Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2018 5:05:41 AM EDT
Hey guys, just got done cleaning my ar15 for the first time. Along the way, a few questions came to mind.

1. When I was testing the retention of my bolt by flicking the bcg, I noticed the cam pin rotates in its slot a bit. Any chance the cam pin will rotate 90 degrees and make its way out? With the bcg out of the gun, I felt like I could do this.

2. The firing pin, when put back in, there’s still some play and it moves with the bolt slightly. Does it matter if the firing pin and the firing pin retainer pin was installed with the bolt pulled out or pushed in?

3. For lubricant, I picked up some Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30. Is this the standard weight for Mobil 1 or do you guys use something different in your guns?

Thanks guys; im a noob but I feel accomplished haha.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of a cam pin falling out you should be ok , as far as i know the position of the bolt doesnt matter when inserting the firing pin. The firing pin does have some back and forth  play once installed . Alot of guys on hear swear by mobile one i use go juice so cant help much there
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Cam pin cannot fall out unless you leave the firing pin out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys, just got done cleaning my ar15 for the first time. Along the way, a few questions came to mind.

1. When I was testing the retention of my bolt by flicking the bcg, I noticed the cam pin rotates in its slot a bit. Any chance the cam pin will rotate 90 degrees and make its way out? With the bcg out of the gun, I felt like I could do this.

All that matters is when the BCG is in the upper.  When it's fully assembled, two things stop the cam pin from rotating and backing out of the carrier: first the firing pin, because it passes through the cam pin and prevents it from fully rotating 90 degrees, and second the head of the cam pin rides in the narrowed channel in the upper where the charging handle rests, only allowing rotation when the cam pin head reaches the scalloped cut-out area when the BCG collapses on the bolt during lock-up.

2. The firing pin, when put back in, there's still some play and it moves with the bolt slightly. Does it matter if the firing pin and the firing pin retainer pin was installed with the bolt pulled out or pushed in?

It does not matter, the firing pin in an AR is considered "floating" and will always have some play here.

3. For lubricant, I picked up some Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30. Is this the standard weight for Mobil 1 or do you guys use something different in your guns?

You're fine, and choosing one weight motor oil over another is a matter of choice and whats available.  I work in the lubricants industry and honestly, people WAY over-think firearm lubrication.

Thanks guys; im a noob but I feel accomplished haha.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cam pin cannot fall out unless you leave the firing pin out.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
About the only way to goof this up is by installing the firing pin retainer on the wrong side of the bolt carrier.

I'll let you figure out which side is correct.
View Quote
That or turning the bolt 180 degrees off.  You usually figure that one out after a shot or two.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That or turning the bolt 180 degrees off.  You usually figure that one out after a shot or two.
View Quote
The hole in the bolt where the cam pin goes is tapered, so really there's only one way to put it in haha - at least in the newer ARs. And again, thank you for all the useful and accurate information you provide. Time and time again, I've gone back to check my AR to personally validate your information and it has always been spot-on. You really know your stuff.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top