Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2021 11:19:45 PM EDT
My son built a .223 cal pistol, and this is the first one out of many that we’ve built (rifles and pistols) that has problems.

He is having fail to fire issues, and looking at the primers, it looks like light hammer strikes (several different brands of ammo).  He has changed hammer springs, switched firing pins, and even swapped out the bolt and carrier group.  We’re stumped - suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the springs being installed correctly? I've seen improper installation lead to light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure; I’ll look at them tomorrow.  Thanks.

Yes!  He had the hammer spring on backwards, which I’m guessing reduced the strike force.  We’ll go pop some caps tomorrow and advise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote to check proper install of hammer spring.  Did he install hammer springs from the same company or different?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are shooting reloaded ammo the number one reason your rifle won't fire when using them is the shoulder hasn't been bumped enough for your rifle's chamber.

This is easy to test. Simply feed a new round in the chamber, then try to eject it with the charging handle. If the ammo is hard to extract you have discovered your problem. Your rifle is at, or shorter then SAAMI minimum headspace, your ammo is taller then that.

You may be able to swap bolts with one of your well worn rifles to split the difference. Headspace measurements grow over time, both the bolt lugs and the barrel extension wear as they mate with each other.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You could have excessive head space.  Either with the ammo, the chamber, or both.

Tony

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top