Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2021 6:59:45 PM EDT
Working on putting together a 14.5” colt socom barrel. Came used, and already drilled for the taper pins but no fsb. Found a used one and it lines up perfectly with the barrel and was able to drive both pins in. My question is, there’s some movement of the end cap between the fsb and shoulder of the barrel. How much movement is normal? I don’t have a feeler gauge or I’d measure the distance, but it’s enough to let the end cap wiggle and spin freely. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas blocks have a larger hole than the gas port so a little off-center shouldn't hurt.  The handguard will push the cap up against the FSB so you likely won't notice when shooting.  The real question is how close to top dead center it is for sighting in.  Your rear sight will be the indicator.  You were lucky to find one that lined up that well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gas blocks have a larger hole than the gas port so a little off-center shouldn't hurt.  The handguard will push the cap up against the FSB so you likely won't notice when shooting.  The real question is how close to top dead center it is for sighting in.  Your rear sight will be the indicator.  You were lucky to find one that lined up that well.
View Quote

What’s the best way to check that? Just eyeing it up it looks like it centered nicely when I checked it with the rear sight, but a quick eye ball isn’t the most exact way I’d imagine
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What’s the best way to check that? Just eyeing it up it looks like it centered nicely when I checked it with the rear sight, but a quick eye ball isn’t the most exact way I’d imagine
View Quote

Shoot it!

ETA:  When you zero the sights, if the rear sight ends up far to one side or the other it means your front isn't perfect.  But as long as you can zero you are good to go if your OCD isn't too bad
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure once you install the gas tube, the handguard ring won't spin no mo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Shoot it!

ETA:  When you zero the sights, if the rear sight ends up far to one side or the other it means your front isn't perfect.  But as long as you can zero you are good to go if your OCD isn't too bad
View Quote

Guess I’ll have to hurry up and finish this upper! Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty sure once you install the gas tube, the handguard ring won't spin no mo.
View Quote

Didn’t think of that! Good point
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top