Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2022 9:21:07 PM EDT
XM177 ish anyway lol. I saw one done in midlength and had to have one. I tried to match the 80% lower to the original upper as best I could. Pin welded the faux moderator to a 12.5 spikes chrome barrel. I just got the parts in when I got home so I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Gravel driveway?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle.  I need to build another of that sort of pattern...Did a Colt SP1 Carbine rebuild with a 12.7” with a pinned fake moderator to keep it non-NFA, and did not use the grenade ring on mine (can’t recall why).  Really love the super simple and lightweight carbine idea.  

But your wear patterning looks off to me.  Too many non-worn high areas next to really worn areas.  Too obvious, it would drive me crazy, which is pretty much why I avoid faking wear.  (Little bit OCD sometimes!)  Not sure what would make it better in my mind, but it just kind of jumps out at me after being an armorer on a variety of weapon types including AR’s, and seeing how they wear when carried and riding in racks a lot.  Hopefully it is exactly how you wanted it and that is what is important!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you. It was my first time distressing anything like that. I was trying to match the scratches of the upper but I did get carried away with the scotch bright.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I like that a lot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Good build but scratches look fake. Going in the wrong direction. Look at pictures of real guns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good build but scratches look fake. Going in the wrong direction. Look at pictures of real guns.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.

Also, I didn't know a mid-lenght could look weird, but it certainly does in this configuration.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like that carbine, but maybe you can work on the scratches again. They just don't look like natural wear. Maybe some steel wool may do the trick?

Frankly speaking, I do not like the Colt's Defense markings. They may be fine on a M4 clone, but much too young for a XM177E2 made in the late1960s/early 1970s.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Certainly fits well into this concept and has some modern upgrades.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/jungle-gun.1426/
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking rifle ---  did you stamp the lower yourself or farm it out ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like fun. One of my favorite flavors of Retro.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been really sick. I agree with everyone on the lower. It was my first time distressing and I really wanted to match the upper. I got the lower first already engraved before I got the upper from and arfcomer so I know it's not accurate. For some time now I've been gawking over a random build someone did and they called it an XM177E3 so did one similar. I genuinely appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Overall, looks great.

I've seen M-16's on the rack in the Army that looked pretty much the same (scratches and all).
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it looks good, man. Let us know how it shoots. Also, what sling are you going with?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Overall, looks great.

I've seen M-16's on the rack in the Army that looked pretty much the same (scratches and all).
View Quote
Thanks! I wondered that from seeing all @Combat_Diver submission it seemed most were painted.
Quoted:
I think it looks good, man. Let us know how it shoots. Also, what sling are you going with?
View Quote
Thank you, I will soon I hope. I got near death sick and doing my best to walk a few feet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks! I wondered that from seeing all @Combat_Diver submission it seemed most were painted.
Thank you, I will soon I hope. I got near death sick and doing my best to walk a few feet.
View Quote

Looks neat to me, too.

Hope you recover quickly!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#16]
While not “correct”, I like it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Current guns are painted.  XM177 weren't.  I remember that we had a few in the 1/5th SFGA arms room at Ft Bragg back around 85-86' before moving to Ft Campbell.  Then never saw them again.

CD
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top