BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/10/2022 5:36:41 PM EDT
As in 16” barrel with an M16 style fixed stock. (or any other barrel length less than 20”)

I’ve seen others with that set up before, but I haven’t seen a pic thread dedicated to it. If there is, please direct me there. If there isn’t, let’s start one.

This is the first rifle I’ve put together in that configuration. I tried a few new (to me) things, the most obvious being the mating of a 16 inch barreled upper with a fixed stock A2 lower. I’m lovin’ it.

First time I’ve used a RDS mounted any higher than a lower 1/3 co-witness. The slight increase in height is perfect for this rifle and helps alleviate the annoying A2 stock GONNNGGG!!! felt with every shot fired. And it is mounted to a bombproof fixed A2 sight/riser.

First time I’ve ever rattle canned one of my rifles. I’m diggin’ it.

First time I have ever put FDE furniture on an ODG rifle. I’ve wanted to ever since I saw some old HK 416s issued that way. Looked a little weird to me at first, but it has definitely grown on me. I think I’ll call the color scheme 416 camo

First time I have ever mounted a light that wasn’t originally made to be mounted on a weapon. (1,000 Lumen Surefire P3X Fury in a basic GG&G mount) It’s a little long, but fits perfectly on this pig.

Damn sure on the hefty side, but I think it’s pretty groovy overall.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only one with a fixed stock.  I hate it.

I am getting ready to rip this one apart this weekend, and get rid of the fixed stock.  I tried to like it, but I need a CAR on this thing.  I also am not digging the RAS, so off they all go to the EE.

I have a set of skinnies, and a spare CAR to make it perfect.  

It is actually a Colt 14.5" pinned 6921, so technically 16", you have to give me a pass!

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am getting ready to rip this one apart this weekend, and get rid of the fixed stock.  I tried to like it, but I need a CAR on this thing.  I also am not digging the RIS, so off they all go to the EE.

It is actually a Colt 14.5" pinned 6921, so technically 16", you have to give me a pass!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/.highres/IMG_0005_zps38smtbqy.jpg
View Quote

Pass granted

Fixed stocks are definitely not for everyone. The only other AR I have with a fixed stock is my FN Military Collector M16.

Fixed stocks work OK for me because I am 6’ and slender with long arms and don’t wear body armor, but it still would never be my go-to rifle. A collapsible stock will always reign supreme in usability for me, but I wanted to build something different.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am getting ready to rip this one apart this weekend, and get rid of the fixed stock.  I tried to like it, but I need a CAR on this thing.  I also am not digging the RAS, so off they all go to the EE.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/.highres/IMG_0005_zps38smtbqy.jpg
View Quote

While I love fixed stock ARs and used the same barrel (Colt 14.5" pinned 6921) as you.

Attachment Attached File

My SP1 has a 14.5" Colt SOCOM bbl so OP will have to give me a pass on that as well.

Attachment Attached File

And this is my idea of what a PIP 605 might look like.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I always preferred fixed stocks for my ARs. Though it seems I've gotten rid of all my photos of my past builds except the last setup for my Dissipator before I parted it out:
Used to be more retro with a BRN-10 handguard on there, but fit on those was iffy, so I swapped them out for the Magpuls. Like them a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Alaska511

I have found using an A1 stock makes a big difference....does not sound like much in shorter length....but I hated my A2 rifles until I installed an A1 stock
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Fixed stocks are the best. Go to blaster is a 14.5" P&W with a fixed stock (seems to be a trend in this thread already).
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Alaska511

I have found using an A1 stock makes a big difference....does not sound like much in shorter length....but I hated my A2 rifles until I installed an A1 stock
View Quote

Mine is A1 length
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My SP1 has a 14.5" Colt SOCOM bbl so OP will have to give me a pass on that as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/SP1Plus_jpg-1350618_jpg-2308915.JPG
View Quote

No pass required. Thread title and first post both mention any barrels less than 20 inches on lowers with fixed stocks apply.

Nice rifles!
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
This is my favorite AR. I have a second lower and will be getting the same upper, probably fixed sights on that. I have a set of Daniel Defenses, somewhere...
KP15, PSA 16" pencil barrel upper, Leupold 2.5x20 in an Aero mount, Streamlight Polytac in an Odin Works mount. Six pounds before the sling and QD mount added. Ignore the other fixed stock gun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's mine:

Part of my Dissy collection:

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Mixmasters.  "C" stocks from AR15sport.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here's mine:

https://i.imgur.com/XVJFIIj.jpg?1

Part of my Dissy collection:

https://i.imgur.com/I6PFkbI.jpg
View Quote

@Hwk-I-St8

Nice rifles. Damn it! Now I want a Dissipator…
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Beautiful. One day I’ll build a 16” A2 upper… one day…
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]
accidental dupe, nothin’ to see here folks
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread is dope
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]

I have one more (with another C1 stock) getting cerakoted.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
How about this home cooked abortion?! 16" 450BM side-charger on a 3d printed lower and a "fixed stock".

Attachment Attached File

And to hopefully bring it back/redeem myself, dissy goodness.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Bushmaster Y2K
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How about this home cooked abortion?! 16" 450BM side-charger on a 3d printed lower and a "fixed stock".
View Quote

“home cooked abortion”

That’s either the best death metal band name… or the the worst recipe… ever
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20210124_145525232_jpg-2310121.JPG
View Quote

That's one hell of a 3d printed lower abuse test!
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I haven't shot this one much at all. A2 kit, Griffin lower, 16" PSA upper, Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10, Leupold mount. It seems to have some feeding issues, I'm considering re-barreling it. I have a 20" Gunner that'll get the scope and lower with a 2 stage trigger. Any recs on lightweight rifle buffer stocks? I ordered 2 of the stock kits, not remembering how much they weigh.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

i would really like to try the A1 length but enjoy the A2 just as much

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

“home cooked abortion”

That’s either the best death metal band name… or the the worst recipe… ever
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

That's one hell of a 3d printed lower abuse test!
View Quote

I haven't done it yet, only tested on a 556. But soon I intend to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Classic, very nice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
This one is a fixed 18" - it's very controllable.
Rare Breed Trigger Headshots!

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This one is a fixed 18" - it's very controllable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwz4NNXChdg

View Quote

BADASS
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

BADASS
View Quote
Thanks! It's fun!

Gets expensive kinda quick though
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks! It's fun!

Gets expensive kinda quick though
View Quote

@jaqufrost

I hear ya. I go to the range regularly, usually weekly, sometimes a couple of times a week. I used to blow through at least 100-200 rounds of 5.56 at most range visits. Nowadays, it’s a couple of magazines at most, then I switch to one of my AR-22s before heading over to the pistol lanes.

Thank God I don’t own any full auto rifles. I’d end up living in a van down by the river…
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Fictional?  Yes, but super cool.  I'll be doing a PSA slab side H&R lower for it when they become available.  No hurry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fictional?  Yes, but super cool.  I'll be doing a PSA slab side H&R lower for it when they become available.  No hurry.https://i.imgur.com/FDNwAi3.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/fArHnaZ.jpg?2
View Quote

Neat.

I’ve been looking for an upper like yours.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Neat.

I’ve been looking for an upper like yours.
View Quote

Thanks.  With the exception of the middy Freedom barrel assembly from PSA, it's all Brownells.

Opps!  I lied.  The trap door is from AR15sport.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#36]

I’ve got to figure out how to post pics again. Later. ETA: Sucess!

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I like this pic thread, fixed stocks can be cool too. Not everything has to be a do all either.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Just finished this build. Need to go zero it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just finished this build. Need to go zero it.
https://i.imgur.com/H0iNhbv.jpg
View Quote

@spyderboy03

Good looking rifle - I like the different earthy shades. What colors are those on the receivers, rail and furniture?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@spyderboy03

Good looking rifle - I like the different earthy shades. What colors are those on the receivers, rail and furniture?
View Quote

Thanks! The rail is Geissele DDC annodize, the receivers are Brownell's Alum-Hyde II Magpul FDE, and the furniture is all Magpul ODG.

ETA: I've got a pistol build that was cerakoted in FDE (I think Magpul), and it is really close to this rail. The receivers came out a lot lighter than I was expecting based on pictures and videos I found while trying to decide between it and Coyote. I wasn't sure if I liked it initially, but it is growing on me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#43]
18 inch checking in. I need to figure out the faxon barrel diameter and cut down an FSB to fit a bayo lug in front of handguard
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#44]
A2 Rifle Gas Dissy
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought my first rifle when Billy Bob Clinton said AR 15's were too dangerous because of all those evil features.  Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty AK.    Pinned and welded AK compensator, neutered bayonet lug, fixed A2 stock, and a 30 round magazine that was cut down and riveted back together with a block to make it only hold 10 rounds.  

A few years ago I sold the barrel to somebody in the Peoples Republic of California, and installed an adjustable stock and carbine barrel.    Recently I purchased an 18" mid length gas barrel, and will be re-assembling all the fixed stock goodness.

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#46]
My first one. I ended up putting back to original after it was a whore for a while. Oly is ugly but it sure shoots good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

I have this one with a 16" midlength barrel and Cav MFG ODG furniture. It's pretty nice but I haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. It's going under the knife soon for a 14.5 M4 barrel and carbine stock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#48]
My bastard-child. Lefty DPMS A2 upper with deflector on right side. 16" FN w/ C-1 buttstock.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#49]
OP, I like your build.  I don't have a fixed stock AR of any barrel length, but can see benefit in certain situations over collapsible stocks.  Love its simplicity.  I have many bolt guns and other rifles, none with adjustable stocks and have never seen the need for adjustment.  Some have built in LOP options, but its a one time setting and done.

I have a precision 16" Recc-style AR that could probably benefit from a fixed stock, for example.  Its running a Magpul ACS, but it is always locked in the same place.  I do like the wide, rounded comb on the ACS.  A fixed stock like yours, but with a similar comb for scope use would be nice.  Maybe the new Magpul PRS Lite?  I know, these don't look like a standard issue A1 or A2 fixed stock, though.  It gets adjusted for LOP and comb height one time and then bolted.  Not adjustable without tools.  Might not meet your criteria.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP, I like your build.  I don't have a fixed stock AR of any barrel length, but can see benefit in certain situations over collapsible stocks.  Love its simplicity.  I have many bolt guns and other rifles, none with adjustable stocks and have never seen the need for adjustment.  Some have built in LOP options, but its a one time setting and done.

I have a precision 16" Recc-style AR that could probably benefit from a fixed stock, for example.  Its running a Magpul ACS, but it is always locked in the same place.  I do like the wide, rounded comb on the ACS.  A fixed stock like yours, but with a similar comb for scope use would be nice.  Maybe the new Magpul PRS Lite?  I know, these don't look like a standard issue A1 or A2 fixed stock, though.  It gets adjusted for LOP and comb height one time and then bolted.  Not adjustable without tools.  Might not meet your criteria.

Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

@MS556

Thanks. It is one of only 7 long guns I have w/fixed stocks. The others are an M16A4, two AK-47s, an FNH SPR A3G, a Winchester .22 lever action & a Winchester Defender 12 gauge. Everything else has adjustable stocks or are bullpups (I guess bullpup could be considered fixed too).

I’m still enjoying this build quite a bit. This rifle is a shooter, one of my more accurate uppers. But, after a couple of range trips, there’s no denying it’s a heavy mofo. Not ideal for offhand shooting. I’ve decided to keep it as kind of a DMR - excellent for shooting from a bench.

Pic Thread (current setup):

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top