Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2020 8:53:51 AM EDT
Hey everyone, so my wife is getting me a DD MK18 pistol for my 40th birthday. I'm going to put an MRO on it but I still want some flip up BUIS. Any suggestions outside of KAC? I have some Magpul MBUS in a box but I think they're not really suitable for a DD.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Borbo makes a nice low profile set.

The Bobro Engineering LowRider sights are designed from the start to be an extremely low profile set of BUIS for a specific purpose. Many Short Barreled Rifle owners have run into an issue with figuring out how to mount a set of BUIS on the upper and still fit their needed Lights, Lasers and Optics. The idea was to make it so that the Rear Sight was so low profile that there was almost no possible way it could interfere with optics and the Front Sight could easily be mounted under the front arm of the optic mount. This keeps them out of the way, but can still be used in the even the primary optic has a failure.

Even though these sights were designed to fill a specific need, they can still be used on a full size rifle in traditional BUIS positions as shown below. The LowRider sights still maintain all of the adjustability of a standard set of BUIS such as Windage and Elevation and lock in place when flipped up. Just press the button on the side to release them and they lay flat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
So does Spikes. Their micro sights.

They are installed on this SBR:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
kac front / matech or kac rear

It is the way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why not KAC?
With it being a pistol and adding an MRO, I get that being “clone correct” isn’t your primary goal, but the KAC sights are pretty much top tier clone or not.
View Quote
I definitely agree that KAC is the way to go, I am just looking for cheaper options that will do a DD some justice. And yes, cloning is not my primary goal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Mbus pros are great too and super low profile. Way better than plastic mbus.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I definitely agree that KAC is the way to go, I am just looking for cheaper options that will do a DD some justice. And yes, cloning is not my primary goal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not KAC?
With it being a pistol and adding an MRO, I get that being “clone correct” isn’t your primary goal, but the KAC sights are pretty much top tier clone or not.
I took my time and scored my last couple sets of KACs used on the EE. They can be found pretty readily @ or a little under $200 for a set. If I weren’t doing that, I usually just go Troy, though the MBUS Pros are popular too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had just about every kind there are but I just keep going back to the old magpul plastic ones. If I wanted them as primary my opinion may change.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Because DD is sooooo high end?

My top 5 sights:
1. KAC
2. Magpul Mbus Pro
3. See #2
4. See #3
5. See #4
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Seconded. I got a DD MK18 pistol and actually put the Midwest Industries Combat sights on it.

Quoted:
That wasn't the question. Keep GD to GD. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seconded. I got a DD MK18 pistol and actually put the Midwest Industries Combat sights on it.

That wasn't the question. Keep GD to GD. Thanks!
View Quote
I didn't even catch that earlier. Lol. What a douche
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ll be the odd man out, there’s nothing wrong with the MBUS you currently have.

Unless you just have to have something different, any of the other options mentioned aren’t going to provide you with anything much different than what you already own.  You certainly won’t notice a performance or durability increase.

I know, MBUS don’t look “tier juan,” but I say put that money towards something else.  WML, sling, new trigger, more ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ll be the odd man out, there’s nothing wrong with the MBUS you currently have.

Unless you just have to have something different, any of the other options mentioned aren’t going to provide you with anything much different than what you already own.  You certainly won’t notice a performance or durability increase.

I know, MBUS don’t look “tier juan,” but I say put that money towards something else.  WML, sling, new trigger, more ammo, etc.
View Quote
I agree with all of this. The input I requested is really for aesthetic purposes. More of a question about what will keep my new weapon from looking like a shame for putting tier tew parts on a tier juan pistol. Lol

I do really dig the MBUS PROs. After I add the MRO, a Geissele SSA trigger, an Inforce WML, and a Vickers sling, I'll add the PROs. In the meantime, the regular ol plastic MBUS will serve their purpose. The $200 SBR stamp will tighten up the package and maybe, MAYBE, someday a can to top it off.

Thanks to everyone who had something value-added to contribute!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been looking at BUIS for an 11.5 incher I recently picked up. The 1.5 MOA adjustment per click on the Midway Industries sights seems like a deal breaker to me. The Bobro sights looked really nice till I noticed there was only a single hinge point. It seems like a hinge on each side would make for a more robust sight. The single hinge would always make me wonder if it got knocked around. I think I have my choice narrowed down to the MBUS Pros or the newer Geissele BUIS. Wish I could see them mounted on a rail in person.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Griffin m2 (if rail is solid between pic slots)
Spikes are nice as well. They have a very thin sp
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My top 5 sights:
1. KAC
2. Magpul Mbus Pro
3. See #2
4. See #3
5. See #4
View Quote
???This is the right and only answer. ???
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Check out ARMS #40 rear or their combo ..... they’ve been The Real Deal hard core sights longer than Anything else listed here in this thread.... Not the least $$$$ by a long shot but Extremely well made.   Just exquisite craftsmanship

H
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been looking at BUIS for an 11.5 incher I recently picked up. The 1.5 MOA adjustment per click on the Midway Industries sights seems like a deal breaker to me. The Bobro sights looked really nice till I noticed there was only a single hinge point. It seems like a hinge on each side would make for a more robust sight. The single hinge would always make me wonder if it got knocked around. I think I have my choice narrowed down to the MBUS Pros or the newer Geissele BUIS. Wish I could see them mounted on a rail in person.
View Quote
@ 1.5 MOA adjustments, you’d be <.75” from a perfect zero @ 100. Unless these sights are being used at Camp Perry, I don’t foresee you having any issues.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@ 1.5 MOA adjustments, you’d be <.75” from a perfect zero @ 100. Unless these sights are being used at Camp Perry, I don’t foresee you having any issues.
View Quote
People usually tend to want to ZERO their rifle. Not +/- .75" their rifle. The industry standard that I have noticed on all other BUIS is .5" adjustments, not 1.5". I just thought I would point that out to the OP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
People usually tend to want to ZERO their rifle. Not +/- .75" their rifle. The industry standard that I have noticed on all other BUIS is .5" adjustments, not 1.5". I just thought I would point that out to the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can even discern which backup iron sights are 0.5” off @ 100, you’re a lot better shooter than I’ll ever be.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure where you get 1.5 MOA from?

From Midwest Industries website for the rear sight: Rifle .5 MOA / Carbine .65 MOA click adjustments

1.5 MOA is for the Midwest Industries FRONT sight is quite normal. Magpul Pro front sight is 1 MOA per click. On an A2 FSB sight it's 1.25 MOA per click. On Magpul polymer sights it is 1.6 MOA per click.

Where on earth do you get that industry standard for front sights is 0.5 MOA per click???
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I didn't even catch that earlier. Lol. What a douche
View Quote
How is he a douche for an accurate answer? Daniel Defense is mil spec nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How is he a douche for an accurate answer? Daniel Defense is mil spec nothing more.
View Quote
1. The OP stated his wife was getting him a DD MK18 pistol. The question was about what flip up sights he should get.
2. Milspec, but Daniel Defense also have military issue products (ie the RIS II rail). That's generally a positive sign of quality, especially given who uses the MK18 in the US military.
3. Whether or not DD is "high end" is an irrelevant subject in a thread where the OP is inquiring on FLIP SIGHTS. By making a GD off tangent statement, he is a douche.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1. The OP stated his wife was getting him a DD MK18 pistol. The question was about what flip up sights he should get.
2. Milspec, but Daniel Defense also have military issue products (ie the RIS II rail). That's generally a positive sign of quality, especially given who uses the MK18 in the US military.
3. Whether or not DD is "high end" is an irrelevant subject in a thread where the OP is inquiring on FLIP SIGHTS. By making a GD off tangent statement, he is a douche.
View Quote
Not really off tangent IMO, I read it as him saying that basically the MBUS would work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#30]
If not the KAC BUIS then the KAC Micro BUIS.  Everything else is for the birds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My top 5 sights:
1. KAC
2. Magpul Mbus Pro
3. See #2
4. See #3
5. See #4
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Check out ARMS #40 rear or their combo ..... they’ve been The Real Deal hard core sights longer than Anything else listed here in this thread.... Not the least $$$$ by a long shot but Extremely well made.   Just exquisite craftsmanship

H
View Quote
Numrich and CDNN have been clearing out 40L sights for like $60-ish
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

From Midwest Industries website for the rear sight: Rifle .5 MOA / Carbine .65 MOA click adjustments

1.5 MOA is for the Midwest Industries FRONT sight is quite normal. Magpul Pro front sight is 1 MOA per click. On an A2 FSB sight it's 1.25 MOA per click. On Magpul polymer sights it is 1.6 MOA per click.

Where on earth do you get that industry standard for front sights is 0.5 MOA per click???
View Quote
I never specified front or rear sight. Simply pointed out the 1.5" MOA adjustment on the Midwest Industries sights was more that any other sight I have seen. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but the front sight on the Troy BUIS is .5" MOA adjustments per their website. Perhaps I misused the term "industry standard" but 1.5" sure isn't it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I never specified front or rear sight. Simply pointed out the 1.5" MOA adjustment on the Midwest Industries sights was more that any other sight I have seen. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but the front sight on the Troy BUIS is .5" MOA adjustments per their website. Perhaps I misused the term "industry standard" but 1.5" sure isn't it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.5 MOA is absolutely the “industry standard”, give or take a fraction depending on how far out the FS is, if we are talking about elevation adjustments and assuming roughly carbine length front sight distances. Even out on a rifle length front sight it only gets down to about 1.25 MOA on an A2 FSP, or 1 MOA on an A1 (the A1 has 5 detents, not 4).

I don’t see how Troy’s website is possibly correct either, given they utilize a FSP of a standard thread pitch, and with standard A2 90 degree/4-sided adjustment detents. Their MOA should be around 1.5 MOA (depending on distance from rear sight) like everyone else’s (to include MI’s) front sight since, functionally, their front sight *is* everyone else’s front sight. The only way their front sight elevation adjusts .5 MOA is if it’s on a handguard a few yards long.

What is more likely is that someone copy/pasted the windage adjustments from their rear sights, which are (roughly), .5 MOA. Rear sight windage has always been around 3X more sensitive than front sight elevation. For reference, see an M16A2/M16A4 zeroing target.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
But the rear is 0.5 MOA adjustment, I just wanted to clarify that fact. Considering that you mention 1.5 MOA and speak of some industry standard, you didn't even realize that the milspec A2 FSB sight is 1.25 MOA. Is that not the "industry standard" (ie milspec)? Has the M16 and M4 rifle not won any wars? The Magpul MBUS is 1.6 MOA and the Magpul Pro is 1 MOA. The SCAR 17 front sight is 1.5 MOA per click. What is the "industry standard" that you have determined without knowing the facts?

Why wouldn't I want to hear that the Troy BUIS is 0.5 MOA? I had a set at one point, sold them on the EE here. I guess it's a nice feature but definitely not standard. Considering people can hit 300 yard targets with crappy 1 MOA and higher elevation adjustments? I mean really.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Geissele states on their website that their front sight has .5" MOA adjustments.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Geissele states on their website that their front sight has .5" MOA adjustments.
View Quote
I’m not sure you’re understanding why your original premise was misguided. Placed @ the end of a 15” handguard, they probably do. How many detents does their (non-“industry standard”) FSP have per revolution? There’s your answer as to why.

It isn’t a function of the front sight itself as much as it is a function of A) the distance between the front/rear sights, and B) how many detents the FSP itself has.

And as an aside, I want to pick up a set of the G BUIS now that I finally have a SD rifle. Mostly to match the DDC color scheme though. I’m sure they’re nice, but if it weren’t for that I’d just as soon pick up another set of KACs. Maybe OP should toss them in the ‘maybe pile’ though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I have experience with the kac and mbus pro. I recommend both. I have never used the Midwest industries sights, but have other products from them and would be confident in purchasing them. I personally think the mbus polymer sights are ridiculous for back up sights. The point of back up sights are to have them when, or if your primary optic fails. Those plastic sights Are more likely to fail before any proven primary optics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#39]
You guys should have back up sights to your back up sights and it may be a good idea to use 45* offset backups to that you know just in case.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Troy...Back and Front.

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I just put some Troy HK flip ups in mine. The Troy sights are my preferred sights.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I was finally able to see some MBUS Pros mounted on a rifle and I have to say these will definitely be the way I am going. I would love the KACs but not at their price point. The Troy's are battle proven, but also pretty bulky. The Magpuls feel rock solid, are very compact, and at $150 a set.... Done deal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was finally able to see some MBUS Pros mounted on a rifle and I have to say these will definitely be the way I am going. I would love the KACs but not at their price point. The Troy's are battle proven, but also pretty bulky. The Magpuls feel rock solid, are very compact, and at $150 a set.... Done deal.
View Quote
Good choice! The new USAF GAU-5A ASDW actually uses Magpul Pro sights so these are military issue now. Midwest Industries actually has a clone available, comes with Magpul Pros.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol theres a dozen other BUIS that do the same job just as well at a much reduced cost.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lol theres a dozen other BUIS that do the same job just as well at a much reduced cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol sure they do, until they don’t.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#46]
there's always the option of no buis
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#47]
You’re not trying to clone so I’d say the Magpul MBUS PRO set would be great for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The KAC BUIS are bombproof. They also utilize a very thin (see: precise) front sight post, unlike nearly everything else on the market.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The KAC BUIS are bombproof. They also utilize a very thin (see: precise) front sight post, unlike nearly everything else on the market.
View Quote
1. The Magpul Pro front sight also has a thin front sight post. It's called the Enhanced Front Sight Post.
2. If a bomb has hit you, you have other concerns to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I went with the MBUS Pro's. I like how low profile they are but yet feel like they're built like a tank. Didn't end up getting the MRO yet. I'd really prefer the new HD model but I am going to wait and see if the prices come down after a while.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top