as others have noted, the safety selector sticks out farther then I would like from the side of the receiver.
I also do not like the feel of the actual switch at all.
The mil-spec switch is what I want both in looks and feel.
I feel like I can just "flick" the mil-spec selector from safe to semi and then back and it doesn't want to gouge my thumb.
The BFS selector does interface with the trigger when going to binary mode so there will be some drag (meaning you may need more leverage) and this I suspect is the reason a mil-spec selector is not provided.
I knew all of this going in, but I thought I would mention it just in case Franklin Armory is looking for feedback when coming out with later versions or options that would sell.
I did not know going in that the edges of the switch would be so ghoulish, needing to feed on flesh and all, honestly just poor ergonomics IMHO.  (I know ...I know, but I take pride in my baby soft hands!)
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
With that out of the way, here is what ultimately made up my mind to go with the Franklin Armory BFS III.
In semi mode, I don't see any reason that this would not function just like a "mil-spec" ar-15 trigger.
Take that for what it is worth, but to me, it speaks volumes in terms of reliability.
Additionally, this is a nice mil-spec type of trigger, smoother take-up, and what I would call a good clean break.
I will also mention that I do like a bit of a heaver trigger with a fair amount of take-up in this platform.
I'm not really looking for a target gun, as much as a reliable shooter... I installed the heavier springs straight away.

I see a lot of people say that it's a range toy because of hammer follow issues as if they MUST shoot binary mode 100% of the time.
If just doing mag dumps is your thing, I totally get it.
But I like to have the option, and I like knowing that the trigger system is not going to fail and take the weapon completely out of action.
If I get a hammer follow in binary mode, and I need the weapon to function now, then I can just cycle the bolt and keep running.
I would much rather take that option than having to worry whether or not my MIM hammer suddenly just cracked from fatigue failure...  Yikes!
I would also add that I feel like "tuning" an AR is not really something that is new...  so that aspect didn't really scare me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Now for some range notes:
CMMG 22LR conversion.  OMG this thing is freaking amazing.  
No tuning.
Issues to note: 22LR casings sometimes don't like to eject (you'll notice this kinda stoppage in any semi mode btw)
Bolt bounce is a major thing which may also hurt ejection leading to more frequent stoppages.
There is no climb in the muzzle and you can easily keep the shots on a sheet of paper at 75'
I have noticed zero hammer follow issues as far as stoppages go with >500 rounds down range.
I would say as far as stoppages go, 95% is a casing stuck in the action and the other 5% 22LR dead in the chamber with a good strike.
I have tried my hardest to run out the trigger.  I end up with brass stuck in the action, a dud round, or most likely an empty mag.

62GN SS-109 5.56 military ball ammo causes my gun to want to climb or pop out of my girly grip on rapid fire.
Obviously this happens in semi as well, I was just dealing with it.
For me, shooting faster than just a double tap (which I could keep on a standard b-29 target) is not going to be very effective/precise at any reasonable distance unless you use a shoot, hold, release technique.
So I have not shot this round nearly fast enough to warrant any type of hammer follow issue...
I just did not feel confident enough to let loose at the local indoor range.
I will be playing around with some buffer options to attempt to soften the recoil so that I may try to shoot faster for longer "bursts" rather than only a double tap.
As far as the double tap goes, I just don't think any trigger is going to be as fast (at least in my hands) as the BFS III.
Zero hammer follow issues with double taps.

I do also have a CMMG RDB 9mm AR setup, but I didn't want to swap the trigger around to another lower, so that AAR will have to wait until the Endo Mean mags come in...

In summary, I have found the BFS III to be a big win.
I may end up with another if I can afford the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Both Franklin and Fostech need work before I'd buy either, and yes, I LOVE the concept! I wouldn't feel secure taking a dump in the woods with the Echo. Absolutely retarded using MiM.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
My son-law has one on his 300 blk sbr. It's fun to do mag dumps with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the forum eszyman
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Initial impression, and as others have noted, the safety selector sticks out farther then I would like from the side of the receiver.
I also do not like the feel of the actual switch at all.
The mil-spec switch is what I want both in looks and feel.
I feel like I can just "flick" the mil-spec selector from safe to semi and then back and it doesn't want to gouge my thumb.
The BFS selector does interface with the trigger when going to binary mode so there will be some drag (meaning you may need more leverage) and this I suspect is the reason a mil-spec selector is not provided.
I knew all of this going in, but I thought I would mention it just in case Franklin Armory is looking for feedback when coming out with later versions or options that would sell.
I did not know going in that the edges of the switch would be so ghoulish, needing to feed on flesh and all, honestly just poor ergonomics IMHO.  (I know ...I know, but I take pride in my baby soft hands!)
View Quote
I have NONE of those issues with my BFS III. The trigger is and works perfect on two of my ARs I have them installed on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Controlling a binary is like controlling a machinegun.  Quite a bit comes back to stance.  Muzzle brakes can help as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know some good Anti-Rotation Pins for the BFS III like KNS, would they work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know some good Anti-Rotation Pins for the BFS III like KNS, would they work?
View Quote
KNS should work fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
KNS should work fine.
View Quote
As they say in German, Gracia's me Amigo. Thanks buddy!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both Franklin and Fostech need work before I'd buy either, and yes, I LOVE the concept! I wouldn't feel secure taking a dump in the woods with the Echo. Absolutely retarded using MiM.
View Quote
I already had one stop working that was replaced by Fostech.  It concerns me enough that I will probably sell at least one of mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
How did it stop working?
Like the trigger no longer functions??

I've seen issues with the selector being forced to safe with the hammer down... again a selector issue haha
I don't like how far my selector goes over in that condition and I could see several of "my range buddies" forcing it over not knowing that which kinda makes me worry.

Maybe the selector could have a better feel if I had some kinda high dolla roller ball detent to allow for nice slick switching, but my other selectors don't seem to need that...  
I mean it's definitely not a deal breaker or anything like that, it would just be nice to be on par with other selector solutions
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Welcome to the forum eszyman
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
KNS should work fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KNS should work fine.
They do.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top