Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2018 12:03:50 AM EDT
All of this talk about XM193 has me a bit confused and wondering.  It looks like Federal makes 3 different types of XM193.  American Eagle (the ol stand by), Frontier (with the Hornady bullet), and Independence.

Now all three are M193 clones, and all three are from Federal.  Frontier's distinction is easy, it is made with the Hornady bullet.  However, what is the difference between American Eagle XM193 and Independence XM193?  Why have two different types of "XM193" in the same packaging?  Are they made to different specs, or made from different factories?  Anyone have any info on this?  I heard that Independence used to be made in Israel, but is now made in America.  Very confusing!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I understood the independence ammo is made in Israel with components shipped from the US.

The federal and American Eagle are just different boxes
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
That post was from 2013 though.  From what I've heard, Independence used to say made in Israel, and now it says made in USA.  So is it made in USA now from the Lake city plant?  And is so, what distinguishes it from American Eagle XM193?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
You will lose your mind trying to figure out differences between the various M193 clones. Even from the same manufacturer (name brand) they will make big changes from lot to lot ie Made in Israel vs. Made in USA. They will change powders, bullets, and change velocity specs out of the blue.

And once you find out which is the best for you, the manufacturer will change something.

I try to use Federal XM193 using LC brass. IMI is OK but accuracy varies from lot to lot.

Personally, I'd just get Wolf Gold and hope they don't change their winning formula.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm just curious if Independence is still made in Israel, or if it's made in USA now?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Independence has been covered.

Federal (owned by Vista) does not make M193.  They buy it from the current tenant of Lake City. It’s all made from Lake City materials.

Frontier M193 is a Hornady product.  Hornady sends the projectile to Lake City where it is loaded into cases made at Lake City and with propellant provided by Lake City.  I don’t think they require sealant like milspec M193 either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think Independence has been covered as it is no longer made in Israel to my understanding.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I think Independence is like a "Wolf" for ATK products in that they source ammo from a variety of places: Federal, LC, CCI....Thus, components may change without notification from lot to lot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think Independence is like a "Wolf" for ATK products in that they source ammo from a variety of places: Federal, LC, CCI....Thus, components may change without notification from lot to lot.
View Quote
That is my understanding also.   For M193 clones the Tiwanese have had by far the most consistency with wolf gold than any other 55gr I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is my understanding also.   For M193 clones the Tiwanese have had by far the most consistency with wolf gold than any other 55gr I've tried.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then you haven't tried Magtech yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then you haven't tried Magtech yet.
View Quote
Which Magtec M193? The CBC surplus stuff or some commercial version?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#15]
The new Magtech Tactical M193.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top