Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2023 9:21:51 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I recently had my SOLGW patrol 16 barrel swapped to a 13.9 BA Hanson barrel and am having some issues. The first issue I am having is it is not seating rounds into the chamber manually using the charging handle. It will work if you use the bolt catch or slingshot the charging handle but doing it slowly will cause the round to catch on the feed ramp. If it has only a few rounds in the mag it will seat rounds no problem. I am seeing this problem when I have a full 30rounds in the magazine. The other issue that I am having is when I manually eject the rounds using the charging handle. I tested it using 3 rounds and 1 round came out marred at the neck of the bullet. Finally, the rifle functions fine when being shot but I only shot it with around 6 rounds in the magazine at a time. (Ive attended a photo below for context). This is my very first rifle and I have no experience gunsmithing so any information would be very helpful. Thanks!" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't ride the bolt to load it.  Let it slam home.  Sometimes with mags it works better to use 28rds instead of 30.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Colt 6920….
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the bullet damage something I should be worried about? When I shot I didn’t see any damage on the spent casings, only when I manually tested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What are the benefits to using that bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
He means pull the bolt back fully to charge it and let go. Don't try to ease it shut holding back on the charging handle. Make sure the bolt and carrier is properly lubed as well as the rails inside the upper receiver. I like Superlube thinly applied for all the sliding surfaces. What mags are you using?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a Colt 6920….
View Quote

This /\
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This /\
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a Colt 6920….

This /\

X3
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy a Colt 6920….
View Quote

Or any Colt LE prefix rifle for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Buy a Colt 6920….

Quoted:

This /\

Quoted:

X3

He didnt ask for purchasing advice. He has a SOLGW rifle that he wants to work properly after replacing the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Don’t be that guy that buys whatever AR reddit likes this week as his first gun. Put the AR away for awhile, get yourself a cheap bolt action .22 rifle and learn good fundamentals. Become a shooter, not another dipshit tacti-bro.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are the benefits to using that bolt carrier?
View Quote
Well, it holds the bolt and the firing pin, so...

As said above, DON'T ride the charging handle forward.  You can end up with the bolt not closing properly. Bad things can happen if the bolt doesn't fully close and lock.

Congrats on your SBR.  You did get a tax stamp first, right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Go get professional training before you waste any more time reinforcing bad habits. There's gotta be at least a weekend carbine course somewhere nearby.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy a Colt 6920….
View Quote

Screw that buy a $500 PSA AR15.  

OP if you are going to ride the charging handle, you will need to tap the forward assist to get the bolt to fully close. Use the heal of your hand to do so. As everyone mentioned, pull the charging handle to the rear, and let it slingshot forward.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
How to properly load an AR15 and the wrong ways that jam your rifle

Fast forward to 2:45 for proper loading technique.  

On a new gun, make sure it's liberally lubricated.  You can use fancy gun lubes, or just synthetic motor oil works almost as well.

Just out of curiosity, did the rifle function before you had the barrel replaced?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#17]
God damn, a new guy comes to tech for advice and gets told bUy A CoLt

No wonder people just don't post anymore.

OP, don't ride the bolt and slowly chamber rounds. Let it slam.

As for the dented bullets, that seems to happen for me if the ramps are indexed wrong, or your magazine has some sort of issue where it's feeding at too extreme of an angle. Make sure your ramps look like the good ones of these:

Attachment Attached File

Also make sure your magazine isn't bent or deformed, and make sure it's seated all the way into the rifle. If you get a dented bullet, mark the magazine with a paint pen and try a different one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen some BA barrels where the feedramps will overhang into the upper receiver... you may be experiencing that.

If you have a factory built SOLGW that ran, and you swapped the barrel and now you can make the cartridge hang of the feedramps... check the feedramps with the back of a wooden cotton swap... if the wood sticks on a pronounced ledge you have some overhang.

If you can make a ballpoint pen catch at that junction between the upper and the barrel feedramps, you had a problem seriously worth addressing.

It can be tolerance stacking between the two... the threaded bore length on the upper, the angle of the M4 cuts on the upper receiver, and the length of the ramps on the barrel extension.  When people square the face on their upper and grind that length down, they can invite more overhang, for instance.

It's something to watch out for during the barreling of any upper.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Who did the install, you, or a "gunsmith"?

If you hired the work done, take it back for repairs.

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#22]
A previous poster asked about magazines. Never buy ProMags, not now, not ever.

Okay Ind, D&H, Magpul, Brownell's are my picks, no particular order.

Can you take a photo of your feed ramps inside the upper?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top