User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Forward Controls Design (Page 1 of 32)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 32
Posted: 12/6/2020 11:48:40 PM EDT
Hi everyone, lately I’ve noticed an uptick in people praising FCD and the bits they manufacture. I’m wondering if this praise is worth it. They seem to make very slick looking parts and charge a premium for them. They also have a spiffy logo, which seems to draw the AR crowd! Are they flavor of the month or the real deal?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Totally worth it. Roger Wang makes really great stuffs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
They are G2G... but you can absolutely get comparable quality for less.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
FCD is legit.

Roger runs a tight ship for sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Willingness to pay is by definition subjective. Their quality is beyond dispute and they intentionally prioritize function over form.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:55:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The FCD bolt catch is magical
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jonny1904:
Totally worth it. Roger Wang makes really great stuffs.
View Quote

This.

Well thought out parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I can’t say enough good things about Roger and FCD.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
The FCD bolt catch is magical
View Quote

FCD small parts are as good as they get.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy one and find out.

Otherwise, enjoy your Glock MOS plate w/ no front/rear fencing that will eventually shear your RMR mounting bolts off.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had FCD parts since they hit the market. The more they release, the more I buy - I now have a 12.5 that is completely built out with FCD products aside from a Hodge barrel and KAC 3 prong. Roger is extremely deliberate in every design and material aspect. You can get stuff that may work just as well for you, but I believe his parts have no equal.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I love their stuff and the quality exceeds my expectations. I have their parts on several ARs and now they make RMR plates for the Glock too.

Well worth the money for sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#14]
i like their stuff, its gucci parts, and i love gucci parts
everything ive bought has been great quality, great finish and works as advertised.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, yes they are.

Chad

School of the American Rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Roger is awesome, and his products are amazing. FCD is hands down my favorite small parts company.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
Really nice stuff.

Selector, forward assist, and port cover are all FCD on this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47980/FullSizeRender-1607296.jpg
View Quote

That 3rd pin..
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
The only lower parts I’m not buying from FCD for my pistol build are the trigger and selector.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I dont own any FCD, but I did ask a question on their website one evening and within 5 minutes I had an email answer...so that is not bad....I have emailed other companies and never got an answer....

If I was not buying Radian, I would be buying FCD for sure.  I am so deep in Radian and my OCD will not let me out of the room

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#21]
If FCD makes it I’m buying it. Period.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
They ship fast too.

Now if they would just get the neutral bias BHO back in stock so I could order it....

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#23]
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

Many of you remember the company I co-founded in 2009 which I left in late 2014 to start FCD.

From day one, all I wanted was to keep my head down and do what I'd been doing in my previous gig, I wanted to make a difference to folks that use their firearms for defense, and duty, as a tool.  Our products, website, and logo all reflect the subtle, moderate, all business and no drama or flash philosophy.  Shiny trinkets don't help users, designs that facilitate already proficient users and make them more so by intelligent design does.  

Our logo (Cygnus) is meant to be simple and not calling attention to itself, I didn't want it to be in anyone face that shouts "look at me!"  Our products are designed and made for work, not for show.  The simple and elegant design language applies to all our products, function over form, and form follows function.

Our products are expensive, not because we can (probably) command it. Made in the USA with all US sourced material isn't cheap, not that I'd use patriotism as a reason to sell things, even though it is one of the biggest reasons we do everything in the US, you can feel good about that we contract US shops, who in turn employee fellow Americans.  Profit goes to the good American people deserving of your support, not foreign countries, especially not ones hostile to America.   FCD is an R&D shop, we contract all of our products to competent and honest shops around the country to produce, many of them in TX where we're moving to in a week.  

We go into great detail on each products origin, material, and coating, you can see we over build where it benefits the users, and ignore things that we deem unimportant (our opinion) like light weight and aesthetics.  So happens purpose built hardware usually looks pretty good, I can assure you we spend maybe 1% of the R&D on the design's looks, we usually just let the functions dictate how the final product looks.  Aesthetics is nice, but ultimately doesn't do anything important for the user.

We're grateful for our customers and shops we partner with, thank you guys for your friendship and support
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Roger is great. He makes quality products and you would be hard pressed to find a company with faster order processing and customer service.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I like to call him Uncle Roger. :)
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
They make some great stuff. I like ‘em
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll send you fried rice recipe

I take the chance whenever possible to credit Chad Albrecht of SOTAR for the improvements we did on our castle nuts.  Chad, you'd be happy to know we gauge every one of the CNFs coming off the Swiss machines, no spot checking, but every one, to ensure they pass class 3 gauge.

We don't do many a thing folks ask of us, sometimes it's just out of our core competencies or unrelated to our mission.  Advice from Chad isn't something one should ignore, we didn't, and we have a superior product in so doing.

We make everything in small batches, we don't MIM or cast anything, the downside (expensive) is easily offset by our ability to quickly make changes as needed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey Roger- Love the products

Awesome news to hear you are leaving commie California and heading to a free state

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

Many of you remember the company I co-founded in 2009 which I left in late 2014 to start FCD.

From day one, all I wanted was to keep my head down and do what I'd been doing in my previous gig, I wanted to make a difference to folks that use their firearms for defense, and duty, as a tool.  Our products, website, and logo all reflect the subtle, moderate, all business and no garnishment or flash philosophy.  Shiny trinkets don't help users, designs that facilitate already proficient users and make them more so by intelligent design does.  

Our logo (Cygnus) is meant to be simple and not calling attention to itself, I didn't want it to be in anyone face that shouts "look at me!"  Our products are designed and made for work, not for show.  The simple and elegant design language applies to all our products, function over form, and form follows function.

Our products are expensive, not because we can (probably) command it. Made in the USA with all US sourced material isn't cheap, not that I'd use patriotism as a reason to sell things, even though it is one of the biggest reasons we do everything in the US, you can feel good about that we contract US shops, who in turn employee fellow Americans.  Profit goes to the good American people deserving of your support, not foreign countries, especially not ones hostile to America.   FCD is an R&D shop, we contract all of our products to competent and honest shops around the country to produce, many of them in TX where we're moving to in a week.  

We go into great detail on each products origin, material, and coating, you can see we over build where it benefits the users, and ignore things that we deem unimportant (our opinion) like light weight and aesthetics.  So happens purpose built hardware usually looks pretty good, I can assure you we spend maybe 1% of the R&D on the design's looks, we usually just let the functions dictate how the final product looks.  Aesthetics is nice, but ultimately doesn't do anything important for the user.

We're grateful for our customers and shops we partner with, thank you guys for your friendship and support
View Quote

Nice!

Where in TX are you moving to?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Midlothian

Folks at SOLGW and HDSI would like us to go further south (San Antonio) but my wife has family in Dallas, so we opted for something like we have in CA, out of the big city but still close enough to access all the services afforded by big cities.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Midlothian

Folks at SOLGW and HDSI would like us to go further south (San Antonio) but my wife has family in Dallas, so we opted for something like we have in CA, out of the big city but still close enough to access all the services afforded by big cities.
View Quote

Congrats on the move and keep up the good work!

I enjoy getting packages from the Well Trained Shipping Monkey.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#32]
I love FCD stuff.

I just wish the mag buttons were available in OD & tan and that the tan EPC & tan trigger guards I have weren’t so whitish-tan.

And I wish I could/would have bought more ABC v1 & v2.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#33]
New FDE EPCs will be the new FDE we've been using with TGF since summer this year

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#34]
EPC will both be the new FDE we've been using with TGF since summer this year

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/781/Capture_JPG-1719828.JPG
View Quote

Oh I’m gonna be all over that.

And for the record the light tan stuff works 100%.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi Roger,

It seems like you are deserving of all the praise you get! I’m happy you’re not the latest fad to come into the AR market. I’m admittedly new to the platform, so I don’t have too much background into its history regarding parts suppliers. Anyways, expect an additional order sometime soon!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TSpork:

That 3rd pin..
View Quote

Cola Warrior CEO pay allows you those type of perks
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, 1000% worth it. Superb parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#39]
Thank you

I consider fads, either creating or following them, to be a poor business model.  The difference between a white shirt with pin stripes vs a plain white shirt isn't a functional one, it's aesthetics, or fashion.  Fashions change, folks that chase after the quick buck fads offer either create or follow them till the fads die, and another begin, so goes the cycle.

The biggest problem is many of these trends aren't created for the user's benefit.  That said, some are decidedly huge steps forward, red dot sights on pistols, for instance, is changing things for the better.  Others like chasing an arbitrary weight, are far less so.

So we make things we want and use, they're not flashy, they're made for work, not for show, and we rarely get noticed by publications and influencers.  Instead, we're known in some circle for doing what we believe to be the right things for the users, and we're content with that, we're proud also grateful to be able to serve those difference makers, the ones that carry firearms for duty and defense of their loved ones, those that serve our nation, federal and local governments and communities.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By everready73:
Hey Roger- Love the products

Awesome news to hear you are leaving commie California and heading to a free state

View Quote

Making good stuff is good, getting the Eff out of CA even better !
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Thank you

I consider fads, either creating or following them, to be a poor business model.  The difference between a white shirt with pin stripes vs a plain white shirt isn't a functional one, it's aesthetics, or fashion.  Fashions change, folks that chase after the quick buck fads offer either create or follow them till the fads die, and another begin, so goes the cycle.

The biggest problem is many of these trends aren't created for the user's benefit.  That said, some are decidedly huge steps forward, red dot sights on pistols, for instance, is changing things for the better.  Others like chasing an arbitrary weight, are far less so.

So we make things we want and use, they're not flashy, they're made for work, not for show, and we rarely get noticed by publications and influencers.  Instead, we're known in some circle for doing what we believe to be the right things for the users, and we're content with that, we're proud also grateful to be able to serve those difference makers, the ones that carry firearms for duty and defense of their loved ones, those that serve our nation, federal and local governments and communities.
View Quote
And just like that, I am convinced to buy from you again, after I recover from the holidays

RHF in 13.7, couple of LPD's, and a few more EPC's will be what I'm after
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Midlothian

View Quote

@Duffy

Moving company, machining, shipping, the whole shooting match out of CA to TX?

That sounds good

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#43]
We don't own or run machines, most of the shops that make our products for us are in TX, some in CA, MI, OR and SC.  The business and family are moving and taking all of our assets to TX
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#44]
We don't own or run machines, most of the shops that make our products for us are in TX, some in CA, MI, OR and SC.  The business and family are moving and taking all of our assets to TX
View Quote
Best of luck with the move to greener, freer pastures! I applaud FCD's focus on performance and aesthetic modesty (it's almost stoic in its design) over branding.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Our logo (Cygnus) is meant to be simple and not calling attention to itself, I didn't want it to be in anyone face that shouts "look at me!"
View Quote

You must be into astronomy? Make any telescope stuff?

BTW, just got some cam pins.  

B
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Impeccable timing on this thread. I was just considering purchasing a handguard. Now I can buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, they're Gucci.  Yes, they're pricey.

I dare you to order a part and use it and not think "yeah, that's nice."
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Yes, they're Gucci.  Yes, they're pricey.

I dare you to order a part and use it and not think "yeah, that's nice."
View Quote

I recently needed a new castle nut and wasn't happy with the ones I had.  Found it on sale for just a couple bucks more than anyone else's run of the mill castle nut so figured I'd try it out.  It's a really nice castle nut.  Unfortunately that lead to a whole box of FCD stuff.

The bolt catch was the hardest for me to justify when I like ones such as the $10 POF, but I finally broke down and ordered one.  The forward assist without the rim on it should be a pretty drastic upgrade, as I've tried to rip fingernails off in the past.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MDGunSmith:
Yes, yes they are.

Chad

View Quote

Good to see you here!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MDGunSmith:
Yes, yes they are.

Chad

View Quote

Chad!  Keep pumpin out the Youtube vids man! Love your stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 1 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top