Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 8:24:51 AM EDT
Which one of these two options would be the best to stack deep? I've heard some not so great things about the frontier and don't know anything about the fiocchi. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't Hornady frontier the shit thats blown up a lot of guns?
Give that shit to your enemy with an assortment of 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Wut you say? I'm looking at 200rds I just bought.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had great luck with Fiocchi
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Fiocchi
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Frontier 55 gr turned a lot of guns into grenades last year. Hornady owned none of the issues AFAIK.

Fiocchi has been gtg IME.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Fiocchi.  Hornady Frontier go boom...

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard a lot of negative, not sure if they're getting double charges or what?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with Fiocchi.

The 55gr FMJ from Frontier seemed to be a bit fucky.

I do have plenty of Frontier 75gr BTHP's, but they don't seem to have the same issues as the 55gr stuff.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Fiocchi.

Hornady Frontier 5.56 55 gr. is the only ammo I have personally witnessed fail to go bang. Seven out of twenty for the guy next to me at the range. I tried them in my rifle and same results. Primers looked like that of a fired case, but nothing lit. I have some left to burn as practice ammo and then I will not be buying anymore.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only read about bad things with the 55 grain Hornady Frontier, and that was production from at least a year ago.

The 62 and 75 grain were fine.

Fiocchi is good to go.

These days buy all you think you will shoot for 9 to 12 months.

It will get worse, when spring hits people will really want ammo bad.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard a lot of negative, not sure if they're getting double charges or what?
View Quote

You can't double charge a .223

Get the Fiocchi
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you guys positive the 75gr is gtg? I have a couple hundred rounds sitting around
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can't double charge a .223

Get the Fiocchi
View Quote

What's blowing them up?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What's blowing them up?
View Quote

Hard to say. A standard charge in a .223 leaves almost no room in the case for more powder.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#17]
id go with the Italians!! Or soon to be AR-Kansas ammo lmao
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Well it seems unanimous, everyone likes fiocchi lol. Too bad to hear about Hornady I've always had success with their other ammo I wonder why so many problems with the frontier?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hard to say. A standard charge in a .223 leaves almost no room in the case for more powder.
View Quote

Maybe too fast of a powder, too much crimp, compressed loads?  It's random enough that it's probably not the powder itself so I'd guess the crimp/overcharge.  I haven't seen where any of the newer stuff (2020) has this issue though, has anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#20]
GOOGLE LINK / FRONTIER KABOOMS

Eta link: THIS is a pretty solid compilation here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well it seems unanimous, everyone likes fiocchi lol. Too bad to hear about Hornady I've always had success with their other ammo I wonder why so many problems with the frontier?
View Quote

Because Lake City fucked up!

Hornady ammunition in general has a stellar reputation as a high value great quality brand of ammunition.

There original plant is in Grand Island, Nebraska where most of the American WhiteTail, Custom, and the old Frontier brands of ammo were made.

During the Trump Slump when Lake City was running at less than peak capacity they accepted contracts for ammunition from several companies to keep otherwise idle machines and employees busy.

Federal (who ran the plant at the time), Norma, Winchester and Hornady all had lake city produce ammo for them with their respective headstamps placed on the case and their names on the boxes.

The vast majority of this ammo proved to be just as high quality as normal Lake City ammunition but something happened in a few specific lots of Hornady Frontier 55 grain FMJ 5.56 ammo.

Guns were blowing up for some unknown reason and Hornady went radio silent refusing to acknowledge there was any problem with the ammo.

Everyone began avoiding ALL Frontier ammo as it gained a reputation for blowing up guns. And in my opinion completely ruined the image of the Frontier line of ammo in many shooter's minds, and their response ruined the entire brand's image in many others including mine.

The bad part about this is it wasn't even Hornady's original plant that was responsible for the bad ammo. However they put their name on the box and therefore their reputation on the ammo in it. They should have stood behind the product and then sued Lake City/Federal for damages to their customer's guns and the damage done to their reputation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hornady ammunition in general has a stellar reputation as a high value great quality brand of ammunition.

There original plant is in Grand Island, Nebraska where most of the American WhiteTail, Custom, and the old Frontier brands of ammo were made.

During the Trump Slump when Lake City was running at less than peak capacity they accepted contracts for ammunition from several companies to keep otherwise idle machines and employees busy.

Federal (who ran the plant at the time), Norma, Winchester and Hornady all had lake city produce ammo for them with their respective headstamps placed on the case and their names on the boxes.

The vast majority of this ammo proved to be just as high quality as normal Lake City ammunition but something happened in a few specific lots of Hornady Frontier 55 grain FMJ 5.56 ammo.

Guns were blowing up for some unknown reason and Hornady went radio silent refusing to acknowledge there was any problem with the ammo.

Everyone began avoiding ALL Frontier ammo as it gained a reputation for blowing up guns. And in my opinion completely ruined the image of the Frontier line of ammo in many shooter's minds, and their response ruined the entire brand's image in many others including mine.

The bad part about this is it wasn't even Hornady's original plant that was responsible for the bad ammo. However they put their name on the box and therefore their reputation on the ammo in it. They should have stood behind the product and then sued Lake City/Federal for damages to their customer's guns and the damage done to their reputation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i will agree, but when i can get PMC for the same or cheaper when times are normal, ill go with PMC shot 1000s or rounds and no issue
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Fiocchi is great plinking Ammo, frontier had problems with the 5.56 55gr FMJ on some lot numbers. I’ve shot like 200-240 of the 223 55gr bthp and the 5.56 75gr bthp. No over pressure problems and great accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#25]
As stated before the frontier line was made by lake city, it was Hornady bullets and box but primers were hard mil spec ones so people shooting bolt guns would get light strikes, and the kabooms were in certain lots almost all were the 5.56 55gr fmj. I think I read maybe one or two were 62gr ones.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Fiocchi all the way.
It’s a major supplier for our armed forces and has all the knowledge to make a quality product.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Of those two, Fiocchi.  PMC is gtg if you can find it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Fiocchi is +/-14 fps using a lab radar.

For production ammo, I say that is very high quality.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I just finished shooting up 300 rounds of new lot/batch Frontier 5.56 55gr... pressure was noticeably higher.  Primers flattened, case head had impressions from bolt head - tried them in 4 different AR's and all went from 3 o'clock ejection patterns to around 1 o'clock... the shorter the AR barrel, had FTE's (empty case just remained in chamber, extraction claws just couldn't extract when firing).  All AR's had over 1,000 of flawless reliability from all kinds of other ammo... we shot all the Frontier ammo up just to be sure we didn't have any left in our ammo stocks.  I'll never buy Frontier ammo again...
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Fiocchi is good quality ammo in every caliber that I've used. It tends to be on the more expensive side, so I don't buy it as often as other brands, but in this case, between the two options, I wouldn't hesitate. Stopped by a sketchy local shop today for the first time that seems to think pretty highly of Fiocchi - they had 50-round boxes of 5.56 for $60 each! Saw a customer (who didn't seem to know what type of ammo an AR uses and had to be pointed to it) buy a five 20-round boxes of Federal 55 gr MSR for $115. That's when I decided to leave.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top