AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh. 26 years in the Army, beaucoup 5.56mm put down range from M16A1, M16A2, M4, and M4A1. I never saw a FA break or jam a rifle but have used it on occasion. I guess the OP is smarter than DOD.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen thousands and thousands of M16s (both A2s and A4s) and M4s shot over the course of my military career (20 years USMC active and reserve).   I've seen a lesser number of rounds fired through AR15 rifles as a law enforcement fire arms instructor.  I've also fired thousands of rounds through my own personal rifles.  I own a variety of brands.

Never seen that roll pin break.

Not saying it can't because it clearly can.  However, like all other isolated incidents, this is an isolated incident that is not indicative of a problem with having a forward assist.

I have seen rifles that didn't want to chamber due to dirt or sand and carbon but a quick hit of the forward assist fixed that.  Using rifles in a military operational environment will tend to do that.  Try carrying a rifle in the desert while riding in the back of a vehicle.  Both you and your rifle will get sand in places you didn't know existed.

I like rifles with forward assists and all mine currently have them and will have them.

A data point of a couple rifles when there are literally many millions of AR15 pattern rifles out there is pretty silly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If a failure rate of 1 in a million was adequate justification to stop making that and stop using that, we'd have NOTHING LEFT.

Tires? Oh, sometimes they just fail.  Let's stop using them.  My engine stopped running.  Let's walk instead.   The power's out!   No more electricity for me!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Meh.....parts break. Guns jam. Shit happens.

Who was the manufacturer?
I’ve never had a single issue with a fwd assist. Don’t think I’ll be afraid of having one on a rifle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So would that be the same DOD as the one in the sixties that set out to deliberately sabotage the M-16 platform by using ball powder instead of IMR powder, even after both Stoner and Colt stated the calcium carbonate in the ball powder would result in malfunctions?

THAT DOD???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. 26 years in the Army, beaucoup 5.56mm put down range from M16A1, M16A2, M4, and M4A1. I never saw a FA break or jam a rifle but have used it on occasion. I guess the OP is smarter than DOD.
So would that be the same DOD as the one in the sixties that set out to deliberately sabotage the M-16 platform by using ball powder instead of IMR powder, even after both Stoner and Colt stated the calcium carbonate in the ball powder would result in malfunctions?

THAT DOD???
Pretty sure the people who were around in the 60s are no longer in the DOD.  Do you disagree with that?

The poster you quote also is not speaking for the DOD.  He's speaking from personal experience.  Tell us about your military experience.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If a failure rate of 1 in a million was adequate justification to stop making that and stop using that, we'd have NOTHING LEFT.

Tires? Oh, sometimes they just fail.  Let's stop using them.  My engine stopped running.  Let's walk instead.   The power's out!   No more electricity for me!
View Quote
This.

In spite of the fact that forward assists VERY seldom fail, I did see a few hammer springs break with M16A2s.  Shut those rifles down.  Guess we should stop using hammer springs too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Beans or no beans.................
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yet, it HAPPENED!
View Quote
One time out of 11,456,765,789 times.

Get outta here with this troll stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are PLENTY of reasons for not having/using a Forward Assist, this just adds to the list.
View Quote
In your opinion you forgot to add.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Says the N00b with 100 posts
View Quote
No, says common sense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a simple conclusion to this ongoing discussion that is going no where.

If you want one, then get one.

If you don't like the FA, don't get one

But every time this subject comes up, it is just a repeat of the last dozen times it came up!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have no idea what this "N00b's" experience is so his 100 post number is irrelevant.  A person's time here on this site is not relevant to his/her knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because everyone knows that obsession with online gun forums and post count directly correlates with actual firearms knowledge and overall intelligence.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
“Do not make comments about other members lack of posts or time on the site. There are very experienced military personnel and law enforcement officers who only post here once in awhile. If you think someone is making false statements about their experience or background please contact a moderator. This has been a problem in the past and will be dealt with.”
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Shit just got interesting. Is a moderator going to get pee pee slapped by another moderator? Tune in shortly to find out.

At least I think Pursuit is a mod...somewhere on this site.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Another forward assist is evil thread...

Please let it go. If you don't want a forward assist then don't have one.

I've used them and have never had one fail. I'll keep it. You are just as likely to have any other freak failure, and far more likely to have one of MANY more common failures.
View Quote
This.  I have them on some and not on others  Just depends on the purpose of the build and what I can find for a good deal.

Just one of those things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread has led me to think it may make sense to remove the pawl from the FA.

1.  Granted it is a one in a million occurrence, but why invite Murphy to the party.

2.  The bolt can be moved forward with your thumb, so losing the FA does not eliminate the ability to resolve a out of battery situation.

3.  It is not necessary to pay $40-50 to replace the FA with a fake one.  All it take is to knock out one pin.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one break but it happened when I let a noob shoot it and he was riding the FA with his thumb.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Staff issue.
Bad call on posting that response.
View Quote
Mine or his? Both?
Quoted:
This thread has led me to think it may make sense to remove the pawl from the FA.

1.  Granted it is a one in a million occurrence, but why invite Murphy to the party.

2.  The bolt can be moved forward with your thumb, so losing the FA does not eliminate the ability to resolve a out of battery situation.

3.  It is not necessary to pay $40-50 to replace the FA with a fake one.  All it take is to knock out one pin.

Am I missing something?
View Quote
Nope you pretty much nailed it. Forward assist threads are literally monkeys flinging poo at each other. Nobody is going to be converted from the other side because nobody wants to listen to each other. Just want to hear themselves talk.

In this case with it being a brand new upper with a never touched forward assist, its quite obvious to deduce this was due to a defective roll pin. So if somebody walks away from this thread thinking forward assists suck....well I don't know what to tell them. There's no fixing that train of thought.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?
View Quote
It is not hard to do, I have seen many different ways to plug the FA hole, one of the favorites in my area is to cut off a shell casing to the right length and put it in there, I believe most of the guys around here use a 30-30 shell to make a plug.  You can knock the retaining pin out of the pawl and install it, but again, there is lots of ways to plug that hole and not run a risk of anything interfering if you are so inclined.

That said, every single one of these forward assist threads ends up exactly the same!

Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
His. Tech threads are turning fuckey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine or his? Both?
His. Tech threads are turning fuckey.
Definitely. I am guilty of so in threads like these as well, simply because I know there's no real tech discussion that's going to be had in certain threads. Every 9 vs 45 thread, every forward assist thread, every HK 416 thread.....poo flinging contests. Anyways ill try to add something of value after this post if at all possible
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
If you have ever caught a fingernail on a forward assist, these things are worth it. Forward Controls Design makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you have ever caught a fingernail on a forward assist, these things are worth it. Forward Controls Design makes good stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You didn't think I paid 4x the price just because it looks Gucci, did you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Choice of thread title set the tone....
View Quote
Yep, I was browsing Active Topics and thought this was in GD.  I never realized it was in Tech until your post.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And yet countless A1s, A2s, A4s, mk18s, mk12s, m4s, m4a1s (etc.) being wielded (or having been wielded) by grunts and POGs are chugging (or did chug) along.

Not even going to mention countless more civilian ARs.
View Quote
Never in 25 yrs of service have a ever seen a forward assist fail.

CSB
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Choice of thread title set the tone....
View Quote
Absolutely.  I saw it when it was first posted, and just settled in for the ride.  I have made the mistake of posting in FA threads before, and they ALL end up the same.

Total shitshow.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Having carried a weapon with a forward assist in some extremely austere environments and having seen private snuffy treat them like shit for over a year at a time in said austere environments I feel comfortable keeping my forward assist.

Thanks for the concern though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, says common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, says common sense.
When people have an average of 50 post per day over the last 10 years you have to question their personal life or lack there of. But, they are the GODs of arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never in 25 yrs of service have a ever seen a forward assist fail.

CSB
View Quote
That means we agree, right? The CSB is throwing me off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I think they're unnecessary for sure, but an AR-15 looks weird without one now. This is such a remote possibility though that I don't really care.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've used them and have never had one fail. I'll keep it. You are just as likely to have any other freak failure, and far more likely to have one of MANY more common failures.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly and we don't plan our gun around these more likely scenarios either.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top