Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2024 6:11:26 PM EDT
I thought this was great Ammo, I exclusively shot this ammo, because PSA supposedly owns the original 300aac tooling. That was until today, when I had a permanently disabling failure of AAC Ammo. There was a but load of gas that blew out the side of my gun, and a round stuck in the chamber. Mortar the gun clear and now it wont seat a round. Check the Ammo and find a ring impression on the bullet, and what looks to be the case neck stuck in the chamber. I’ve been beating on the thing with a brass jag with no success, my gun is a big paper weight now that I have to take apart again and ship parts out for months! How I’m I supposed to trust AAC Ammo again after this, and I have hundreds of rounds sitting here! This barrel was a perfect one sent to me directly from ballistic advantage
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop beating on the poor thing. You can try a nice tight fitting brush. Insert into the neck area and then pull out. You might get lucky.

Next time, try lightly tapping on the charging handle with the catch released.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m cutting the story short bc I’ve already been emailing it to PSA. There was a progression of attempts to clear and fix the problem , it’s clearly not coming out with anything I have
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a you tube video of a guy using a screw on nut with a zerk fitting to create pressure to push one out
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s really creative. I’ll consider trying something like that..

I’m really at a crossroads, AAC ammo was a big reason for selecting 300 blackout, and now I can’t trust it… I’m considering either reloading all of my ammo at this point, or abandoning 300 blackout for a different ammo manufacture source for a different caliber..

I was about to finish another 300 blackout and buy a bunch more ammo too… not now
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a you tube video of a guy using a screw on nut with a zerk fitting to create pressure to push one out
View Quote

Anyone find the link for this?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
A screw extractor will remove the case neck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A screw extractor will remove the case neck.
View Quote

I’ll probably have to give this a try..

I’ve  suspended my 11.5” 300blk special use build and considering making it a 11.5” 5.56 now just to not shoot anymore aac ammo. I’ve been reloading and shooting  5.56 for over 15 years and never had a problem, nothing ever like this.  

I’m waiting for PSA now and planning to return all of my ammo and orders for the past year
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing is fixed , it’s going to take a long time making this right again…

I guess it’s just cheap Ammo, and maybe I should have expected something like this.. maybe I have to buy higher quality Ammo, and except the cost…

I’m looking at the Hornady Frontier 125gt now, or the Sig elite 125gr for the range

I already load v-max or varmagetton depending where I am.

Reloading was a big motivation for using AAC brass but obviously I can’t use it for that now..
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought this was great Ammo, I exclusively shot this ammo, because PSA supposedly owns the original 300aac tooling. That was until today, when I had a permanently disabling failure of AAC Ammo. There was a but load of gas that blew out the side of my gun, and a round stuck in the chamber. Mortar the gun clear and now it wont seat a round. Check the Ammo and find a ring impression on the bullet, and what looks to be the case neck stuck in the chamber. I’ve been beating on the thing with a brass jag with no success, my gun is a big paper weight now that I have to take apart again and ship parts out for months! How I’m I supposed to trust AAC Ammo again after this, and I have hundreds of rounds sitting here! This barrel was a perfect one sent to me directly from ballistic advantage
View Quote

I had a similar experience with Federal ammo, except it damaged the topstrap of the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had a similar experience with Federal ammo, except it damaged the topstrap of the pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen with any type of ammo, and is more often than not the fault of the gun, not the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It can happen with any type of ammo, and is more often than not the fault of the gun, not the ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’ve heard of enough people who don’t clean their guns, but I don’t buy that

Quoted:

I had always considered federal to be okay, I think it use to be the preferred self defense pistol round. I had some 147gr brass jacketed 9mm. My little brother shot it over 10 years later and still said it was punchy over a standard round.

The thing is I’ve only ever heard of ammo possibly coming apart after getting reloaded multiple times. The failures were also at the base, or the case neck splitting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Update report, the FMJ bullet was removed from my barrel today. It exploded through the middle of the bullet, expanding the jacketing around the inside of the barrel, making it look almost smooth from the bore, and like a case neck from the back. There was shrapnel in the upper that looked like led and bullet jacket melted and mangled together.

Sorry I don’t have an easy way to upload photos here atm
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Update report, the FMJ bullet was removed from my barrel today. It exploded through the middle of the bullet, expanding the jacketing around the inside of the barrel, making it look almost smooth from the bore, and like a case neck from the back. There was shrapnel in the upper that looked like led and bullet jacket melted and mangled together.

Sorry I don’t have an easy way to upload photos here atm
View Quote

Who removed it? I've seen people post about KB from all kinds of different ammo manufacturers. I don't think I would write of AAC solely because of this. I would however no longer use the lot that it came from. Can you post the lot number in case others have some from the same lot? If you are a reloader, you could pull the bullets and then reload them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who removed it? I've seen people post about KB from all kinds of different ammo manufacturers. I don't think I would write of AAC solely because of this. I would however no longer use the lot that it came from. Can you post the lot number in case others have some from the same lot? If you are a reloader, you could pull the bullets and then reload them.
View Quote

No body I know has seen or heard of this happen.

Why would you want to reload the bullets? I’m not shooting them
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No body I know has seen or heard of this happen.

Why would you want to reload the bullets? I’m not shooting them
View Quote

You think it was the bullet construction and not from a powder charge?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You think it was the bullet construction and not from a powder charge?
View Quote

Considering 300 Blackout can basically be loaded to max capacity and still be okay… I’m not saying literally do that, but I’ve seen enough reports of people loading 20-21gr compressing powders, and still not or only just seeing slight flattening of primers. My conclusion is it’s pretty hard to blow up 300blk with powder.

It’s my immediate thought the copper was pulled too thin during the swedging or forming of the bullet. I believe PSA is making those bullets themselves
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]
OP I don’t know a lot about that particular ammo allow me to hopefully provide a bit of perspective:  US Military small arms ammunition is subjected to the most strict quality control that manufactures have available.  Losing a DOD contract because of dead/injured soldiers is extremely high on the list of “don’t do” by the manufacturers.

Nevertheless, they blow up firearms and/or cause malfunctions that deadline the weapon every day.  Stuff happens and it finally happened to you.  Unless their is an established systemic failure across the board for this particular manufacturer:  Consider it a statistical anomaly, shake it off and drive on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP I don’t know a lot about that particular ammo allow me to hopefully provide a bit of perspective:  US Military small arms ammunition is subjected to the most strict quality control that manufactures have available.  Losing a DOD contract because of dead/injured soldiers is extremely high on the list of “don’t do” by the manufacturers.

Nevertheless, they blow up firearms and/or cause malfunctions that deadline the weapon every day.  Stuff happens and it finally happened to you.  Unless their is an established systemic failure across the board for this particular manufacturer:  Consider it a statistical anomaly, shake it off and drive on.
View Quote

I’m someone who will learn every aspect of something inside out, and understand why. But you’re right, back up secondary guns are very important.. buy more guns ??
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Considering 300 Blackout can basically be loaded to max capacity and still be okay… I’m not saying literally do that, but I’ve seen enough reports of people loading 20-21gr compressing powders, and still not or only just seeing slight flattening of primers. My conclusion is it’s pretty hard to blow up 300blk with powder.

It’s my immediate thought the copper was pulled too thin during the swedging or forming of the bullet. I believe PSA is making those bullets themselves
View Quote

I suppose that’s possible. Could it have also been caused by an under charged round? I’ve read that under charges can cause a KB by the powder all igniting at once. If that happened it could cause the projectile to get lodged.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm confused. Was this a squib or a kaboom?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I suppose that’s possible. Could it have also been caused by an under charged round? I’ve read that under charges can cause a KB by the powder all igniting at once. If that happened it could cause the projectile to get lodged.
View Quote

Yull have to see the bullet that came out. If you have an easy way to upload photos I’m open to suggestions there.

Looks like it exploded through the middle of the bullet as the bullet just started into the rifling. The bullet expanded around the inside of the barrel and hollow through the middle.

I don’t know what happen to the shell, being an indoor range with lots of brass on the ground and having to mortar the shell out, whatever came out was probably lost down range. I couldn’t find it.

Idk what KB stands for..
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yull have to see the bullet that came out. If you have an easy way to upload photos I’m open to suggestions there.

Looks like it exploded through the middle of the bullet as the bullet just started into the rifling. The bullet expanded around the inside of the barrel and hollow through the middle.

I don’t know what happen to the shell, being an indoor range with lots of brass on the ground and having to mortar the shell out, whatever came out was probably lost down range. I couldn’t find it.

Idk what KB stands for..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idk what KB stands for..

KB:Ka-boom

Postimages for easy uploading of images.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
if something went through the center of a bullet and flattened it out from the inside, could it have been a squib followed by another round?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Short answer...shit happens.

Good argument to reload. I have 42k rounds through my 300 BLK. Every single one went bang properly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good argument to reload. I have 42k rounds through my 300 BLK. Every single one went bang properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m getting things together for it.

Quoted:
if something went through the center of a bullet and flattened it out from the inside, could it have been a squib followed by another round?

Didn’t make it far enough,  wouldn’t seat another round.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I had something similar happen with another ammo brand.  I couldn’t get another round to load into the chamber.  After looking at it for a while it occurred to me there was something in the chamber that I thought was part of the neck of the casing.  I got in touch with the barrel manufacturer and sent it to them.  Come to find out the lead had shot out of the bullet leaving the jacket in a perfect circle just inside the barrel past the chamber.  The barrel guy told me it looked like there had been 2 rounds that did it.   Barrel was done unfortunately.  But they took care of me.  The ammo manufacturer took care of things on their end as well, buying me a new barrel and taking all that ammo back.  So I feel your pain.  I’ve been shooting a lot of AAC 125gr 300 blk with no trouble though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had something similar happen with another ammo brand.  I couldn’t get another round to load into the chamber.  After looking at it for a while it occurred to me there was something in the chamber that I thought was part of the neck of the casing.  I got in touch with the barrel manufacturer and sent it to them.  Come to find out the lead had shot out of the bullet leaving the jacket in a perfect circle just inside the barrel past the chamber.  The barrel guy told me it looked like there had been 2 rounds that did it.   Barrel was done unfortunately.  But they took care of me.  The ammo manufacturer took care of things on their end as well, buying me a new barrel and taking all that ammo back.  So I feel your pain.  I’ve been shooting a lot of AAC 125gr 300 blk with no trouble though.
View Quote

That’s what looks to have happened with the led shooting out the middle. I hope this barrel isn’t damaged… my Receiver is from getting the bullet removed. Different hands and tools being on it, this gun was perfect … I’m not happy
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#29]
This sounds like what happened to one of my 300 Blackout 110 grain V-Max rounds in 2015.  Hand loads not factory.

Shot the round, rifle cycled, fed the next round but bolt wouldn’t close all the way. The tip of the next round was poked into the hole that was blown through the base of the jacket you see here. All the lead exited the barrel. I was really lucky the jacket stayed back enough to keep the next round from chambering fully. You can see the dent ring on the unfired round in the 3rd photo.  

I emailed Hornady at the time, and was told that they had heard of the issue, and oddly,  with 300 Blk. I never pursued the issue further.  I finished up the rest of the V-Max with no issues and switched to Varmageddon 110’s going forward.

Edit: I've been around a while but it looks like I don't have enough posts for the images to show automatically, but the image links work.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This sounds like what happened to one of my 300 Blackout 110 grain V-Max rounds in 2015.  Hand loads not factory.

Shot the round, rifle cycled, fed the next round but bolt wouldn’t close all the way. The tip of the next round was poked into the hole that was blown through the base of the jacket you see here. All the lead exited the barrel. I was really lucky the jacket stayed back enough to keep the next round from chambering fully. You can see the dent ring on the unfired round in the 3rd photo.  

I emailed Hornady at the time, and was told that they had heard of the issue, and oddly,  with 300 Blk. I never pursued the issue further.  I finished up the rest of the V-Max with no issues and switched to Varmageddon 110’s going forward.

Edit: I've been around a while but it looks like I don't have enough posts for the images to show automatically, but the image links work.

https://i.imgur.com/epWUyyS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/phm85KS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/L3DyVPR.jpeg
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if it had anything to do with open based bullets, but I think the v-max has a solid base

Scary and surprising to hear that with Hornady , they are supposed to be “the best” or cornering the ammo game at least.. and I just invested in a bunch of their ammo seeing I’ll probably buy their reloading dies
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/epWUyyS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/phm85KS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/L3DyVPR.jpeg
View Quote

It would seem to me that there was no lead core in that vmax. They are a closed cup bullet, so when it fired it just blew the base out. The problem with the acc ammo wouldn't deter me. Millions of rounds are produced every year, there's bound to be a few bad ones. I'm sure PSA will take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Now the photos come up. I don’t often click external links , lol.

That’s very much like mine, although yours is much cleaner split. Mine looks jagged around the end it split, not uniform like that. I almost suspect some of the molten led came through the gas system into my upper but idk if that’s possible.. maybe it was part of the shell or whatever came out

I shot 80rds of Hornady 125gr fmj no problem today. My gun is blemished from the battle, but it’s a boss… I don’t see psa making up for my losses, only taking back what’s left.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting info learned today. I was told this rare situation can occur when there is not enough charge to expel the bullet, the bullet gets stuck and blows its core out having to expel the pressure somewhere. This was reported in hand loading pistol rounds.

On another note, my gun is knocking the charging handle loose now, possibly from more recoil with the Hornady Frontier Ammo?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I got an incomplete refund today (and still pending)… my emails aren’t being replied too. I’ve been waiting to see how smooth this went before returning the second order, this is crazy

I only got 10 rounds into 200 from the batch Scl3cd141

I’ve tried posting this batch number on YouTube twice for someone asking and the post disappeared.

I lost an entire range day and fees, an entire weekend getting the bullet removed

if they won’t refund me I’ll contest the charges on my card… this is bs

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Let Josiah do his thing....and report back to us. I'm guessing he'll get you taken care of AND keep you as customer. I would be very surprised if they don't make things right...IF this was a
ammo failure. Be patient and allow PSA the chance to make things right.  
I'm curious how this entire saga should have been handled from the get go. My guess would be to contact PSA, explain what happend and allow them to make it right. The problem with
that line of thought is how lousy almost ALL online vendors have become as far as customer service. It's usually impossible to be able to talk someone that has the ability to make things
happen. Give them the chance to make things right for you. I believe Josiah can make things happen.
Best of luck!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top