Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 2:52:53 PM EDT
This was a long term project that started years ago when I rescued this pre-ban Colt 6520 lower.  The previous owner had installed a 9mm FCG and some commercial stock. The sear block had also been removed. I found and installed a NOS Colt two-position receiver extension, and standard FCG. The project languished between deployments and job changes, I missed some NOS 6520 uppers, but had the idea to make a 723 clone with it.  Found a NOS gray Colt delta ring and then a C8 upper with carbine feed ramp cuts that I had refinished by US Anodizing to match the delta ring. Later I found an excellent condition gray Colt charging handle that matched and finally an export M4 upper with an A2 upper I sourced the non-F front sight barrel from.  Anyways, just got the finished upper back from Specialized Armament. Ken did his 14.5-16" conversion on it. I was stoked when I opened it up today. Slapped in a NOS  C stamped BCG and here it is.

And some other odds and ends I've collected over the years for the next stages of the project.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That thang's a real beaut!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Turned out great!

On the barrel, did you use a spacer behind the flash hider to bring it to 16"?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Charles_P_S:
Turned out great!

On the barrel, did you use a spacer behind the flash hider to bring it to 16"?
View Quote

Thanks!

Not exactly, Specialized Armament makes a proprietary, extended A2-style flash suppressor that gives the appearance of an A2.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nicely done. Down to the correct extension nut. Looks like a authentic CAR stock as well. The 723 is hard to beat. You did a good job. Enjoy that one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JoeBud:
Very nicely done. Down to the correct extension nut. Looks like a authentic CAR stock as well. The 723 is hard to beat. You did a good job. Enjoy that one.
View Quote

Yep, all Colt.

I don't know if the M203 sling swivel is period correct for those units that used this carbine in the late 80s and early 90s, but I like them, and sourced one with the reversible side plate for the A2 or A1 profile barrels.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Not exactly, Specialized Armament makes a proprietary, extended A2-style flash suppressor that gives the appearance of an A2.
https://i.imgur.com/cgDS37d.jpg
View Quote
That's awesome, I have a couple of A2X flashiders that I need to replace with these!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It's the second one of these I've had him do on a Colt upper.  I think @Solodallas has had a few done too.  They look great, fantastic machining.

That said, I'm a little inspired by your build with the lightweight Green Mountain barrel and I"m thinking about grabbing one of those to use with another C8 upper I have that's a close color match.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:

Specialized Armament makes a proprietary, extended A2-style flash suppressor that gives the appearance of an A2.
View Quote

That's almost a Simon Sleeve...  
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
That turned out fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Stunner!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#11]
looks good
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By XDm525Forty:

That's almost a Simon Sleeve...  
View Quote

Not really, it's basically the same dimensions as an A2 compensator but with an extension at the aft end the same diameter as the barrel, as opposed to the extended length A2X style you typically see.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That said, I'm a little inspired by your build with the lightweight Green Mountain barrel and I"m thinking about grabbing one of those to use with another C8 upper I have that's a close color match.It
View Quote
It would be cool to have a nice pair of uppers to depict both of the 723 configurations. But you know what would happen; you would end up having to get another lower and do a whole new carbine
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Gorgeous.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Any tips on where to find that carry handle mount? My ARMS M16A1A2 is a loaner from my old man.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Good looking build!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys, I sincerely appreciate all the compliments. I was very excited to finally get this one finished and with how it turned out.

ETA: And I got it to the range last weekend, so light and handy, shoots like a dream.

Quoted:
Any tips on where to find that carry handle mount? My ARMS M16A1A2 is a loaner from my old man.
View Quote

I got this one from Brownells: https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/ar-15-m16-scope-mount-prod8850.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=MGW

I've also got an older 80s vintage Colt marked A1/A2 that is very similar to the ARMS mount laying around somewhere. The MGW seems more period correct for use by US special forces though.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top