Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2021 5:19:06 PM EDT
Hello,

*Let me preface this post by saying…I am working within a budget, I am a new/ish gun owner and this is my first (and only) AR-15; I want it for range use (home defence doesn’t really apply in my personal situation but, I’d still like a light); I’m aware of the opinions some have of PSA.*

I recently purchased a “PSA (16") M4 Carbine rifle kit”, and have been looking into doing some minor changes/additions (I had no idea how customisable these guns are, and a part of me wishes I had $$$, I would love to go all out) but, seeing as though I am working within a budget, and due to my budget restraints, these are my potential options.

*Already purchased*
Anderson Stripped Lower

I don’t plan to buy everything at once, these are just the things I would like to add/replace in time so, I wanted to get some opinions with what I have chosen:

Upper items:

Magpul Hand Guard

Magpul Hand Stop

Scopes:

Sig Sauer Romeo5

Bushnell TRS-25
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Pinty Reflex

Vortex Gen-II

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information online when it comes to lights/ positioning etc., and this was one of the choices I’m having the most difficulty with… Although I’m not wanting this solely for home defence, I like the option of having a light. Due to the front sight on the M4, I wasn’t sure which way I should go but these are my potential choices:

GG&G SLIC Thing Combo

Streamlight PolyTac

Streamlight Protac Rail

For the options without the light and that are just the mount, I was looking at:

Elzetta ZFH1500
TMC Light Mount

With either of these lights:

Surefire G2X PRO

Mag-Tac CR123

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I am based in California and there are certain restrictions, I will need to buy a Mag Lock (glad I read; it was news to me) I found these options:

MagLatch

AR Maglock

Cross Armory Fixed Mag

I like the look of the 30 round magazines but, California… I found some 10/30 and just the regular 10 round:

Hexmag 10/30

Magpul Pmag 10/30

Magpul Pmag 10 round

ASC 10 round

Should I look into anything else around the same price mark? I don’t plan on buying/building another one, so any of the more pricer items I’m not too interested in given the overall build. I just like the idea of building my own rifle (partially) on the cheap which also brings me to my final point, I don’t really have many tools... reading what I will need to put the lower together, is it even worth buying the tools to do it or am I better off spending the $50 to have my local store put it together.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig or Vortex for your optic. Magpul for the magazine. Hex mags are hot garbage. Pinty?  Hell nah.

Magpul anything is going to be quality and they have excellent support. I would look at an actual rail though, instead of a plastic handguard, although it appears you’re going with a front sight/gas block setup, so it may be harder to find a rail for it.

I only have one weapon light, but it’s a surefire with an arisaka mount.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
First build needs to be inexpensive, fun, and most importantly of all, a learning experience. Then you can save money for more refined/specific ideas if you’re serious about getting into it.  It’s the right way to do it.

Buy tools on Amazon, you don’t need something to last you 1000 build from now. Go cheap. Its hard to catastrophically screw up a build, you may end up with some minor cosmetic defects at the worst.

Look for a cheap punch set, I’m sure someone else can chime in with the exact diameter you will need. Plenty of good info on here and YouTube containing everything you need to know.

Do you have a vise for assembling the lower? It’s easy to torque on things when you have a vise.

Building a rifle is a nice itch to scratch. I can’t stop scratching it

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sig or Vortex for your optic. Magpul for the magazine. Hex mags are hot garbage. Pinty?  Hell nah.

Magpul anything is going to be quality and they have excellent support. I would look at an actual rail though, instead of a plastic handguard, although it appears you’re going with a front sight/gas block setup, so it may be harder to find a rail for it.

View Quote

Thanks, I will take them off my list . I did find this rail but, I have read some read some reviews about not buying from that company so I'm on the fence.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First build needs to be inexpensive, fun, and most importantly of all, a learning experience. Then you can save money for more refined/specific ideas if you’re serious about getting into it.  It’s the right way to do it.

Buy tools on Amazon, you don’t need something to last you 1000 build from now. Go cheap. Its hard to catastrophically screw up a build, you may end up with some minor cosmetic defects at the worst.

Look for a cheap punch set, I’m sure someone else can chime in with the exact diameter you will need. Plenty of good info on here and YouTube containing everything you need to know.

Do you have a vise for assembling the lower? It’s easy to torque on things when you have a vise.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's also why I would like to do it myself, I'm more of a walk into a store and try find it rather than ask were it is kinda guy, even if it could save me some time... I do not have a vice, and I just have basic tools (everything is back in my home state), I've watched YouTube videos with some who have every tool you could need and some that have bare minimum so I guess it's doable?

I bought a .22LR a few months ago to use at the range for fun and said that was it, then a few weeks later a 9mm, now this I think I see where you are coming from.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks, I will take them off my list . I did find this rail but, I have read some read some reviews about not buying from that company so I'm on the fence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ve reasonably stressed you’re on a budget, so I know you’re not trying to build an end-of-the-world tough gun. Those parts get expensive. If this rail works for you, get it. Just be reasonable about what it will survive. Most likely this will be made out of a very soft aluminum and the finish will scratch easily.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You’ve reasonably stressed you’re on a budget, so I know you’re not trying to build an end-of-the-world tough gun. Those parts get expensive. If this rail works for you, get it. Just be reasonable about what it will survive. Most likely this will be made out of a very soft aluminum and the finish will scratch easily.
View Quote

I'm not familiar with what it is made from/ the finish (or any really), what would you suggest? And yeah, I'm trying to reason with myself about the purchases I intend to make because, at the end of the day...I know with my allocated budget, I could have spent my cash on a better upper and lower (from what I have read). On the flip side, it's new to me, and if i can buy all the basic bells and whistles and have a less than favorable (to some) upper and lower, then I'm going to go that route. From the research I have done, it seems the sky's the limit (pending your bankroll).
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend your money on the bcg, barrel, and buffer system. For the most part, the rest isn’t super critical.

BCM makes a good buffer package with the tube, buffer, and spring.

I’d go BCM for the grip and stock as well. Not expensive but high quality.

A good bcg will run about $150. Look for carpenter 158 steel for the bolt.

If you can afford a rail made of machines t-6 6061 aluminun, buy that. It should be plenty rigid and durable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would be better off with a utg quad rail, There not much more expensive. Roughly same price if you get the non extended version.  but the quality is alot better. I have held both. Beautiful thing is with building. You can take your time. Move at your speed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:39:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Since it’s your first keep it simple. You don’t need a quad rail if you are just trying to mount a light and hand stop. Those MOE handguards will work until you learn more about your rifle and decide if you want to change it or not.  The streamlight is a high quality low cost flashlight I’d get that, pretty sure MOE has slots a rail can be added to the 2/10 o’clock positions and you can just mount your light to that.  You could just rock iron sights for a while to train but if you want a red dot holosun and primary arms make good low cost options. As said above Magpul mags above all. I’d prioritise a quality sling over everything at first, the rest could come later.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
For your tools question since you are buying a complete upper. You need a hammer, screwdriver/Allen wrench (depending on handgrip manufacture), roll pin punches, and a spanner wrench for the buffer tube.  Most people already have the hammer and screwdriver, so you might only need $12 punch set and a buffer tube spanner.  Is it worth it? Up to you but assembling your rifle is fun and a good learning experience.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Magpul Handguards are fine for a grip/light.

Quads are sorta pointless unless you need lasers and shit for NVG.

The exception is if you like the retro look/aesthetics though. UTG has some decent American made options.

A vice isnt really needed for building the lower, but is nice to have.

Basically youll want a 3rd arm/hand while torquing the castle nut and trying to keep the stock/tube from rotating.

I like the ratcheting endplate/castle nut PWS sells
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies! I can only reply with 2000 characters, but I work with websites and this formatting drives me crazy! I’d rather respond to replies in the one comment, ha ha.

Quoted:
Spend your money on the bcg, barrel, and buffer system. For the most part, the rest isn’t super critical.

BCM makes a good buffer package with the tube, buffer, and spring.

I’d go BCM for the grip and stock as well. Not expensive but high quality.

A good bcg will run about $150. Look for carpenter 158 steel for the bolt.

If you can afford a rail made of machines t-6 6061 aluminun, buy that. It should be plenty rigid and durable.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips, I had not looked into that website- will check it out!

Quoted:
You would be better off with a utg quad rail, There not much more expensive. Roughly same price if you get the non extended version.  but the quality is alot better. I have held both. Beautiful thing is with building. You can take your time. Move at your speed.
View Quote

I actually did come across this rail in my search, not sure why I didn’t include in my product list! I know you shouldn’t care and I’m new to all this but, I watched a YouTube video recently along the lines of mistakes new AR 15 owners make and they were saying how trash quad rails are… I’m no purist so to me, they looked fine?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since it’s your first keep it simple. You don’t need a quad rail if you are just trying to mount a light and hand stop. Those MOE handguards will work until you learn more about your rifle and decide if you want to change it or not.  The streamlight is a high quality low cost flashlight I’d get that, pretty sure MOE has slots a rail can be added to the 2/10 o’clock positions and you can just mount your light to that.  You could just rock iron sights for a while to train but if you want a red dot holosun and primary arms make good low cost options. As said above Magpul mags above all. I’d prioritise a quality sling over everything at first, the rest could come later.
View Quote

I wasn’t sure what the PSA handguard had (in terms of cut outs? Not sure that’s the right terms) but, for what I want to use it for, I think I would be able to mount a light and hand stop without changing anything, but for the low cost, I’m keen to try out the MOE handguard. The sling I only thought about after coming across a company on IG (those targeted ads!) its up on my list now.

Quoted:You could just rock iron sights for a while to train
View Quote

I think I mentioned in my original post that I am a new/ish gun owner... by that I mean in this state, well country actually...and certainly with AR's... I grew up in the land down under, and have been shooting rifles since I was a kid, iron sights are what I learnt to shoot with... I honestly didn't know using iron sights were common with these guns, I'd be more than happy to put iron sights on, I think the appeal of being able to put a red dot on it piqued my interest!

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Magpul Handguards are fine for a grip/light.

Quads are sorta pointless unless you need lasers and shit for NVG.

The exception is if you like the retro look/aesthetics though. UTG has some decent American made options.

A vice isnt really needed for building the lower, but is nice to have.

Basically youll want a 3rd arm/hand while torquing the castle nut and trying to keep the stock/tube from rotating.

I like the ratcheting endplate/castle nut PWS sells
View Quote

Hadn’t even thought about lasers…. Definitely not trying to keep it retro looking, just want the final result to appeal to me and at this stage I think I need to stop looking at other builds that aren’t even in my league and focus on what I do have… I did read some comments (not sure how legit they were) but, the person sat on their lower while torquing the castle nut :D  
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For your tools question since you are buying a complete upper. You need a hammer, screwdriver/Allen wrench (depending on handgrip manufacture), roll pin punches, and a spanner wrench for the buffer tube.  Most people already have the hammer and screwdriver, so you might only need $12 punch set and a buffer tube spanner.  Is it worth it? Up to you but assembling your rifle is fun and a good learning experience.
View Quote

I can tick 3-4/5 , the castle nut wrenches are quite cheap on Amazon and even the roll pin punch kit. I have a nail punch kit but it looks to be different from the roll pin punches. Honestly, I just don’t want to mess it up in terms of, getting it done (looks to be done right) then going to the range and it goes haywire.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can tick 3-4/5 , the castle nut wrenches are quite cheap on Amazon and even the roll pin punch kit. I have a nail punch kit but it looks to be different from the roll pin punches. Honestly, I just don’t want to mess it up in terms of, getting it done (looks to be done right) then going to the range and it goes haywire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roll pin punches arent hard to find, even menards sells them. They are also called spring pin punches
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Roll pin punches arent hard to find, even menards sells them. They are also called spring pin punches
View Quote

Had to Google that one... "what the heck is menards" ha ha. Thanks, there also seems to be quite a few cheap kits on amazon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I’d find a set of the small diameter, shielded round carbine handguards (DoubleStar and others sell them) and call it good.  The big M4 ovals suck IMO and I have decent size mitts.

The SLIC Thing works great for mounting a light & you get the benefit of it being as far forward as possible on a carbine-length gas setup.

Streamlight RM-1 or 2 will bolt right on.

As others have said, Vortex, Primary Arms, or Sig for the optic.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the armaglock on one of my rífles and the hogue freedom fighter in another. I like the hogue freedom fighter better, but it is more involved for installation. As for the rear pin, I prefer the juggernaut tactical rear pin over the armaglock kingpin for the fact that the pin doesn’t need to come completely off whenever separating the upper from the lower when it’s time to clean the rifle.
Thordsden sells lancer 10/30 mags, and also the 10/30 Pmags. I like both and have plenty of both. A member of arfcom also sells Ca legal mags. I believe his website is jesticearms.
For an inexpensive punch kit, I went with the wheeler punch kit for ar15.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I have both the Sig Romeo5 and the Bushnell TRS-25. The Sig is far superior, spend the extra $$$ and be happy with your choice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, not sure if you have used a red dot before but if you have an astigmatism you may not be able to comfortably use one.  

I got the SIG ROMEO5 and it is a really good optic but I didn't realize I had an astigmatism so the "dot" is really a moving flare so my POI was all over the place.  You can minimize this by turning down the brightness but at least for me, it never got good enough.

I ended up going with a lighted reticle as the astigmatism thing doesn't play a role and I like that the etched reticle will always work, regardless of the battery condition.  Red dots need power to work.

Since I'd been running a magnifier all along, I just went to a SIG BRAVO 5.  I really like it.  Heavy and not cheap (which conflicts with your situation right now) but Primary Arms has some that are nice and less expensive.  Multiple magnification options.  1x 3x and 5x as I recall.

Maybe try looking through some optics types before buying.

You may well be fortunate and not have an astigmatism so this won't matter to you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
So I've been eyeing a certain bundle for $250

Sig MSR+ Juliet Micro 3x Magnifier.

Seems pretty decent imo, amazon has them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#25]
You *can* put a lower together in 17 minutes after 8 beers with nothing but channel locks and a screwdriver.

If you can watch a YouTube video and turn a wrench you got this.

The magpul handguards are great if your only adding a light to them. They are light, handle heat well, and are surprisingly simple to mount a light and forgrip to. And if you have a buddy who shoots he probably has a set in his parts bin.

Streamlight for cheap lights, vortex/holosun/primary arms for cheap red dots.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, not sure if you have used a red dot before but if you have an astigmatism you may not be able to comfortably use one.  

I got the SIG ROMEO5 and it is a really good optic but I didn't realize I had an astigmatism so the "dot" is really a moving flare so my POI was all over the place.  You can minimize this by turning down the brightness but at least for me, it never got good enough.

I ended up going with a lighted reticle as the astigmatism thing doesn't play a role and I like that the etched reticle will always work, regardless of the battery condition.  Red dots need power to work.

Since I'd been running a magnifier all along, I just went to a SIG BRAVO 5.  I really like it.  Heavy and not cheap (which conflicts with your situation right now) but Primary Arms has some that are nice and less expensive.  Multiple magnification options.  1x 3x and 5x as I recall.

Maybe try looking through some optics types before buying.

You may well be fortunate and not have an astigmatism so this won't matter to you.
View Quote

I actually have not used one before, nor have I ever heard about astigmatism... From what I read, I don't believe It's something I have but, if you only ever noticed it using a red dot then yeah, I honestly couldn't say for sure. I've always shot with two eyes open, even when I use a scope on a rifle. My LGS has them in stock, I have to go in there next week. Not sure if people ask to see through them before they buy but no harm in asking.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have the armaglock on one of my rífles and the hogue freedom fighter in another. I like the hogue freedom fighter better, but it is more involved for installation. As for the rear pin, I prefer the juggernaut tactical rear pin over the armaglock kingpin for the fact that the pin doesn’t need to come completely off whenever separating the upper from the lower when it’s time to clean the rifle.
Thordsden sells lancer 10/30 mags, and also the 10/30 Pmags. I like both and have plenty of both. A member of arfcom also sells Ca legal mags. I believe his website is jesticearms.
For an inexpensive punch kit, I went with the wheeler punch kit for ar15.
View Quote

Yeah, I watched a few videos on the install/ using them- on the fence with that setup and doing it myself. I will check them out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:28:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’d find a set of the small diameter, shielded round carbine handguards (DoubleStar and others sell them) and call it good.  The big M4 ovals suck IMO and I have decent size mitts.

The SLIC Thing works great for mounting a light & you get the benefit of it being as far forward as possible on a carbine-length gas setup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had a look on DoubleStar, not a big fan of the 7' carbine handguards they had on offer (the ones I can afford, they looked a little funky to me) and the others were a little over my price range! Otherwise yes, I do agree... I do not like the M4 oval hand guard that my upper currently has, I keep looking at it while I wait for my lower (10 day waiting period to pick up in CA!) and it's something that I definitely want to change.

Quoted:
I have both the Sig Romeo5 and the Bushnell TRS-25. The Sig is far superior, spend the extra $$$ and be happy with your choice.

Thanks for your input!

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:31:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You *can* put a lower together in 17 minutes after 8 beers with nothing but channel locks and a screwdriver.

The magpul handguards are great if your only adding a light to them. They are light, handle heat well, and are surprisingly simple to mount a light and forgrip to. And if you have a buddy who shoots he probably has a set in his parts bin.

View Quote

Hah! The 8 beers I don't think i'd have a problem with, although, not in 17 minutes... I've watched multiple tutorials now so I'm not going into it completely blind! The handguard I feel most confident with switching that's for sure, and no.. I don't unfortunately! Seems to be the general consensus with those picks, thanks!

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hah! The 8 beers I don't think i'd have a problem with, although, not in 17 minutes... I've watched multiple tutorials now so I'm not going into it completely blind! The handguard I feel most confident with switching that's for sure, and no.. I don't unfortunately! Seems to be the general consensus with those picks, thanks!

View Quote

I found this book to be very helpful when doing my first build:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude once you get the hang of it, you can knock one out in 10 min.

Buy a clevis pin to install the front take down pin. These are probably a dollar the most at the hardware store. Its a metal pin with holes in it.

-Basically you insert the detent/pin through it.
-Turn it so those are retained.
-Slowly push it out with the takedown pin in the opposite side.
-With some luck the spring/detent wont go flying across the room
*Wear eye pro or do this in a large ziploc bag
*Also order atleast 5 extra springs/detents.

As for trigger guards be careful with the ears. Support them as best as possible.
-Always lube the hole/roll pin
-If he rollpin is a real tight fit. Freeze/Get the the Steel Roll Pin before Using It. This will shrink the metal
-Hit the AR15 Lower with a Hair Dryer Around the Trigger Guard Area, this will expand the metal.

Cold/Heat/Lube is useful for working around tight tolerances.

Also swapping handguards seems easier for me if the lower isnt attached. The magwell just gets in the way of pulling the delta ring down
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#32]
New to the AR15 and want to immediately do mods and changes.

You know Darwin was a bright guy too.

Need I say more.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
New to the AR15 and want to immediately do mods and changes.

View Quote

I did the same thing, no regrets. You end up learning a lot as long as you do the research

Just about every gun Ive purchased, I've done some mods/changes to it.

I dont see the issue. Just dont bring out the dremel lol.

Besides a majority of the "mods" hes messing with are plug and play/reversible.

Like I know jack about semi auto shotguns. Ive already i stalled a better puck/gas regulator after some minor research

It's a learning experience.

Though a warning; you may break a few eggs making your omelet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I did the same thing, no regrets. You end up learning a lot as long as you do the research

Just about every gun Ive purchased, I've done some mods/changes to it.

I dont see the issue. Just dont bring out the dremel lol.

Besides a majority of the "mods" hes messing with are plug and play/reversible.

Like I know jack about semi auto shotguns. Ive already i stalled a better puck/gas regulator after some minor research

It's a learning experience.

Though a warning; you may break a few eggs making your omelet.
View Quote

I get it. But general rule is, if the item/platform is new to you, learn from a good working item instead of trying to build it from ground up with "mods" along the way.

Not that I care what anyone does with their arms, but they can bite pretty bad, deadly in some cases.

I once got bit by a Wilson Combat skeleton hammer. Yep, super nice finish, very good machining, all too good, edges were not relieved well, super sharp, edge got corner of my thumb. Not a fun day.

AR15 is ez, but I still do promote safety and the "go-slow" method when it come to new arms in the stash.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
If you go featureless you don't have to use a mag locking device.  I used the Sparrow Dynamics grip in lieu of the pistol grip, pinned the stock, and put a linear comp on instead of a flash hider.  It's nice to be able to drop mags like regular people.  If you are doing a lot of bench shooting the 10 round mags are better than the longer 10/30 ones.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#36]
The Vortex Crossfire II Red dot is $99.99 and free shipping at focuscamera.com Use the discount code SAVENOW. I ordered one from them and they shipped quick.

https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-bright-red-dot-sight-with-multi-height-mount-system-2-moa-reticle.html

If you are looking for a LPVO, they have this deal. Ordered one of these as well. Use the code VORTEX and it's $199 for scope and mount.

https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-1-4x24-riflescope-v-brite-moa-reticle-30mm-riflescope-tub.html

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Thought I would update my post... I finished the lower the other week but just getting around to posting now, everything went pretty well! I did buy a couple of extra tools from Harbor Freight which came in handy. The only issue I ran into was getting the hammer installed, now that took me some time! The spring was extremely stiff, and I wasn't working with a vice, just off a table, it was hard to keep the pressure to be able to get the pin through but, I got it in the end.

I've since take the original hand guard off and replaced it with the Magpul SL, that was no troubles! I bought a few different magazines just to try them out and I got some good deals over July 4th weekend. The only downside, my optic haha. To the person below, thanks I now realize I have an astigmatism....

Quoted:

View Quote

I bought this exact red dot and it came the other day, I was pumped. I'd put it on late at night so was tired and put it down to just weary eyes but the next day as I was playing around with it reducing the brightness etc., I couldn't seem to get it perfect. I then remembered this post and came back to check to see what you had called it... Well, turns out the blurry dot that looks like a bunch of grapes to me isn't due to a faulty red dot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top