Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2023 4:46:14 PM EDT
So I have plenty of 5.56's and decided to see if I could turn mine into a 300 blackout.

Handguard was easy, 2 torx screws.

The long barrel nut was kind of strange, but I kept going. The gas black is set in place with 2 roll pins that came out easy.

Trigger pin for size comparison.

Also the barrel was milled very differently than any ar-15 barrel I have ever seen. Here is some of the strange milling.

Never seen a gas block with a hole on the top.

The gas block was on so tight I had to remove the barrel nut and gas tube first, then had to hammer the it off with a gunsmith hammer.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I went to install the barrel nut. Apparently since they went with an unusual gas block setup they didn't need the barrel nut to have a normal inside diameter, so they didn't. The inside diameter is barely larger than .750. So now I'm stuck with some decisions.

So here is my problem, I was going to buy a new barrel nut that would fit over the barrel and inside the handguard, but I can't find one, The outside diameter is 1 5/16" and most companies don't list there barrel nut OD. And it's definitely not a standard size. My only other options are mill the barrel down or mill the inside of the nut I have.

Some pics of receiver

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Think you shoulda picked a different gun for this project
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I can always put it back together, I was just curious if it could be done.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Call the original manufacturer and see if they offer barrels in the caliber you want.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
They don't and I have been in contact with them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They don't and I have been in contact with them.
View Quote

Can you find a barrel company willing to re-chamber, drill out and re-rifle the original barrel?
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
That seems like a lot of work and money when I can just mill down a hump on the barrel I have.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if you could buy a spare FM barrel nut, you can’t bore it out any more than those two, giant “o-ring groove” depths allow. Turning the blackout barrel to match the FM barrel profile forward of the barrel extension is an easy operation if you have access to a lathe. Not sure if you need to do that before milling those flats into the taper, maybe not. Plenty of cheap blackout barrels to try that on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Their barrels use a taper lock system on the barrel nut. Heres a few videos under the hood/video on features/improvements they tried to make.

The NEW GEN 2 MIKE15 (How it works)

Next video is long but super informative

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the taper on the 300 barrel match the original barrel?
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
almost certainly not
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Geez this disassembly process almost makes me want to buy one. Looks like some heavy duty stuff
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
That's what I thought too. I am impressed by it
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:27:38 AM EDT
[#13]
You could just call the company and ask their engineers. I mean you've totally blown your warranty, hell they might find it interesting and help.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Hopefully, they'll offer the 9" pistol in 300BLK.
Otherwise, I'm tempted to buy the 223 version and have a barrel made.
Would make a nifty SBR with a SIG folding & telescoping stock, and be shorter, lighter, and less expensive than an MCX.
Hope this stays out of archive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#15]
BTT.
Going to check about a custom barrel.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#16]
This is easier then you think.  I have done a few with 7.5 inch barrels and one with a 5 inch barrel in 7.62x39. You just need  to machine down the diameter of the gas block shoulder on the barrel, I just used my bench grinder just rolled the barrel in the opposite direction of the grinding wheel for a few minutes. This works really well, then the barrel  will pass right through the barrel nut. If your doing a rifle length  build no need to cut the handguard. If doing  a pistol lenth build the 11.5 inch uppers handguard can be cut down enough to run a 8 inch barrel and put a suppressor on it to do a 7.5 in barrel  the 9 inch uppers handguard  can be cut down. I am not a gunsmith jus/a firearm enthusiast that taught myself how to do all my own work. I am doing another This weekend for a friend. Here's Pick of my 7.5 inch 7.62x39 foxtrot mike upper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is easier then you think.  I have done a few with 7.5 inch barrels and one with a 5 inch barrel in 7.62x39. You just need  to machine down the diameter of the gas block shoulder on the barrel, I just used my bench grinder just rolled the barrel in the opposite direction of the grinding wheel for a few minutes. This works really well, then the barrel  will pass right through the barrel nut. If your doing a rifle length  build no need to cut the handguard. If doing  a pistol lenth build the 11.5 inch uppers handguard can be cut down enough to run a 8 inch barrel and put a suppressor on it to do a 7.5 in barrel  the 9 inch uppers handguard  can be cut down. I am not a gunsmith jus/a firearm enthusiast that taught myself how to do all my own work. I am doing another This weekend for a friend. Here's Pick of my 7.5 inch 7.62x39 foxtrot mike upper.https://photos.app.goo.gl/h9ckPieJZzt1umwW6
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is easier then you think.  I have done a few with 7.5 inch barrels and one with a 5 inch barrel in 7.62x39. You just need  to machine down the diameter of the gas block shoulder on the barrel, I just used my bench grinder just rolled the barrel in the opposite direction of the grinding wheel for a few minutes. This works really well, then the barrel  will pass right through the barrel nut. If your doing a rifle length  build no need to cut the handguard. If doing  a pistol lenth build the 11.5 inch uppers handguard can be cut down enough to run a 8 inch barrel and put a suppressor on it to do a 7.5 in barrel  the 9 inch uppers handguard  can be cut down. I am not a gunsmith jus/a firearm enthusiast that taught myself how to do all my own work. I am doing another This weekend for a friend. Here's Pick of my 7.5 inch 7.62x39 foxtrot mike upper.https://photos.app.goo.gl/h9ckPieJZzt1umwW6
View Quote

What about the taper at the chamber end?
Also, what gas blocks have you used?
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

@snaketac

Question 1:

Would a different (ie pencil) barrel profile be better or worse than the standard Gvt profile barrels you’re reprofiling?

Question 2: I’m assuming you swapped the bolt out to run 7.62x39, could you do say…5.45 and use the new Mike 102 lowers for a 5.45 AR that uses -74 mags?  Probably with mods to lower if some sort but doable?

Question 3:  with a light tough and dremel, how doable would this be?  To do the barrel reprofiling for say .300BO?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What about the taper at the chamber end?
Also, what gas blocks have you used?
View Quote

The taper on the barrel nut I assume is what you mean and that's! non-issue, it still tightens down like a standard barrel nut on a regular barrel.

As for gas blocks I've used a few different micro blocks that attach with set screws. If you go with an adjustable one just make sure it's no taller than a standard micro gas block so it doesn't interfere with the op rod.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@snaketac

Question 1:

Would a different (ie pencil) barrel profile be better or worse than the standard Gvt profile barrels you’re reprofiling?

Question 2: I’m assuming you swapped the bolt out to run 7.62x39, could you do say…5.45 and use the new Mike 102 lowers for a 5.45 AR that uses -74 mags?  Probably with mods to lower if some sort but doable?

Question 3:  with a light tough and dremel, how doable would this be?  To do the barrel reprofiling for say .300BO?
View Quote

1. I don't think a pencil barrel would make any difference, from what I've seen all barrels have to high of a shoulder behind the gas block.

2. If 5.45 bolt fits in a standard AR15 carrier it will fit in the FM carrier. I don't now about the mike 102 lowers, I thought about buying one to see if I could get it to take standard AK mags , but I'm gonna just wait for their 7.62

3. A 300BO would be just as easy as any other barrel. I was going to do that next but I built a rattler instead.

Good luck with your project. Tim...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The taper on the barrel nut I assume is what you mean and that's! non-issue, it still tightens down like a standard barrel nut on a regular barrel.

As for gas blocks I've used a few different micro blocks that attach with set screws. If you go with an adjustable one just make sure it's no taller than a standard micro gas block so it doesn't interfere with the op rod.
View Quote

Does this mean it tightens down on the collar, not just the taper if it's smaller?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Does this mean it tightens down on the collar, not just the taper if it's smaller?
View Quote

Yes, exactly!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, exactly!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, exactly!!

Awesome!
This makes things SO much easier...
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I see different charging handle locations on the same length uppers.
The idea of a 7.5" 300 BLK is very appealing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
If you start with the 9" upper you can cut the handguard short enough to run a 6.5" 300BO barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you start with the 9" upper you can cut the handguard short enough to run a 6.5" 300BO barrel.
View Quote

My OCD wouldn't tolerate any cuts into slots.
Already have 6" and 8" 300 BLK SBRs.
The folding stock on a FM-15 would be the big advantage for fitting in a bag.
I figure 9" with folder would be real close to my 6" PDW.
The new ammo from SIG should be pretty good in a 7.5" as it was designed for 6.75".
Someday...

ETA: I see it now! The fixed gas 9" slots line up...
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#28]
BTT
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top