Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2020 4:01:23 PM EDT
One of my long term projects is finally coming together.

This was my first mock up. I'm using my 6520 lower that is SBR'd and usually is my XM177E2 clone.

I couldn't figure a good way to hold the front sight base for drill and pinning so I modeled up a set of fixtures in Fusion 360 and printed them up last night.

Worked like a charm. What did y'all do when you built yours?

Couple more questions.

What buffer and/or mods did you do for 9mm?

I don't remember where I got the front sight base but boy is that thing got some loose tolerances. The hole is .630" and my barrel is .620". Don't get me started on the roll pin holes for the folding front sight.

Does your folding sight jiggle around and if so does it affect accuracy?

Do I need a 50 meter rear sight?

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to say, that's a hell of a way to start, until I noticed the username...  
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The 9mm is really nice to shoot with a heavy buffer.

I made up a heavy buffer with the following:
(1) Ebay H3 buffer, this was a bit of an accident from a different project, but when they arrived I found they were steel bodies with steel weights.
(3) tungsten weights, used to replace the steel weights in the before mentioned buffer.

Ended up with about an 8oz buffer for $30, which was good enough and I didn't want to spend $100 on a heavy buffer from some of the online vendors.

I've had one of these buffers in my kick around Spikes SBR lower for several years now with no issues, and up until recently when I made a dedicated lower for my DOE, I was switching back and forth between my 9mm DOE upper with magwell insert and a suppressed 10.5" 5.56 upper.
As a point of reference, I do not run a spacer in my buffer tube and have not had any issues.

I did end up needing a 9mm mag catch, the regular one wouldn't hold the mag enough.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't remember where I got the front sight base but boy is that thing got some loose tolerances. The hole is .630" and my barrel is .620". Don't get me started on the roll pin holes for the folding front sight.

Does your folding sight jiggle around and if so does it affect accuracy?
View Quote

Could it be a Sherluck part?
They're a bit "loose" on tolerances. I didn't notice on the barrel as I cut the barrel to fit the sight hole.
The folding sight on mine was loose. The problem is that the detent was a ball bearing that was too loose in the hole. I turned a new rounded end cylindrical detent that fit the hole and I replaced the roll pin with a hard solid  pin. I can't remember if the longer detent stiffened up the locking of the sight, or if I put a stiffer spring in it, but either way it works.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Who makes the handguards and front sight now?  Matsucorp doesn't list the handguards on their website.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
When I got my barrel from Liemohn at the SAR West show he told me they bought all of Matsucorp's handguards.

I don't see anything other than original handguards in his store.

Liemohn Manufacturing LLC

I think this is a Sherluck front sight now that I think about it. If I do another one I'll get them from somewhere else.

I can fix it but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to.

Looks pretty mean with Magpul and Endomag inserts. The last round bolt hold open even works.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
80's Action Hero edition!

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 86fsb:
Who makes the handguards and front sight now?  Matsucorp doesn't list the handguards on their website.
View Quote

Sherluck makes the front sight parts and the handguards, and the prices are reasonable. The parts are nice but some of tolerances are a bit loose. It doesn't take much to fix them up. Of course, it's easier to do before you install them. The biggest issue is the undersized ball used for the sight detent that allows the sight to move around. A cylindrical detent sized to fit the hole eliminates the problem.

Sherluck's handguards are one-piece delrin. They are not authentic in construction and don't have heat shields, but they are very high quality and have the appearance of the original handguards. They actually worked better for me than the originals as I needed the extra room for the 5.56 gas system. I was going to put a heat resistant liner in mine, but I found I didn't need it even with some moderate full auto firing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BigRix:
80's Action Hero edition!

View Quote

The laser's almost as big as the damn gun!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it weighs more!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve played around with several different buffers  versions in my 9mm DOE. Currently I’m running the  hydraulic piston style buffer and my gun likes it best.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BigRix:
When I got my barrel from Liemohn at the SAR West show he told me they bought all of Matsucorp's handguards. 

I don't see anything other than original handguards in his store.

Liemohn Manufacturing LLC

I think this is a Sherluck front sight now that I think about it. If I do another one I'll get them from somewhere else.

I can fix it but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/CFB9A95A-673F-4B52-96E5-B9DC49B2609D-scaled.jpeg

Looks pretty mean with Magpul and Endomag inserts. The last round bolt hold open even works.
View Quote

I want to do a DOE build in .300 BLK....
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
That is a sexy build OP. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet!  I went a little different route, I used the CMMG MK9 lower for my build.  

The upper and BCG are Colt.  I got the handguards and FSB from Matsuo and ADCO did the barrel for me.

Tried it with a JP Silent Captured Spring setup, that didn't work.  I've swapped out to the Spike's ST9X.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top