Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2018 2:13:36 AM EDT
I started on my quest about 4-5 years ago when I got bought my first AR15.. A Frankenstein A2 Colt upper, 20” FNMI Barrel, mated to a a Stinger Arms(very early Mega) Lower with what I believe to be Colt lower parts..... the barrel is a rare gem itself. For a Frankenbuild it’s damn decent.. and a worthy first AR.  I bought it at the peak of the Obama induced FireArmageddon and it was THE ONLY black gun on the rack in the entire county, so I paid about $700 more than it’s was worth.

Here’s the pic I took the day I put it on layaway at the Pawnshop... Notice the tacticool laser pointer mounted to the barrel.

After I took the laser pointer off, I started browsing the net to find other cool accessories to hang on it instead, when I came across this picture of the Colt “Delta Team”... the HBAR, and and the Delta Elite 10mm.  

Instant infatuation... and since then I wanted them.  Then I found out how much they cost, and how hard they were to find... so I figured I’d just get the cheek riser and stuff for my AR, and maybe get the matching 1911 some day down the road.  
HAAA!
I couldn’t even find decent reproduction parts, let alone the real colt branded parts, so the idea went on the back burner. I have been passively keeping an eye out ever since..

I picked up the Tasco scope at a gun show a couple years ago. Only paid $20...It’s NOS in the box, but it’s missing the mounting screws. Sometime later I found a set of delta badges that I plan on affixing to an A2 grip.... not much but it’s a start.. and only about $30 invested.  Then squat.
I’ve bought, built, rebuilt, sold and traded dozens of ARs, and have bought and sold and traded countless AR parts and accessories in the years since(AR addiction is a very real thing!) I’ve been to countless gunshows both as a vendor and a shopper, and NOTHING for the Delta HBAR crossed the tables.

I all but gave up....

Then last month I hit the jackpot... A NOS Colt logo  cheek riser... Sticker says $150 which ida gladly paid.... Nope $50!
then today I found an original NOS Colt branded ARMS mount... $40!  Talk about unobtainium! Not only have I found most of the parts, they are all New Old Stock!

Now I just need to find those pesky mounting screws, and the black leather sling, and I’ll have everything I need... (IM me if you can help)
... Well besides the Rifle.  I sold it to my cousin about 3 years ago.
Fortunately I can buy it back at any time, but better yet I have a line on a VERY nice preban Sporter Match HBAR.
I’m currently trying to sell everthing I can to get it...but providing for teenagers, bills, and whatnot make for slow going..
Hell, the way things are going I may have to sell the whole project... dream rifle be damned.  The cost of responsible parenting.
The 1911 will have to wait a long while yet.

Just look at it... So ugly, it’s beautiful!!!  I like to think of it like a Ruben Sandwich... The individual components when tasted separately are awful, but something about the way they come together.... deliciousness!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There are plenty of authentic Delta HBAR's available on Gunbroker. Usually go for 2 to 3000 depending on condition and accessories
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are plenty of authentic Delta HBAR's available on Gunbroker. Usually go for 2 to 3000 depending on condition and accessories
View Quote
Anyone with a credit card can just buy one... I like the challenge of the hunt.  Finding the parts is half the fun. Besides I’m a cheap bastard errr frugal guy. I’ll be less than $1200 into it all said and done including the preban 6600.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I  pretty certain l have at least one set of cheap Tasco scope rings in my box of old parts.  Ill dig through it in the morning, if l don't forget.

If you don't hear from me in a day or two shoot me an lM to remind me.

Found them!  IM me a mailing address and I'll send them out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I  pretty certain l have at least one set of cheap Tasco scope rings in my box of old parts.  Ill dig through it in the morning, if l don't forget.

If you don't hear from me in a day or two shoot me an lM to remind me.

Found them!  IM me a mailing address and I'll send them out.
View Quote
It uses what a Tasco calls “clamping  legs” not regular rings.  The scope has a base on it that looks kinda like a pic rail that has to be clamped to the ARMS mount... it’s a proprietary system.  I think the Burris Eliminator uses something similar.  
If you do have those clamps, you will be my hero!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's what l have;

If you can use the knobs and one clamping piece you can have them.  But the shaft will be far to short as these are the 3/8" tipoff rings usually used on .22s.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried for a couple years but could never get a sling. Finally I gave up.  Good luck with it.

If I were you’d I’d have someone like Braceman custom engrave an 80% lower with the exact Delta HBAR rollmark.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I admire your patience! I'm in dire need of the cheek riser.  I could swear I saw them all over the place... 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The last piece I am chasing is the Colt logo buttstock cheek riser. I also like searching high and low to cobble together pieces for a build.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one I bought with all the HBAR stuff along with the Colt .22 conversion kit [was new in the packaging]  and an extra .22 mag for it.

$600.Still have it after all these years. Guys wife wouldn't allow him to own it.

Been an excellent rifle.

Without the cheekpiece I don't think I would have enjoyed shooting it as much.

SN started with a "GS" prefix and it didn't have the damn block in it. I originally got on the site WAY back when trying to find out about the GS prefix.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I admire your patience! I'm in dire need of the cheek riser.  I could swear I saw them all over the place... 20 years ago.
View Quote
You did and I bought one back then on a Colt buttstock NOS for 39.99, sorry sold it last year on Gunbroker for 453.05.

I had a Delta HBAR I bought new in 1988, sold it in 1993 after buying a Colt competition HBAR which I still have.

Still have 3 Tasco Delta HBAR scopes, I like them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I started on my quest about 4-5 years ago when I got bought my first AR15.. A Frankenstein A2 Colt upper, 20" FNMI Barrel, mated to a a Stinger Arms(very early Mega) Lower with what I believe to be Colt lower parts..... the barrel is a rare gem itself. For a Frankenbuild it's damn decent.. and a worthy first AR.  I bought it at the peak of the Obama induced FireArmageddon and it was THE ONLY black gun on the rack in the entire county, so I paid about $700 more than it's was worth.

Here's the pic I took the day I put it on layaway at the Pawnshop... Notice the tacticool laser pointer mounted to the barrel.
https://i.postimg.cc/nLTcDkq9/F7_E17_C22-_A9_E7-408_D-_AA32-1_D7_EA28_D3_C16.jpg

After I took the laser pointer off, I started browsing the net to find other cool accessories to hang on it instead, when I came across this picture of the Colt "Delta Team"... the HBAR, and and the Delta Elite 10mm.  
https://i.postimg.cc/1t50GJTk/E607_CF44-_F182-4023-_ABC0-162_DAD139_C38.jpg

Instant infatuation... and since then I wanted them.  Then I found out how much they cost, and how hard they were to find... so I figured I'd just get the cheek riser and stuff for my AR, and maybe get the matching 1911 some day down the road.  
HAAA!
I couldn't even find decent reproduction parts, let alone the real colt branded parts, so the idea went on the back burner. I have been passively keeping an eye out ever since..

I picked up the Tasco scope at a gun show a couple years ago. Only paid $20...It's NOS in the box, but it's missing the mounting screws. Sometime later I found a set of delta badges that I plan on affixing to an A2 grip.... not much but it's a start.. and only about $30 invested.  Then squat.
I've bought, built, rebuilt, sold and traded dozens of ARs, and have bought and sold and traded countless AR parts and accessories in the years since(AR addiction is a very real thing!) I've been to countless gunshows both as a vendor and a shopper, and NOTHING for the Delta HBAR crossed the tables.

I all but gave up....

Then last month I hit the jackpot... A NOS Colt logo  cheek riser... Sticker says $150 which ida gladly paid.... Nope $50!
then today I found an original NOS Colt branded ARMS mount... $40!  Talk about unobtainium! Not only have I found most of the parts, they are all New Old Stock!

https://i.postimg.cc/mrTgkq1G/DAC93_DE8-_C061-4529-901_B-9002480_D4782.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SRYyHb3c/E0666030-245_D-40_BB-9_F0_C-_F8_CAF14_B2_D68.jpg
Now I just need to find those pesky mounting screws, and the black leather sling, and I'll have everything I need... (IM me if you can help)
... Well besides the Rifle.  I sold it to my cousin about 3 years ago.
Fortunately I can buy it back at any time, but better yet I have a line on a VERY nice preban Sporter Match HBAR.
I'm currently trying to sell everthing I can to get it...but providing for teenagers, bills, and whatnot make for slow going..
Hell, the way things are going I may have to sell the whole project... dream rifle be damned.  The cost of responsible parenting.
The 1911 will have to wait a long while yet.

Just look at it... So ugly, it's beautiful!!!  I like to think of it like a Ruben Sandwich... The individual components when tasted separately are awful, but something about the way they come together.... deliciousness!!!
https://i.postimg.cc/W3NRMcss/EA8914_CD-456_E-4673-_B8_B0-12_BBF09051_BD.jpg
View Quote
 Awesome quest, my friend!!!  I, too, have been in love with both Delta Elites and Delta HBARs for a long, long time.

My quest has taken an odd turn.  My Delta Elite is pretty much a fully gutted custom but externally very conservative.

On my Delta Rifle...I went a bit resto-mod -slash- "weird school".

Like you, I wanted to build.  I came across a CHERRY R6551 a few years ago and I traded my M1A Scout for the rifle and a few mags.  I still have not stumbled across a Colt branded cheek piece so I am using an off brand at the moment...but it fits very well and is nicely built.  Here was the conundrum....to add a true HBAR barrel or not.  Well, darn it, this barrel shoots so well that I chose to create a GBAR (Gov't Barrel) instead because a good shooting barrel is a good shooting barrel. ( but, shhh, let's keep that between us )

I then somehow procured and ARMS mount, I think from a VERY awesome and very generous board member IIRC.

Since the OEM Delta scope LOOKED great but was actually a bit lackluster, I've been playing with various intermediate optics that are similar in function ( simple reticle, modest power ) but are ,more durable and have better glass and overall performance.  I have also gone up to 30mm tubes.

I just tested a Steiner Model 5004 scope was has similar "panache" and was REALLLLY happy with it.  Think that is what I shall put on mine.  Time for some good 30mm, low rings.

This WAS my "GBAR" before I ditched the crappy Zeiss ( go figure that off all the Japanese scopes that rock...Zeiss is NOT one of them).... OH WAIT!  That was a Nikon I had laying around for a "proof of concept" setup.  LOL...that was a better scope than the Zeiss!!!  LOLOL!!!

ALAS...still a work in progress........

Good luck on finishing your project, OP!!!!!!!!!!!  Hope it all comes together super clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#12]
If someone in the group needs a Colt cheek riser I have one. Just PM me. I am not actively selling but for someone in the group I will let it go.  I have an original 6600DH so don't need the extra riser
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If someone in the group needs a Colt cheek riser I have one. Just PM me. I am not actively selling but for someone in the group I will let it go.  I have an original 6600DH so don't need the extra riser
View Quote
I would love to replace mine with a proper Colt.

PM sent.

ETA:  I did PM you and just did again....it's weird....I am not getting an error but my PMs aren't showing up in my sent messages, either.  Let me know if you don't get it/them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I love your quest! I went on one myself a few years back. No luck on the Colt branded sling though. I have since removed the bi-pod...

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top