Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2021 8:28:25 PM EDT
Looking to get an ambi safety...

My only concern is the right side lever getting in the way of my finger when it is on ‘fire’
So I’m thinking a short lever on that side so it doesn’t get in the way?

What are your favorites?
I’ve looked at the Radian - just because I love their CH and they make good stuff
Also looked at the armaspec which looks a little flashier but still has a short lever for the right side.

What else?
I want a quality product with zero chance of the safety not working correctly or allowing firing when on safe.
Looking for a 90 degree lever most likely too, not 45
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the talon as I really like the way the levers are held on.
A couple other to consider on the higher end are the forward controls design and the battle arms development safeties.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to think that OEM was gud enuff. Then I got a Radian Talon and found out that jus as gud penny pinching was keeping myself from evolving. The Talon was ten times better than an OEM. Having had my penny pinching gud enuff penny pinching ignorance left behind in the trash where it belonged, a member here showed us his FCD ASF90. Curious to learn for myself, I decided to see it in person and didn't blink at the price. I've been so thankful that I did. I liked it so much that I replaced every rifle that already had a Talon with the ASF90's.

So long story short, the Forward Controls Design ASF90 is THE WAY as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I never really noticed or it never really bothered me. Most of my lowers have the CMMG ambi safety. I also have the Knight's Armament and Colt ambi safeties on other ARs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use inexpensive ambi safeties that match the profile of regular safeties.

Feels fine and works fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
BAD ASS levers.

Clicky
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently swapped out my standard Daniel Defense ambi for a Talon. Took a short half day class earlier this week and I'm actually not a fan. It's not nearly as smooth and solid of a click as the DD lever. I ordered a Forward Control Design ASF90 to try, but if that's not any better I'll just go back to the standard DD lever and stick with that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
LMT
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Geissele with dog leg levers if you plan to stick with a 90 degree safety.  It’s pricey but nice.

Aim surplus set up as a 45 degree safety if your budget is tight.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Forward controls with the Q levers. Ambi or non ambi, it's the best safety I've used. Exceptional quality, positive and tactile movement, pinned into place, modular.

Everything you want in a safety with no fluff or pointless aesthetic appendages.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I really liked my Battle Arms one until I got a Radian Weapons one
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple BAD-ASS ones mentioned and really like them.

I also like my Joe Bob's ambi safety with the scalloped side. It's very comfortable and easy to engage. Very cheap too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The Joe Bob’s ones are a good value and comfy for right handed shooters. I think you can put the scalloped lever on either side though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]
KAC. I really like the option for that scalloped weak side selector.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THIS ^^^^

I just changed from Bad Ass to Forward Controls Design, its an update of the original short throw safety that he ORIGINALLY designed for Bad Ass!

Even if you don’t want Short Throw, his regular safety is a better design. Not for penny pinchers, but buy once, cry once!

This is the unit I purchased (with the short right side lever) LINK

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forward controls with the Q levers. Ambi or non ambi, it's the best safety I've used. Exceptional quality, positive and tactile movement, pinned into place, modular.

Everything you want in a safety with no fluff or pointless aesthetic appendages.

THIS ^^^^

I just changed from Bad Ass to Forward Controls Design, its an update of the original short throw safety that he ORIGINALLY designed for Bad Ass!

Even if you don’t want Short Throw, his regular safety is a better design. Not for penny pinchers, but buy once, cry once!

This is the unit I purchased (with the short right side lever) LINK

This is the one I just got. the 50 degree lever. Highest quality ambi selector I've used.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
One more vote for JoeBob's.  The AIM offering is a tad more expensive and very similar, but I prefer the scallop of the off side that JoeBob's has
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking to get an ambi safety...

My only concern is the right side lever getting in the way of my finger when it is on ‘fire’
So I’m thinking a short lever on that side so it doesn’t get in the way?

What are your favorites?
I’ve looked at the Radian - just because I love their CH and they make good stuff
Also looked at the armaspec which looks a little flashier but still has a short lever for the right side.

What else?
I want a quality product with zero chance of the safety not working correctly or allowing firing when on safe.
Looking for a 90 degree lever most likely too, not 45
View Quote

Well the getting in the way is why I gave up ambi safety and 45 degree is the only way you are going to even get close to what you want for the trigger finger so I will leave you to figure out that for yourself once you get over your imaginary product.

The V7 hybrid is my favorite safety and it is 90 or 45 degree as well as the lightest and IMO the best made. I only run 45 degree right hand safety at this point... because I'm right handed and it works best.

Also, what do you not like about a 45 degree safety? If you have not used one I would suggest trying one instead of using a vivid imagination to decide your preferences.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BAD ASS levers.

Clicky
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One more vote for JoeBob's.  The AIM offering is a tad more expensive and very similar, but I prefer the scallop of the off side that JoeBob's has
View Quote

This. And bang for the buck is good, too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#21]
OP Here -  thanks for all the responses...

I just bought a Battle Arms BAD-ASS PRO 90 degree switch to try it out. I have their extended mag release that I like, so why not pair it with the safety selector.
I like they are modular and can get replacement pieces.
I'll report back how I like it.
I also looked at the el-cheapo Joe Bobs switch... it had mixed reviews, but perhaps I'll buy one for my "beater" build to try one of those out too... they are cheap enough. Haha.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I have enjoyed Radian and Forward Controls.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Radian Talon only for me....these are fantastic and install very easy....

ETA:  77Bronc's 7777th post
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]
OP here...
I received my battle arms bad ass safety...I went with the 90 degree only option.
I just got everything installed and I am liking it!! Positive “clicks” and functions great, looks good too.

I may try a Radian next time, just to have something different, but I’d highly recommend the bad ass and would def buy again!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP here...
I received my battle arms bad ass safety...I went with the 90 degree only option.
I just got everything installed and I am liking it!! Positive "clicks" and functions great, looks good too.

I may try a Radian next time, just to have something different, but I'd highly recommend the bad ass and would def buy again!
View Quote
BAD makes really good stuff, so not surprised their safety is GTG. I believe Roger of FCD fame used to work with them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FCD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
FCD

Quoted:
LMT

Pick one, and you'll be forever happy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I know you already got one, but there are follow up posts, so ill add my 2 cents.

I use the DSG arms abi safety of my rifles.

Something to look at:

https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-dsg-4201-0019
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I just installed the Battle Arms Development Lite on my new AR 10 build. It seems solid and I like that there is no exposed screws or fasteners
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Joe Bob’s ones are a good value and comfy for right handed shooters. I think you can put the scalloped lever on either side though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I went with a Radian Talon. I was ordering one of their Raptor charging handles, and they run a deal where you get a discount if you buy both at once.

It should be here tomorrow, but I have read great things on it, and coupled with the discount, I figured why not.

I have also read great things about the FCD unit, FWIW
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Buy the Radian and never look back. It is the ONLY part that I run on every single one of my ARs, even the MP 15-22!
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a couple BAD-ASS ones mentioned and really like them.

I also like my Joe Bob's ambi safety with the scalloped side. It's very comfortable and easy to engage. Very cheap too.
View Quote

100% agree.

Living in California, ambi safeties are pretty much a necessity with our "featureless" rifles.  I started with a BAD-ASS safety probably 5 years ago, and it's fantastic - but more expensive than I'd prefer.

After I found the JoeBob's safety at $15, I stocked up to put them on every AR I own.  For the price, it's really hard to beat, and love the tapered lever on the strong-side.  I have all of mine set to the 60° throw, and they work flawlessly on my AR15s and Aero M5.   I can't justify a $60+ safety lever on every AR I own, so the JBO safety hits the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I have Strike Ind. Hex 60/90 on all of my ARs. I like 'em.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm all about high value and good function.
Damage Industries 45* has been great.
I have many of them.
I add the short/slim lever to the right side.
It's only a few $ extra.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Sparrow Dynamics....

https://www.sparrowdynamics.com/Ambi-Safety-AR-p/ssa-15-ls.htm
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top